Revolver Magazine: 50 Heaviest Bands

I have to agree with MetalKingdom here.
Sheesh people, Zep and Sabbath WROTE THE BOOK on metal. Is it grindcore, fuck no, but there would be no metal (or its 50 sub genre's) without these two.
Seriously, listen to every really good metal band on the last 20 years and you can hear Sabbath (to a lesser degree Zep) influences throughout.

To say that Sabbath was overrated is like saying that Babe Ruth was a minor leauge player. Or Mozart was a hack. Edison was dim minded, etc.

At this point, believing the list at all is pointless :D It's as if they took a list of names and randomized it.

Souls of Black said:
I have to agree with MetalKingdom here.
Sheesh people, Zep and Sabbath WROTE THE BOOK on metal. Is it grindcore, fuck no, but there would be no metal (or its 50 sub genre's) without these two.
Seriously, listen to every really good metal band on the last 20 years and you can hear Sabbath (to a lesser degree Zep) influences throughout.

To say that Sabbath was overrated is like saying that Babe Ruth was a minor leauge player. Or Mozart was a hack. Edison was dim minded, etc.

no, because the difference is that babe ruth, mozart and edison all produced good product. sabbath may have paved the way, and for that they do deserve respect, but the music they made was just boring and bland.

Devy_Metal said:
no, because the difference is that babe ruth, mozart and edison all produced good product. sabbath may have paved the way, and for that they do deserve respect, but the music they made was just boring and bland.

You know, comments like these really chap my hide (that's cowboy speak for "shit like that pisses me off"). Your opinion is a very young one, although when I was a kid, me and all of my metalhead friends thought Sabbath ruled. And I grew up in the heyday of Metallica and Slayer - two of metals greatest bands who will tell you how much Sabbath meant to them.

First of all, you have to look at time and place and context when considering the musical exploits of the older bands. Sabbath was IMMENSELY heavy for the late 60's/early 70's, and there was nothing that even came close. I don't even think that the term "Devil Music" was even used until they came along and scared the living shit out of EVERYBODY. Second, what do you really know about music? Whenever people say things like, "They are very overrated", there must be some sort of qualification for you to be able to make such a statement other than the fact that you just don't like it. What it usually means is "Everybody else gets it, but I don't".

did someone pull that list right out of their ass or something? I could see that as being the top 50 most influential, or perhaps even heavy for their time, but Im sorry, (and I love sabbath) Sabbath is currently nowhere near being the heaviest band out there.

Will Bozarth said:
we'd need some cool kinda.......

woah wtf. i forgot what i was going to post

Dr: Sir, I'm afraid you have Alzheimer's disease and cancer.
Patient: Jesus..... well at least I dont have cancer.