Reverie/Harlequin Forest

I don't know what that feel is, but it certainly isn't jazzy. The start to Beneath the Mire is probably my least favourite part on all of GR. It completely lowers your expectations for a great song, but then that goddamn amazing second riff comes in. Good save, Opeth :)

Moonlapse said:
I don't know what that feel is, but it certainly isn't jazzy. The start to Beneath the Mire is probably my least favourite part on all of GR. It completely lowers your expectations for a great song, but then that goddamn amazing second riff comes in. Good save, Opeth :)

i agree..that first minute and a half or so is the only part of the whole album i try to skip

R/HF is a great song but i cant really say its my favourite. i find most of the songs on GR are basically equal in their attraction. theyre all different and completely varied, so theres something different to like about them all.

I actually like Beneath the Mire less than everything besides The Grand Conjuration. I dunno...

tun tun tun tuun tuuun tun tun tuuun tuuuuuuun
tun tun tun tun tuuuun tuuuun.

^beneath the mire intro sucks, hehehe, i remember when i purchased GR when that song began, i was with a friend listening to the new record and i was trying to show him how good opeth are. but then that song started and i felt sooooo fucking ashamed and embarrassed... he gave me the look like: oh sure, if they are so great why does that song is so shitty and cheesy?

but anyway, once you get past that stupid intro the song kicks ass, especially the part: decrepit body, wearing transparent skin............. wept for solace and submit to faith......

yeah, BTM is great, just that the intro sucks!

Godhead's Lament said:
When I played the CD in my car, when the really short track plays right after Atonement, which I'm guessing is "Reverie", the track time is not moving. The music is playing but the track time remains at 0:00 and as soon as Harlequin Forest starts, the time starts again. Thought it was quite cool.

Awww. Mine does not do that, it actually goes backwards. It goes from like -0:20 or however long it is down to zero then Harlequin Forest starts. Cool, but not as cool.

As for the song, I still dig it. The ending does not really do anything for me, but aside from that, good tune.

Godhead's Lament said:
I'm starting to like it alot, now that I listen to it more. A nifty thing that I noticed about this track:

When I played the CD in my car, when the really short track plays right after Atonement, which I'm guessing is "Reverie", the track time is not moving. The music is playing but the track time remains at 0:00 and as soon as Harlequin Forest starts, the time starts again. Thought it was quite cool.

The track time aint moving because its not a real song. as you probably know, there are 2-3 empty seconds between each 2 tracks on a regular CD. so in this case these 2-3 secs are actually 66 seconds. i believe they did it like that because they wanted to show there is a connection between those two parts - Reverie and Harlequin Forest. two songs in row wouldnt make the same effect...

And about Harlequin Forest, i think its the best song in Ghost Reveries O_O

'Tis my favourite off the album. Hadn't exactly seen it overrated at all, though. IMO, GoP is overrated. Definitely. BotH and R/HF are my two favs off GR.

I hate these ^ type of abbreviations.

Godhead's Lament said:

I think that the little passage at the end of Atonement is merely an interlude.
A good one as well. Are you guys sure it's called Reverie? I thought "Reverie"
was the first part of the actual song "Reverie/Harlequin forest" and not the
interlude.

winters epilogue said:
Awww. Mine does not do that, it actually goes backwards. It goes from like -0:20 or however long it is down to zero then Harlequin Forest starts. Cool, but not as cool.

As for the song, I still dig it. The ending does not really do anything for me, but aside from that, good tune.

My car's CD player doesn't even play Reverie; it skips right over it. When I first got the album, I only had been listening to it in my car for the first week or so. The first time I listened to it on a different CD player, I was like "Woah, what the hell is this?"

The CD player in my buddy's car lists Reverie/Harlequin Forrest both as track five, but starts at a negative number and counts up to zero during the Reverie part.

The CD player on my computer counts Reverie as part of Attonement and just adds the running time of Reverie to the total time of Attonement.

Strange how different players handle this little snippet of music.

BreathingShadow said:
i agree..that first minute and a half or so is the only part of the whole album i try to skip

i love the beginning of BTM, it reminds me of Faith No More, but awesomer...:headbang:

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, I would, but then I'd miss the amazing part at 0:47. It really is a shame that it goes back into that first riff afterwards.

What's wrong with the first BTM riff? I have always liked it...

My personal favorite from GR is Baying or GoP... for a calm song, it's Isolation Years.

Agreed Moonlapse. I'm sorry but the only song I cannot stand on GR is Beneath the Mire. It's a mediocore song with a horrible intro. I always skip it.

blimey said:
Agreed Moonlapse. I'm sorry but the only song I cannot stand on GR is Beneath the Mire. It's a mediocore song with a horrible intro. I always skip it.

yes but then you'd be missing one of the most amazing solos ive heard. As for Reverie/Harlequin Forest, the little interlude is clearly called Reverie because they put / inbetween it and Harlequin Forest. The first part of the song was pretty much made for that vocal melody which is one of the best ive heard Mike do....Good song unpredictable as always..