Rhythmically complex metal

Jimm O)))

Oct 11, 2007
Alright, first of all, I consider myself a pretty big tech-metalhead. Big fan of most things technical. Anyways, I've recently gotten into stuff that focuses on more rythmically technical (i.e. Coprofago, Obsidian, Meshuggah). Anyone have any recommendations for music of the like?

"Theory in Practice" is right up your alley. They're quite the Technical Death MetaL band, although the vocals aren't very good. Get 'Third Eye Function' & 'Colonizing the Sun'.

"Spiral Architect" is an amazing band. You should check out their album 'A Skeptic's Universe'.

"The Faceless" is good shit too.

"Theory in Practice" is right up your alley. They're quite the Technical Death MetaL band, although the vocals aren't very good. Get 'Third Eye Function' & 'Colonizing the Sun'.

"Spiral Architect" is an amazing band. You should check out their album 'A Skeptic's Universe'.

"The Faceless" is good shit too.

All great bands I already know of. Thanks though.

They're not what I'm really looking for though. I'm not exactly looking for music that shreds. Moreso, music with off-beat rhythms like Meshuggah. The kind that is decptively complex if that makes any sense to anyone... Another example would be Isis.

Maudlin of the Well "Bath"

:saint:

True Avant-Garde Metal. I just started listening to them the other day. Be forewarned that they're not solid metal though, but rather go from being the most serene & calm band you've ever heard to being the most ugly. Check it out. Might not be Meshuggah, but is something different you will probably like.

Does it have to be heavy? If not, some prog metal would probably work nice. Symphony X for example.

2 major faults, The vocals are killer!!! And while TEF and CTS are damn good records,i suggest you get The Armageddon Theories which is their absolute masterpiece:kickass:

Isn't "The Armageddon Theories" considered to be their best?? Funny, because I didn't like that one as much as the other two, but it has it's moments. Also, the vocals on the first two weren't that great I thought, but they cleaned them up on "Colonizing the Sun" IMO.

Yeah i have to agree there. I was mainly refering to the vocals on CTS,which i think is totally awsome. There´s something about those bright growls but at the same time dark.

All great bands I already know of. Thanks though.

They're not what I'm really looking for though. I'm not exactly looking for music that shreds. Moreso, music with off-beat rhythms like Meshuggah. The kind that is decptively complex if that makes any sense to anyone... Another example would be Isis.
Antigama might be what you're looking for if you haven't heard them yet. The drummer is particularly off-beat and the guitarist is no slouch himself.