RIFF-MASTER HALL OF FAME

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Just for fun, who would you nominate as the greatest riff writer of all time? We're talking strictly riffs here, not extended compositions.

I'll start out with nominating the ultimate heavy riff-master, Mr. Tony Iommi. His work with Sabbath is legendary, and he's still going strong today. I think Iommi should be the very FIRST to get inducted into the RIFF-MASTER HALL OF FAME.

Definately the guys from Mercyful Fate - Sherman and Denner, and later, of King Diamond - Andy LaRocque. Kerry King of Slayer is also right up there, as well as the classics Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page

A second for sherman and Denner of Mercyful, but only those early albums for me.

Definately Tony Iommi.

Mikael Akerfeldt always writes good riffs.

Tony gets the prize though.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Steve Clark? Maybe from On Through The Night and High n Dry. He had some great riffs on those albums. Sorry, rokk, I can't second the nomination.

I'm not so sure that the work on "On Through the Night" and "High n Dry" wasn't Pete Willis, mostly. I know he was gone for HnD but he's still got quite a few writing credits on that one.

I have to go with my favorite guitarist who was both a great soloist AND riffmeister...... Wolf Hoffmann.

I also have to five dibs to James Hetfield. Everything pre-Black was awesome.

Trix..... I would have to say Warren was the riffmeister of Ratt, but that's actually a good choice. I don't like Pearcy's vocals, but the guitars in Ratt were fantastic.

Viv Campbell Dio era also gets a nod.

Frank Hannon of Tesla is a great riffster.

Dave !!! Megadeth has always had cool riffs.

Old EVH. He was a great riffster as well as soloist.

Daniel Olssen/Christer "Krunt" Andersson - Tad Morose. Great riffmeisters.

Stephan Lill - Vanden Plas. High on my list of guitar greats.

Vito Bratta - "King" of hair guitarists.

Kurdt Vanderhoof - This guy never runs out of great riffs.

Bryant

JonnyD said:
Darrel Abbott(R.I.P.) Love him or Hate him(as most do) this guy had the Riffs!
dude, dimebag was many thigs but he was not a riff master!!all he did was tune down,palm mute open notes and throw in the odd pinched harmonic but don't get me wrong man ye oyld dime kicked almighty ass when it came to soloing. but i shal have to go for the legends that are...tony iommi,dave mustaine and chuck schuldiner(death)

Vivian Campbell in Dio is a good call, as is Andy Sneap in Sabbat, Iommi yep, I'll add Wolf Hofmann of Accept, Akira Takasaki of Loudness, Blackie Lawless. I also agree onTipton/Downing, they play a mean duel and write cracker riffs of course agreeing with TG Warrior, plus the Mercyful Fate & Maiden kids without a doubt.

SavaRon said:
Mustaine
Criss Oliva!!!

I should have mentioned Chris as well. Great player.

Two that I forgot and that should always be on the list as great riffsters are Joe Perry (not metal but deserves mention) and Mick Mars. In fact, Mick is pretty poor as a soloist, but I put him almost squre up with Wolf as a riffster. He is a legend due to his cool memorable riffs.

Bryant

Wheezer said:
I'm not so sure that the work on "On Through the Night" and "High n Dry" wasn't Pete Willis, mostly. I know he was gone for HnD but he's still got quite a few writing credits on that one.
Well, those are the only two Def Leppards that I can even remember the riffs from. Pyromania and Hysteria weren't exactly riff-laden.

I can't believe it took 20 posts for someone to mention Mick Mars! He wrote some killer riffs on those early Crue albums, especially Shout.