Revalver MK III hookup?

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
Hi all,
I currently have a digitech RP355 which I play guitar through with headphones:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/DigiTech-RP355-Processor-Recording-Interface/dp/B00266N6L6[/ame]

I have been looking at getting ReValver MKIII, but I am not sure about what connections to make to get my guitar to the PC. I have a presonus firebox as well incase I need it:

http://www.birdlandmusic.net/item-P...box-6x10-FireWire-Audio-Interface?src=froogle

I WAS going to get guitar rig which comes with the pedal and all, but I have been reading that Revalver is better for metal tones.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

I WAS going to get guitar rig which comes with the pedal and all, but I have been reading that Revalver is better for metal tones.

Good choice, Guitar Rig sucks for metal tones. Plus, I don't think you can use your own impulses with that (not 100% sure though).

To hook your guitar to your computer you will need:
1. Guitar
2. Cables
3. Di Box - You may be able to use your firebox if it has an "Instrument" input.
4. Interface (your firebox)
5. DAW

Hook your guitar to your DI Box/Instrument port. (If you use a DI box you then must hook the DI Box to the preamp input on your interface.) Then record a dry track in your DAW and add Revalver as an insert. TADA!!! your track magically sounds like it playing from an amp. Note: I believe Revalver has a stand alone application as well. If you are using this skip the part about the using the DAW.

IMO...... try using the free amp sims and ir loaders first before dropping money on Revalver (You might be suprised how good some of them sound).

awesome, thank you. Well my firebox only has a line in input on the back...so I guess that won't work. Is there something really good I can buy that I can run my guitar into and then plug the device directly to my computer so i don't have to worry about the firebox? otherwise, do you recommend any good DI's to get (is a DI the same thing as a preamp?)

Second vote for free amp sims and impulses first, TSE X50 or Lepou Lecto get some pretty damn great metal tones.

Although I have heard some great tones from Revalver too. But yeah, try those ones out first.

DI's and Preamps are completely different. Those guys actually mean they hook their DI box to the preamp. Direct Boxes convert a Low Z signal to a High Z signal without signal degradation. If you don't use a DI Box you may still be able to get a signal but it would probably be muddy and undefined. A preamp brings a mic's signal up to line level. If you tried to use the mic without it, the signal would be to quiet to do anything with.

So the best thing I can do is to get a DI box and a preamp, and run the guitar into the DI box, and the DI box into the preamp, and the preamp to my PC? Price is not really an issue, I just want to know how to get the best sound possible. Any good DI's or preamps you guys recommend specifically for electric guitar recording? I don't really need anything with cab and amp presets since I will be getting that from revalver.

edit:
I just found this...which seems to be a DI and a preamp in 1.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...-Driver-DI-Instrument-Preamp-Pedal?sku=151799
would this work if I connected my guitar to it, and then plugged it into my firebox, then my firebox to my PC via firewire?

Your interface should have a mic input. That input has a built in preamp. just DI into that and your good to go. I guess that sansamp thing would work. Never met anyone who used it. If you want a DI box you can get a decent used one only a few dollars, but you get the general idea.

the firebox mic preamps (at least the first one, not sure about the second) will accept a 1/4" input. it's meant for plugging your guitar in. seriously, all you need is the firebox.

posted three times so it gets your attention and you do not waste any money. ive been doing this for years, from firebox to firestudio.