Removing The Drapery Falls from the live set list

drapery falls is a classic. That doesn't means its my favorite song but a lot discovered opeth with that songs which they found on compilations and stuff like that (the demo version lasting 5 minutes) one of the songs that putted opeth where they are today and i can't imagine a concert without demon on the fall! i recall myself the damnation tour and the dvd... but i'ld like to hear old stuff from orchid like i.t.m.s.w.s. Or forest of october which i know they played before.

I think every band, no matter what, winds up with at least a few "signature" songs that they are most commonly known for. I was one of the ones who discovered Opeth through "The Drapery Falls" (full version), and I would certainly love to hear it at a concert. "Demon of the Fall" is one of my favorites from MAYH and I'd definitely want it, too. But, I also agree about making time for less common songs as well. Especially now that they have Per with them, I bet they could do a fantastic version of "Epilogue", complete with Hammond organ...or have they already done this? Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I've yet to see an Opeth concert.

Rose Immortal said:
I think every band, no matter what, winds up with at least a few "signature" songs that they are most commonly known for. I was one of the ones who discovered Opeth through "The Drapery Falls" (full version), and I would certainly love to hear it at a concert. "Demon of the Fall" is one of my favorites from MAYH and I'd definitely want it, too. But, I also agree about making time for less common songs as well. Especially now that they have Per with them, I bet they could do a fantastic version of "Epilogue", complete with Hammond organ...or have they already done this? Sorry if it sounds stupid, but I've yet to see an Opeth concert.

wow if they did epilogue, i seriously might have multiple orgasms, even though i'm a male.

Hell No! Removing The Drapery Falls from the live set is utter blasphemy!

It's the song I started on and I think it's a damn good song to give to someone who's never heard Opeth because it starts mellow then transitions nicely.

Oy, Drapery bores the hell out of me these days. I still think it's a beautiful song, it was one of my first Opeth songs, the first one I really got into. It just bores me to tears, and it's not even from overlistening to it. I'd be happy to see it switched up with another song.

I'm with Rose on this one, to an extent.

I had heard of Opeth because they were on the bill for Danzig's Blackest of the Black festival... I'm a Danzig fan, so I looked up the other bands and Opeth was by far the most interesting, I had to check them out.
I'm actually the one that sent "The Drapery Falls" to Rose, the day I downloaded it. I was really blown away... CRUSHING all-out asskicking metal, but with secluded acoustic passages, just amazing.

I saw them at Harpo's in Detroit, and I was happy to see it performed there.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is... they're constantly gaining new fans, and a lot of the reason is because of that song... it may be old to veteran fans by now, but it's refreshing for the new fans to hear.

Now, I can see "The Drapery Falls" and "Demon of the Fall" staying... but I think they should oust "Deliverance." Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the song... but if you have three trademark songs in an eight song set, and then two more new songs, then you only have room for three older ones. I can see why they have "necessary" songs, but seeing as they have a limited set anyway, they should keep the "necessary" songs to a bare minimum. Besides, what's the point of "Deliverance" being necessary anyway? It's not their most popular song, nor their typical closer.

Themoor666 said:
dude they played Drapery Falls, the Moor and Demon when I saw them... did I just get lucky or something?
i swear you said you went to the bogarts show. in that case dont forget they also played april ethereal. i passed out when i heard the first note so i didnt get to hear the rest of it but i was told it was awesome ;)

I wouldn't want them to remove 'The Drapery Falls' from the Setlist.
It is an awesome song in it's own right and is very fun for Moshers.
( Due to the mellow-heavy swapping, makes one hell of a pit. )
When I saw that song live I was in the pit, boy was that awesome!
Also at that same concert they also played 'The Moor' and 'Demon of the Fall'
They are all necessary songs.

dorian gray said:
i swear you said you went to the bogarts show. in that case dont forget they also played april ethereal. i passed out when i heard the first note so i didnt get to hear the rest of it but i was told it was awesome ;)
Although the Lamentations tour (Orlando) was my first Opeth show in my 5 years of fandom, by looking at older setlists, it was possibly the best setlist in years.

You guys know that the odds of them bringing back an Orchid or MR song are very, very slim. I think it would be great if they tried giving Moonlapse Vertigo another try. If Harvest and one of the BWP bonus tracks make it, I would be happy. Drapery Falls isn't one of my favorites, but it makes a great live track. I'd rather keep Deliverance over that one.

I'd love to see Drapery off the set-list. It's a great song but I dont consider it anything special by their stadards. Give me White Cluster or Advent any day...

no! Leave Drapery.. I just want to hear Credence.. but I think its been played already and stuff..

I would hope The Drapery Falls stays in. Would Rush ever not play "Tom Sawyer"? Would Slayer ever leave out "Angel of Death"?

Lengthening Opeth's set might be difficult just due to their songs. Ten ten minute songs already puts you over an hour and a half.