Retro Bands - Good fun or a detriment to progression?

Coincidentally, most of those are "try to be different" bands that usually suck. Some are OK though.

uneXpect, Diablo Swing Orchestra, maudlin of the Well, and Anubi all are somewhat musically worthy to many, but I can understand ELS and SGM.

Problem is I could spout bands out of my ass for hours that disprove his statement.

Hours? Either way, it is endeniable that by far the vast majority of music produced today is not much more than regurgitations of past works with minor tweaks.

Hours? Either way, it is endeniable that by far the vast majority of music produced today is not much more than regurgitations of past works with minor tweaks.

Hyperbole, but yes the mass majority of modern music is work from the past tweaked to be modernized or even "unique" in a way. Perhaps The Greys post made use of a hyperbole as well, who knows.

Retro is a viable form of musical expression. If there could be no music that is based on a very large degree of music from the past, at present there would be no Doom, Death , Black, Thrash, or old school type bands etc. at all. All music is based on music that has come before it whether or not they throw a bunch different influences into than the originals did or not. Lots of retro bands add a lot of cross breeding of different bands of that era and then something of themselves as well so in that respect they are still playing their own music.