Review Thread

Feoreunn

New Metal Member
Sep 24, 2008
It is quite presumptuous to start a review thread to publish your very own review of "As The World Bleeds", but forgive me please and enjoy!

Presumptuous? Yes. Appropriate? Absolutely! :headbang:

Well written, with some very funny lines and interesting ways of saying things. Nicely done!

GREAT opening: "elephant with the miter in the room" = :D:D

DROWN NEVER TAKES OFF????????????????????????????????? WHAT???!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know who sees this thread, you're NOT going to be disappointed by Drown!!

Hi Feoreunn, and welcome to the forums! Thank you for your thoughtfulness. And this is a place where anyone can come share their opinions, ideas, etc. Hey, you share yours, we share ours, it’s all good… and Drown is just too mind-blowing a song – from beginning to final climax - not to speak up for!

Not going to say anything about the new album, except I just wanted to let everyone know, if you're concerned now that you might be disappointed the first time you play Drown - YOU WON'T BE!! \M/ :headbang:
:OMG:

GREAT opening: "elephant with the miter in the room" = :D:D

Yeah, I liked that one too. :)

I thought it was a well written review. A few things really caught me eye:

Opener “I AM” runs for eleven minutes

ALRIGHT!!!!!!! It's cool when an album opens with big beast of track - like Nightwish did with The Poet and the Pendulum on Dark Passion play.

“As The World Bleeds” assembles both the classic sound of Theocracy and a more experimental, dare I say, progressive direction,

Also encouraging. Nice to know they're keeping the core sound while branching out somewhat too, though I got that impression from the teaser.

The often darker and more serious tone of “As The World Bleeds”

I was wondering if that would be the case after seeing the title and the album cover. I've always felt Theocracy was especially good at dealing with darker themes, such as on Laying the Demon to Rest, Twist of Fate, and Mirror of Souls. I appreciate that.

Very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

DROWN NEVER TAKES OFF????????????????????????????????? WHAT???!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know who sees this thread, you're NOT going to be disappointed by Drown!!

Hi Feoreunn, and welcome to the forums! Thank you for your thoughtfulness. And this is a place where anyone can come share their opinions, ideas, etc. Hey, you share yours, we share ours, it’s all good… and Drown is just too mind-blowing a song – from beginning to final climax - not to speak up for!

Not going to say anything about the new album, except I just wanted to let everyone know, if you're concerned now that you might be disappointed the first time you play Drown - YOU WON'T BE!! M/ :headbang:
:OMG:

I can understand what he is saying. I think it is a great song, but I think it is missing a little something to give it lift.

I'm thinking I Am is going to be my favorite track. And now that I hear it's 11 minutes, even better.

I can understand what he is saying. I think it is a great song, but I think it is missing a little something to give it lift.

That is what I meant, yes. In an album full of standouts a slightly weaker track is more noticeable. If anything, this speaks for the rest of the album and it is in no way a bad song, so.

Thanks for the kind responses, everyone :)

Oh and Rawshik, I know that "I AM" is my favorite track ;) Getting better with every spin.

How have some of you already listened to the album?? Or are we just talking about the teaser?

How have some of you already listened to the album?? Or are we just talking about the teaser?

Promo copies. Bands send them to radio people, journalists, reviewers, etc. ahead of the commercial release. The hope is that these people will promote the upcoming album.

As far as a slightly negative review of Drown goes, I'm assuming that - though Feoreunn may not want to say so - a part of a reviewer's job is to review the good *and* the bad. Even on albums you love, there's something you consider not quite as stellar. If you're writing what's intended to be a fair overall review (and not just a fan rave post), then you kind of need to include some negative just to make the review balanced. Probably the same if you slammed an album as mostly horrible - you'd still probably try to pick at out least one thing you could praise. Just sounds like well-rounded reviewing to me.

Also, he's writing towards more of the general metal audience, not Theocracy's already diehard fans. Of course we are going to love every song, but amongst the wider audience, even those who like the album are not going to think every song is perfect.

Remember folks, very few albums are perfect "best album in history" candidates, despite what we diehard fans think ;)

It's part of the job to talk about both positive and negative aspects of an album, yes. Let me tell you that it's a neverending balancing act not to geek out too much on a band you love, like I love Theocracy. But in the end I always try to present an idea of what the album sounds and feels like and leave the part where I'm singing along to it all through the house out of it :D

Matt has let me listen to some of the demos and such. I will say that I have not heard the FINAL version of "Drown", so some things could be different. Once again, it is a great song, but I do notice some typical Matt Smith elements missing from this on, in my opinion. But a bad Matt song, can be another persons gold mine. :)

That's how I felt since the first album. To rate the songs, you need a new scale.

Haha just goes to show how different people hear things differently. "Drown" was the one I was pushing to be the single, so... ;)

I love that song. Different strokes, no offense taken. :)

Different strokes... for different folks!!! :hotjump:

How about a power metal cover of that song, ey? :lol::headbang::cool: