43. Shadows Fall
44. AC/DC
45. Obituary
46. Electric Wizard
47. Eyehategod
48. Death
49. Cathedral
50. Hatebreed

I always suspected that Soundgarden was the 2nd heaviest band ever. Now I have proof. </sarcasm> And I appoligize in advance if this has already been posted.

Black Sabbath is the most over-rated band that's ever existed.

Pantera is #37? Did an intern write this list?

ha ha ha hilarious.

At least they included some of the more obscure heavy bands, i.e. Swans (who should be higher up the list)

but "heavy" is completely subjective, so pointless to think about it, even more so since that seems to be a list of random bands drawn out of a hat.

maybe more like

1. MELVINS
2. SWANS
3. SLEEP

and I freakin' love Soundgarden and Zep, but 2 and 3 heaviest? yowzah!

I bet somebody got fired over not putting Beatles near the top.

Everytime I see these things I want to throw someone through a wall.

Yeah, I know. Where is Michael Bolton, Bryan Adams or Kenny Logins? WTF.

Actually, I'm gonna go drop a Kenny Logins right now.

7-14-03soundoff_story2.jpg

*plays song at the beginning of Caddyshack*

Pfft, wheres your Hypocrisy's, and your Dying Fetus's, and your Kataklysms, and the other thousand bands heavier then most of that list.

these lists are always completely rediculous. my little sister could make a more accurate list than that. Nine Inch Nails and Monster Magnet beat out Pantera???

anyway, i say we just ignore these from now on. the only thing that they accurately show is the ignorance of the people who are running things.

i bet it is just relying on the impact that X band had on the most people. and how much of a stir they had on people or influence. as unheavy as black sabbath was, they influenced a shit load of bands. but where's the priest and maiden? considering this is about mainstream artists. but wait i forgot, you probably had to pay to be on this list.

neonblak said:
01. Black Sabbath
04. Neurosis
06. Kyuss
08. The Melvins
10. Godflesh
12. Isis
13. Sleep
17. Swans

these are somewhat reasonable, especially Swans, Neurosis and Godflesh... all good choices

I haven't heard Sleep before </poser> but their other stuff with "Om" is pretty damn intense.

The order needs some rearrangement though.

I might have recommended something else, but seriously, it doesn't get any more heavy than "Drop out of Life with Bong in Hand, Follow the Smoke toward the Riff filled Land"... It's like understanding what it's like to be neal.

Although I hate these sort of "lists" extremely, I have to say that you guys bashing Sabbath are waaaaay off base. These guys basically invented heavy metal and all of the heavy bands that we love would not exist if it weren't for them. They absolutely deserve to be at the top of this list, and it would be totally outrageous to not put them there. Would you ever say "My Grandpa is a weak-ass pussy....even though he fought in WWII, busted his ass working on the railroad, and made a good living that kept our family name going for generations to come"? Come on guys, show a little respect.

This is the dumbest list that I've seen since the last one, but I have to give kudos to these clowns for #38!!!!

How the fuck could they have At The Gates on there, but not CARCASS???

Fuck a Revolver magazine.

p.s. For those who don't know already, Sleep is basically High On Fire.

Nirvana...WTF? Where is NEVERMORE come on. If Opeth is on there so should NEVERMORE. And if Nirvana is on it where the fuck is Alice in Chains. I hate these lists they are usually way off. I agree for the most part with Sabbath tho. They are the fathers of all that is heavy. But, you could easily reduce that list to the top 25. lol