Revolver Magazine: 50 Heaviest Bands

NinjaKitten said:
Not at all. Im actually a huge sound garden fan, theyre just not the 2nd heaviest band there is, thats for sure. Try downloading a song from them called "big dumb sex" its both catchy and hilarious.
Nittah! :eek:
anyway yeah Big Dumb Sex was pretty much a spoof of alot of songs being released at that time frame...kind of a mix between hair metal and sex laden pop songs...it truly is hilarious!!
and you know? they are pretty heavy..i dunno about second most heavy but they should be on the list of most!

metalkingdom said:
Lol. Now that's some HEAVY shit!

fucking totally. That song is so heavy and badass that it makes me want to walk around in aviators calling people by gay ass nicknames like Iceman and Maverick. I never go anywhere without my wingman, Kenny Logins.

LET ME THINK
(let you think about what?????)
ABOUT GIRLS
(and what else???)
AND MONEY AND NEW CLOTHES
(and what do I get???)
THIRTY NIGHTS
(uh huhhhhhh)
OF VIOLENCE
(yeahhhhhhhhhh)
AND SUGAR TO LOVE

Sinister Mephisto said:
I kind of like the Deftones. Pretty unique. They're probably the worst live band ever though.

Oh man, I have to tell you.... I saw these guys on a pre-tour warmup show for "Around The Fur" at a tiny fucking club in San Diego, and it was one of the BEST shows I've ever seen! The band sounded incredible, there was so much energy and vibe, the 150 or so people (it was sold out) were in a complete frenzy....it seemed like they were walking on the walls. I was actually dragged there by a band that I was producing (who happened to be pretty tight with the band - they are even mentioned in the liner notes of said album), and I was definitely NOT a fan at the time. This show changed that. "Around The Fur" is one of my absolute favorite records of all time. Killer songs, great energy, and one of the best productions that you'll ever hear. "White Pony" is ok, and everything else after is just not my cup of tea.

You can thank Chino Moreno for giving birth to all of this faggy "screamo" or "metalcore" or whatever it's called.

zmetallica said:
yeah around the fur and Adrenaline are decent albums. good hard rock stuff.

yep, I loved those cds, i hated white pony at first time around, but the more i listened to it, the more i appreciated it. Anything afterwards I really cant get into except their cover of Simple Man, and I kinda liked Minerva when I heard it on the radio.

I wouldnt say that he's to blame for emo / screamo / bullshito vocals.

Wow, I just said alot about the Deftones.. *prepairs for flames from Will and Bill* :lol:

metalkingdom said:
Your opinion is a very young one, although when I was a kid, me and all of my metalhead friends thought Sabbath ruled. And I grew up in the heyday of Metallica and Slayer - two of metals greatest bands who will tell you how much Sabbath meant to them.

I really don't like that argument. I'm sure that Slayer and Metallica will say that without Sabbath, there would be no Slayer or Metallica or metal, for that matter. But...so what? That doesnt mean they played, what I consider "proper" heavy metal. I don't mean to be an elitist, or to take anything away from Black Sabbath...I know theyre one of the most popular and influencial bands of all time, but the music they made, however dark and heavy it was for its time, just doesn't fall under my classification of heavy metal. Like you said, you grew up in the days of Slayer and Metallica. These two bands are my definition of heavy metal, especially Slayer (and the 1st 4 Metallica albums). In my opinion, and this is where things get down to personal taste I guess... "proper" heavy metal has speed to it...I think it's one of the most basic fundamentals of heavy metal. I don't mean Crazy Train speed, but rather Angel of Death speed, or Battery speed...rooted in extremely thrashy drumming. That's why bands like Godsmack aren't metal at all in my opinion, but rather hard rock...even if they downtune, solo etc etc. Other bands in today's metal scene have simply evolved from metal's core and the sub-genre shit kind of gets me pissed. Like "doom" metal. It's the slowest metal of any genre...but people still consider them metal...is that right? I'm not so sure, but again, this is just my opinion. Again, I don't think I'm an "elitist," but I do admit to having a very very picky definition for "metal."

First of all, you have to look at time and place and context when considering the musical exploits of the older bands. Sabbath was IMMENSELY heavy for the late 60's/early 70's, and there was nothing that even came close. I don't even think that the term "Devil Music" was even used until they came along and scared the living shit out of EVERYBODY.

I understand.

Second, what do you really know about music? Whenever people say things like, "They are very overrated", there must be some sort of qualification for you to be able to make such a statement other than the fact that you just don't like it. What it usually means is "Everybody else gets it, but I don't".

Being honest, I just call it how I see it. I think there is a huge difference between rock and metal and I don't let my opinion sway simply because a band played 19XX "style" metal. Kiss, Deep Purple, etc, for me are rock bands. Like I said, Slayer is a good definition of a 100% metal band, taking everything into account. Agression counts for a lot because it's the single most prominent factor in some of metal's greatest historical bands like Slayer, Metallica, etc. Even today's truly great metal bands like Nevermore, Borknagar, Strapping Young lad have speed as one of the, if not the biggest common demoninator.

In closing...you're right to an extent that it all comes down to personal preference and I am positive that there is a huge generational argument to be made...I don't know how old you are but you're older than I am. I'm not saying youre wrong and I'm right, but just trying to make you see where I'm coming from. I think we both have very valid opinions.

metal!!!:headbang:

yo dude, I think your idea of heavey metal is mostly "thrash" but like you said, there's many sub categories of "metal" theres Doom, Death, Black, Thrash, Heavey, Speed, Power, Progressive, and they are all different. I think bands like sabbath we the pioneers of doom metal, being that they were all about playing slow, melodic, dark sounding music. So you can't say that they aren't "metal" because they helped create it.. no I dont think that if there was no sabbet there would be no metal... I cant compare slayer to sabbath at all... but take bands like Candlemass... no sabbath, no candlemass.

And I like all those genre's of metal (well... except black and power) and I like it when people try to mix the genres up a bit, its much more interesting to me.

Tempest said:
yo dude, I think your idea of heavey metal is mostly "thrash" but like you said, there's many sub categories of "metal" theres Doom, Death, Black, Thrash, Heavey, Speed, Power, Progressive, and they are all different.

yea true. every genre you named except for doom metal all have speed as their commonality. so, im not saying its correct, but in theory you could make the case that speed is the single most important factor in being a metal band, don't you agree?

I think bands like sabbath we the pioneers of doom metal, being that they were all about playing slow, melodic, dark sounding music. So you can't say that they aren't "metal" because they helped create it.. no I dont think that if there was no sabbet there would be no metal... I cant compare slayer to sabbath at all... but take bands like Candlemass... no sabbath, no candlemass.

but bands like slayer took certain themes (darkness, devil worship etc) from sabbath and then fused those with their style of music and created a particular sound. again, as you say "you cant say they arent metal because they helped create it" and i say you can say that, and that is the difference in opinion. sabbath might be the original "heavy" or "dark" band but from them, bands evolved and created heavy metal. my opinion.

And I like all those genre's of metal (well... except black and power) and I like it when people try to mix the genres up a bit, its much more interesting to me.

yea true. i agree it can be very interesting.