Remember when? THINKABOWDIT #4

#1_Droogie said:
i know I know, but the other guitarist isnt good at ALL, aaaaaaand they were giving him all the solos, and he thought he could write everything for the band, and his riffs were just plain shit. it was horrible, but yeah, im probably going to leave, it kinda sucks when most of the band is out to actually get a "metallica sound" i wanted to kick that kid when he said that, He's like "so guys, who are we trying to sound like here? i would like to sound like metallica" and i just fucking shook my head, its pathetic how stupid some people are, i mean yeah, Metallica was good back when, but i dont want to sound like them, I want to sound like myself, thats why i scrap riffs i write if theyre anything like somebody else, i strive to be unique. idk, its just me, I dont like big bands because theyre harder to book gigs with, and theres more of a chance for fights to break out in....idk, but I will agree, Maiden does fine with the Murray/Gers/Smith lineup :headbang:
That's differant. if a guitarist isn't up to par, then he should be rhythm and stay away from leads. there are enough bands sounding like Metallica so with that said I feel your pain. wish you luck! :headbang:

I will show my age...

transformers
thundercats
action figures(to play with, not that new mcfarlane thing)

tight, ripped jeans
old school skateboarding
metal in the streets
white hightops

I was pretty young but I loved it.

kittybeast did a pretty good job of describing the scene. Suffice to say there was no internet, so there was a lot of tape trading and the radio and magazines were ... or at least SEEMED ... more important. And metal was just mainstream, pretty much. Tons of bands were on the radio.

I remember MTV's earliest days when people actually watched music videos. To this day I can't believe nobody wants to just watch music videos. MTV that first year had about 15 videos that they just kept looping. Maybe the occasional new one, but tons of the same stuff over and over.

I miss those days a little.

- having someone (usually an art major) paint your favorite album cover on the back of your denim jacket.
- listening to Metal Shop, and if you're from the NY area, Midnight Metal on 93.5 WRTN in New Rochelle, WCWP in Long Island, and WSOU in NJ. Also, watching the U68 (a UHF channel) Power Hour......
- running into Eric Carr at Herman's Sporting Goods a month after I graduated high school (1986)...and getting his autograph on a post-it, which I still have.
- sseing Anthrax at Lamour in Brooklyn in the summer of 86. It was so hot, Joey B poured a 2 liter of Sprite over us to cool us down.
- meeting Mustaine after an in-store in 1985. He was carrying a 98% empty bottle of JD.
- seeing Metallica w/Cliff, just once though.
- seeing Testament/Slayer at Lamour on the Reign in Blood tour.
- my band, Out Of Darkness, opening for Pantera in 1990, as well as Overkill, Wrathchild America, Danzig, Wargasm, Candlemass, and Toxik along the way.
- my neighbor taping the US Festival for me on Betamax.
- my first concert, Van Halen at MSG, 3/30/84.

• Discovering new bands when they first came out, and now they are metal legends ie: Metallica, Megadeth, Ratt, Quiet Riot, on and on etc.
  • Hit Parader Magazine
  • Circus Magazine
  • Seeing an ad for the first Motley Crue album and the pentagram in the background! and promise to "rip the plaster off your walls!"
  • KISS sans make-up
  • Hanging... just listening to the metal with friends
  • Black T Shirts making a statement of who you are!
  • Concerts like RUSH, VAN HALEN, and of course, KISS
  • Road trips to the next biggest town just to find a metal gem!
  • Metal Massacre 1
  • Long Hair
  • Sneaking into the state fair
  • Getting busted by the cops for "prowling" (just because we were out late at night walking the streets) ok... we were just looking for trouble!
just to name a few

Electronicoil said:
kittybeast did a pretty good job of describing the scene.
THANKS! :cool: I think we've all done well and had a nice mosh down memory lane. I had forgotten about my parachute pants.....I held onto them until 1994 in hopes someday I'd have that teen figure again. It's been great to see what everyone remembers and Eddie knows there's a lot we've all forgotten!!!

rokk said:
  • Discovering new bands when they first came out, and now they are metal legends ie: Metallica, Megadeth, Ratt, Quiet Riot, on and on etc.
  • Hit Parader Magazine
  • Circus Magazine
  • Seeing an ad for the first Motley Crue album and the pentagram in the background! and promise to "rip the plaster off your walls!"
  • KISS sans make-up
  • Hanging... just listening to the metal with friends
  • Black T Shirts making a statement of who you are!
  • Concerts like RUSH, VAN HALEN, and of course, KISS
  • Road trips to the next biggest town just to find a metal gem!
  • Metal Massacre 1
  • Long Hair
  • Sneaking into the state fair
  • Getting busted by the cops for "prowling" (just because we were out late at night walking the streets) ok... we were just looking for trouble!
just to name a few

Don't forget Motley and KIX on that "new bands when they came out" list. I was there, I remember. Circus sold out before Hit Parader did, then Kerrang! took over. The first time I saw KISS sans makeup I was at rokk's house. I remember that phone call when he told me they were naked of face, I was at his house in less than 10 minutes. Hanging with friends, black rock/metal t-shirts and road trips....all important. METAL MASSACRE 1. Got it on cd and is on my a-list. Sneaking into the Fair was just common sense at the time and getting busted for "prowling" was just a part of fence-running. :)

I reminisce about the good ole days a lot actually. Sometimes I really wish I could somehow travel back and stay there.
Anyways, good stuff I remember:
The smell of new records when you first opened them and pulled out the lyric sheet and read along.
Parting in the woods with a good fire going and cranking up tunes on my boom box. That is until the batteries died which playing tapes made them do all too fast.
Party's in a friends basement playing pool all night or the pop-up trailer (electric power so tunes blasting all night!)
Seeing Judas Priest 3 times: 84, 86 and 88. The 84 date being the first show on the American leg at which they filmed the video for Love Bites.
Seeing Iron Maiden (Powerslave) and Dio (Sacred Heart) in 85. Both had such huge and elaborate stage settings.
Ozzy in 84 for Bark at the Moon with Motley Crue opening (Shout at the Devil) with the girlfriend that I still wish I had.
Rush in 83 with Red Rider opening
Concert shirts being a lot more of a pain in the ass to acquire but once you did it was so damn cool.
Concerts being affordable.
Experiencing the genesis of the thrash/speed metal scene. Getting Slayer - Hell Awaits and Metallica - Ride the Lightning and just being blown away by it. Thinking "How could a band EVER be more heavy than this"
Painting the cover of Possessed - Seven Churches on the back of my denim vest with band pins and buttons and patches all over it as well.
Getting to see Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Exodus, M.O.D, Blessed Death, Dark Angel, At War, Sacrifice, Testament, Voi Vod, Kreator, Overkill all in small venues.
Tape trading.
Punk, hardcore and metal crossover
Dumping tons of quarters into video machines
Atari, Intelevision, Colecovision
Buying albums just because the cover looked cool or evil.
Jamming all the time and playing in shitty little garage bands.

It was all just so damn new and exciting.

tedvanfrehley said:
Great posts, guys!! I'd like to hear more about your celebrity encounters! Especially KB's partying with BLACK SABBATH?!?!?! How did you swing THAT????

In the early 80's a friend who's an ICM talent scout would take us to see gigs and sometimes got us passes to shows. He left us some passes for Sabbath at the Forum.

When we got to the forum we had a handful of passes. We had all access b.s. passes but no tickets, so all during the show we had to move, move move when security asked for tickets..at one point we managed to get into the pit and stood next to the largest stack of amps I've even seen. what?!?!? did you say something??? :tickled: Ian Gillan was doing the tour in 83 and the show was loud, heavy and wicked! :worship: After the show TB met us backstage and we hung out, then whoosh, a whole shit load of people were off to the Rainbow Bar and Grill. Was certainly an unforgettable evening going into a club when your underage but when going in with the Sabbath entourage.....who's going to ask for I.D.?!?!? Of course I had a camera because NO ONE was gonna believe me unless it was well documented! So a few pics here a few pics there....
bsandme.jpg

tonybsandme.jpg

after the parties, we had completely forgotten the car was a looooooong way away, we made it but when we got to the car someone had stolen the battery..it was like 9am the next day and we didn't give a rats ass!! We had just partied with Metal Legends!!! I believe it was the beginning of a "rocker-stalker" career for me! :tickled: They were some of the first metal legends I'd ever met and had the pleasure to hang out with. I learned always to take your camera!!! you never, never know what could happen :headbang:

#1_Droogie said:
im so fucking pissed i wasnt born around like '65 or something, being young just as the 80's began.......but yeah, you guys are lucky, growing up today sucks ass, theres no metal ANYWHERE in my town, all it is is people who only know metallica and CoB, thats it. Hence the people in my band for example, i dont know if im going to be a part of it anymore, because our drummer recruited a third guitarist, and so that makes us a 7-piece :yuk: idk, big bands just arent for me, 5-pieces are pushing it in MY book. anyways, im trying not to steal this thread :p so ill let you guys get back to reminiscing.........wish i could! :yell:

Trust me the 80's Sucked just as much as it does now ... ya wanna know what really sucked ...Being a Teen Metal Head in the 90's ... that was true hell

What I remember of the 80s

Hearing Saxon's "Stand up and be counted" on the BBC's "Fridaynight Rock Show" Tommy Vance ruled and it was the first NWOBHM song I ever heard.

Buying the first Iron maiden album and being blown away by it.

Seeing Judas Priest en Saxon perform in a sports hall in the south of the Netherlands and meeting Aardschok's Metal Mike again a few weeks after I crashed his first meeting with his editors

Going to see Saxon with Metal Mike and meeting Biff for the first time.
Starting to work for Aardschok magazine doing record and concert reviews and interviews.

Starting the Dynamo Hard Rock pub.
The Dynamo pub became famous in the whole of Europe and even the US
Bands from all over the world wanted to play there and many did.

Having a metal party at my place with all my friends and the members of Tokyo Blade, Satan, Avenger, Blitzkrieg and Mercyful Fate.

Meeting:

Ian Gillan, All of Accept in 1981 and becoming friends with them, All of Iron Maiden and chatting a long time with Paul Diannio and Steve Harris, Raven and becoming very good friends with them. Especially with John Gallagher, Tygers Of Pang Tang, Venom, Befriending Meryful Fate except their asshole drummer, Anvil, Exciter, Trance, Manowar, Motorhead [Lemmy RULES], Crossfire, Killer, Jaguar, Lars Ulrich [Complete and utter asshole], Heir Apparent, Savage Grace, Anthrax, Agent Steel, Helstar, Toxic, Crimson Glory, Laaz Rockit, Helloween, Overkill, Blitzkrieg [especially Brain Ross was a very nice guy].

I may have forgotten a few. Its been a long time...
Seeing all of the above and a few more. :headbang:

An Anthrax session in the Dynamo with Scott "NOT" Ian and Joey Belladonna being present. Joey had not learned all their lyrics yet so I was pushed on stage by my friends. So there I was singing next to Scott "NOT" Ian who played the guitar and Joey on my left filling in on those parts he knew. We played amongst others "Seek and destroy", and "Metal thrashing mad" Joey did not know the lyrics to those songs yet. This was just after they recorded "Spreading The Disease" [1985]. The reason Joey did not know the lyrics to these metal standards was because he came from the AOR scene and had almost no knowledge of the thrash metal scene.

After this session which lasted about an hour, their manager John Zazula offered me a band in the US. If I came with him he would get a band together for me in the US. He told me it would be a band in the style of U2 and The Cult. I told him I wanted a Metal band. He said that would not be possible. So i told him to put his U2 band where the sun don't shine!!

Seeing Crimson Glory live a few times and on the last gig stagediving and landing on my back on the ground. Asking my friends to pull out all the glass out of my back!!

Giving an interview on national radio about headbanging.

The first Dynamo Open Air festival and seeing it grow into the biggest metal festival in Europe and indeed the world in the mid 80s. I was not involved in the organization. I was already planning to go and study history.

Seeing the serious metal scene going to shit in the latter 80s.

Those are some of the things I remember.

Awwww Hawk! That's why I love ya. The HISTORY!!!

You guys rock.

I have met Gene $immon$...that's about the height of my metal moments....a few others I've bumped into and I'll list them just for fun, but to me...there is NOBODY that could make me about lose control of my bodily functions but Simmons.

Of course, I've never met ROTH or Eddie yet...but here are some of my brushes:

James Hetfield and Jason Newsted - Believe it or not, saw them in Steak N Shake about 2hrs before the show. I didn't speak to them but Jason said "Hey" to us on the way out as we were decked out in metallica garb.

Warren DeMartini - SUPER Kind guy. Gave me and a bud a pick and even let us strum the old "snakeskin" guitar!!! Of course, this is outside of a club they played that only holds about 300 people!

KIX - whew...real big deal there

wait a minute! THis gives me an idea! Please see THINKABOWDIT number 5!!!!!!!!

:lol:

You are the MAN!! Uncle Ted!! I would love to meet you in the flesh. I think that would be great. One day I am going to travel all throught the US and meet everyone who's on the board here!

Hawk said:
:lol:

You are the MAN!! Uncle Ted!! I would love to meet you in the flesh. I think that would be great. One day I am going to travel all throught the US and meet everyone who's on the board here!

yaknow we really should somehow schedual a UMOS gettogether ...I dont know how the fuck we would pull it off but I think that would be off the scale!!! we really really really should do something like that

Darth Kur said:
The smell of new records when you first opened them and pulled out the lyric sheet and read along. (Better than the smell of money!)
Concert shirts being a lot more of a pain in the ass to acquire but once you did it was so damn cool. (Yup!)
Concerts being affordable. ( My first KISS concert was $6 bucks! )
Buying albums just because the cover looked cool or evil. (All the time!)
Jamming all the time and playing in shitty little garage bands. ( songs like Hells Bells(AC/DC), Too the Top(Krokus), Ladies Room(KISS) etc. TOO MUCH FUN! ) (ps I played the drums)

Thanks to you! You mention few I missed that you have brought to my memory! Hey, its ok I am getting on in years! :D
My comments in parenthesis added!