return to form after comercial years

whitey131

May 2, 2005
I was listening to Cryptic writings the other day and was thinking that I'm not sure if I think comercial megadeth is any better than comercial metalllica. I will say in the "return to form" records Megadeth wins hands down.

They have been more consistent for shure, but IMO consistently boring. All Megadeth songs are in the same boring midpaced tempo. When I listen to Megadeth I always think "cool, now when is the real shit kicking in". They always have a cool progression in their music to something that never happens. In that respect I think Early Metallica is far more "exciting" music. I am not a big fan of either but I never got the fuzz about megadeth.

Seen them live 3 or 4 times, there's just not much happening on stage, in that repspect IMO Metallica also wins. Hetfield is a far better frontman IMO.

Cryptic Writings was my first Megadeth album and it's got a special place in my heart, so I can't really say anything bad about it. Risk however is just a bad album. System is good, United is not as good and Endgame is great.

I will say this though: Megadeth, especially in the 90's, is better than Metallica in every way, except for Hetfield is the better frontman. But when talking just music, Metallica is Megadeth's bitch. In my opinion, anyway.

I actually liked Cryptic Writings, its different from the old stuff but still allright --- Risk on the other hand is a steaming pile of dog turds.

As far as Metallica, I wrote them off after Load, but came back on board for Death Magnetic.

I think "United Abominations" is one of the best Megadeth records up to date, even "The World Needs A Hero" and "The System Has Failed" cannot be even compared with Shit Anger.

Risk was really bad. I don't think "World needs a hero" was really their return to form though. "Ssytem has failed" was good but UA was awesome.

Risk is what made me write off this band. I didn't even bother taking it to the CD depot to trade in for something else. I just straight up smashed it and said rest in peace Megadeth. Mustaine even admitted basically in his book that it's a piece of shit and he tried to blame Marty for it. However, Endgame is what got me back in to them. I still haven't checked anything else out that they've done in the past several years. The years haven't been too kind to Mustaine's voice. It's a shame they haven't really promoted Endgame too much live especially since most of the songs were recorded and written to suit his aging voice. And I bet Broderick is chomping at the bit to play some of his own shit too.

I think Cryptic Writings is way better than anything they've released since that came out. Endgame is just silly thanks to the cartoon soloing of Chris Broderick. Mustaine must have thought, "This guy can play even faster than Marty, that must mean he's better!" When, in actual fact, Broderick's solos are as boring as fuck.

I was listening to Cryptic writings the other day and was thinking that I'm not sure if I think comercial megadeth is any better than comercial metalllica. I will say in the "return to form" records Megadeth wins hands down.

Off topic a bit? Not even an indicator of OT in the topic?

Megadeth sucks. They always bored me. There was some decent stuff they did waaayyy back in the day. Killing is my business..So far so good so what, peace sells, and RIP had some decent stuff. But overall I think Megadeth is for technical guitar playing nerds. I find it over produced and boring.

For thrash metal I'd take Exodus, Kreator, Testament, and yes Anthrax (when they were Thrash) over them any day

Off topic a bit? Not even an indicator of OT in the topic?

Megadeth sucks. They always bored me. There was some decent stuff they did waaayyy back in the day. Killing is my business..So far so good so what, peace sells, and RIP had some decent stuff. But overall I think Megadeth is for technical guitar playing nerds. I find it over produced and boring.

For thrash metal I'd take Exodus, Kreator, Testament, and yes Anthrax (when they were Thrash) over them any day

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Risk doesn't bother me much now - I don't hate or resent the album like I did when it came out - probably because now that I know it's not their current direction and was just a blip on the radar.

I will say in the "return to form" records Megadeth wins hands down.

Hm, i think The System Has Failed was great, half of United Abominations was great (the other half sounded like one long generic song to me). But i don't get the fuzz about Endgame. Technically great, but not one of the songs gets stuck in my head, not one i wanted to hear again, not one i could relate to a name.

But i don't get the fuzz about Endgame. Technically great, but not one of the songs gets stuck in my head, not one i wanted to hear again, not one i could relate to a name.

There's some truth to this. Right now I'm desperately trying to recall ONE riff or one chorus from the album...looks like I'm failing.

Hm, i think The System Has Failed was great, half of United Abominations was great (the other half sounded like one long generic song to me). But i don't get the fuzz about Endgame. Technically great, but not one of the songs gets stuck in my head, not one i wanted to hear again, not one i could relate to a name.

There's some truth to this. Right now I'm desperately trying to recall ONE riff or one chorus from the album...looks like I'm failing.

How The Story Ends. The best song since Trust IMO.