RIFF-MASTER HALL OF FAME

Wolf Hoffmann from accept.
Just listen metal heart and balls to the wall.
best riffs of 80´s
1107724237.jpeg

Oh jeah And Angus Young from AC/DC.
MeseNet.org_Animoiduthymiot%20(66).gif

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I can't believe it took 20 posts for someone to mention Mick Mars! He wrote some killer riffs on those early Crue albums, especially Shout.

Dude.... I heard this waaaahh..... waaaahh.......wuuuuuuuuh sound on the radio one day. It sounded like a car changing gears. I said to myself "that is a new Motley Crue song." It was.......Mick had never made any tremola moves like that before, but I just knew. Mick is mediocre at very best as a soloist, but he OWNS his own sound and his licks MAKE The Crue. He might have the most easily recognized style and tone I have ever heard.

Bryant

monkeypole said:
dude, dimebag was many thigs but he was not a riff master!!all he did was tune down,palm mute open notes and throw in the odd pinched harmonic but don't get me wrong man ye oyld dime kicked almighty ass when it came to soloing. but i shal have to go for the legends that are...tony iommi,dave mustaine and chuck schuldiner(death)

Well in my opinion He was a Riff Master and a damn good guitar player in general ... but thats me.

@SAVARON
Criss Oliva Rules!

NP: Manticora - Cantos

Priest of Evil said:
Vivian Campbell in Dio is a good call, as is Andy Sneap in Sabbat, Iommi yep, I'll add Wolf Hofmann of Accept, Akira Takasaki of Loudness, Blackie Lawless. I also agree onTipton/Downing, they play a mean duel and write cracker riffs of course agreeing with TG Warrior, plus the Mercyful Fate & Maiden kids without a doubt.

I feel like a dumb-ass not mentioning Takasaki. The Japanese are known for taking something already done and making it better. Akira did not follow that theory. He was extremely unique and a GOD in his art. He should be mentioned in ANY metal guitar post. I am in the wrong to have not mentioned such a T-Rex in the dinasour world of guitar.

Bryant

so would I be wrong in Uli being a riff master??? Or is it that he is just a phenomenal guitar player but not so much in making up heavy riffage? Just curious as no one else has said anything..

TheWhisper said:
You are correct, sir.

Why thank you :)

kittybeast said:
so would I be wrong in Uli being a riff master??? Or is it that he is just a phenomenal guitar player but not so much in making up heavy riffage? Just curious as no one else has said anything..

Well, this is of course a matter of taste and opinion. Its a personal choice. Who can say what you should choose? That would be plain silly.

But I think that Uli is more known and appreciated for his godlike soloing that for the quality of his riffs. Although some of his riffs are smoking indeed. For instance, I would not name Michael Schenker as a riff master. Even though he is my favorite lead guitar player. Well, together with Jeff Loomis who can do both at an amazing level.

I still like Schenkers leads the best though. :)

Bryant said:
I feel like a dumb-ass not mentioning Takasaki. The Japanese are known for taking something already done and making it better. Akira did not follow that theory. He was extremely unique and a GOD in his art. He should be mentioned in ANY metal guitar post. I am in the wrong to have not mentioned such a T-Rex in the dinasour world of guitar.

Bryant
He is one of a kind!

I wouldve mentioned Mick Mars earlier, me and early Crue get along famously but it was my understanding Nikki Sixx was the main song writer of the Crue.

Iommi
Rhoads
Jake E. Lee
Angus Young (a close 2nd to Iommi IMO)
Page
Hetfield/Hammett (1983-86)
King/Hanneman
Smith/Murray
Guitarist(s) from My Dying Bride

Some awesome nominations so far, great job people! I am on board with about 90% of them.

I can't speak for the death metal riffsters though. Although I've dabbled in death and have heard some killer riffage, I seldom listen to it because the vocals just rub me the wrong way.

Anyone else notice most nominations are for musicians that were firmly established in the 70s or 80s? Sadly, killer riffs pretty much went the way of the guitar solo in the 90s. Thankfully there were/are still some younger bands riffing it old school. Unfortunately, most of them are playing death metal.

NP: Accept - Restless and Wild (WOLF!!)

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Some awesome nominations so far, great job people! I am on board with about 90% of them.

I can't speak for the death metal riffsters though. Although I've dabbled in death and have heard some killer riffage, I seldom listen to it because the vocals just rub me the wrong way.

Anyone else notice most nominations are for musicians that were firmly established in the 70s or 80s? Sadly, killer riffs pretty much went the way of the guitar solo in the 90s. Thankfully there were/are still some younger bands riffing it old school. Unfortunately, most of them are playing death metal.

NP: Accept - Restless and Wild (WOLF!!)

You Should Check out James Murphys Solo albums TSO! if you havnt already that is!:D .... When am I wrong?!?

monkeypole said:
dude, dimebag was many thigs but he was not a riff master!!all he did was tune down,palm mute open notes and throw in the odd pinched harmonic but don't get me wrong man ye oyld dime kicked almighty ass when it came to soloing. but i shal have to go for the legends that are...tony iommi,dave mustaine and chuck schuldiner(death)

Thats probably true concerning most of the later stuff he did... But the intro from Cowboys From Hell is Classic... Cowboys and Vulgar were loaded with badass Riffs... and if you are familiar with anything prior to Cowboys From Hell, a lot of that was really good too. He also didn't really start tuning down till later either... but as for his more recent work you pretty much got it right. Far Beyond Driven was when Pantera as most ppl know them started taking a different direction, and I really didn't like Damageplan at all. R.I.P Dime.

and in my opinion Dave Mustaine was and is probably one of the most unique Riffers that I am familiar with.