RIFF-MASTER HALL OF FAME

Priest of Evil said:
When I think about Riff Masters, as much as I like Death/Black/Doom Metal, I'm sure we can all agree they can be considered to be catering for extreme tastes. IMO musically death/black/doom is more about the overall delivery of a full on assault rather than just a rockin good time. It appears many others have the same opinion and that is why so many of the same names have reappeared, either that or we are all a bunch of wrinkly old bastards! Its not that Dismember or Suffocation or Emperor havent written good riffs rather they are remembered more for extremity, tone and atmosphere. Whereas rock, metal and thrash arent so preoccupied with those areas thus the riffs are generally more acceptable to the masses. /end opinion

again that is a matter of opinion... all metal genre's have great riffs.. to say one has the greatest riffs and the other doesn't because it's a little speedier or more assault oriented is not being realistic... you just happen to listen to one genre more then the other.. but not one genre has as much or better riffs then another since there are countless bands in each and everyone's ears are different and the regulars on this forum happen to like more classic riffs.. if we were to put this thread in General Music Discussion the votes would probably look much different though Iommi would still be way up there most likely.. anyways in order to name Iommi time after time is to acknowledge that Doom has some greatest riffs in your opinions (i consider Sabbath the originators of Doom Metal if not Heavy Metal in general) ... anyways just my opinion... end of opinion...

Dodens Grav said:
The dominance of Traditional Metal songwriters in this thread is due to the makeup of the board. Make the same thread in GMD and the answers would be way different. If you notice, though, I included a lot of Extreme Metal bands.

Perhaps so, but I listen to tons of extreme metal (Emperor, Immortal, Borknagar, Arcturus, My Dying Bride, to name a few) and simply dont think any of these bands' guiatarists are "riff masters" in the purest sense.

For example, I view Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin" as one of the greatest records ever released. However, none of the riffs jump out and grab you in the manner of "Smoke on the Water" or "Whole Lotta Love". Emperor's music is the sum of the parts as opposed to being dominated by ONE part, as I see it.

Dodens Grav said:
I think there are plenty of Extreme Metal songwriters that can easily be regarded as peer to the best of Traditional Metal singers, some even better since they tend to bring in hew elements never touched by Traditional Metal, such as unusual song structures, escaping the inane verse/chorus/verse/chorus trap.

I agree with this. Many of the extreme bands DO employ more talen than, say, a traditional band. I'd say that Ihsahn (sp?) is more talented that say, Tipton or Downing. But extreme metal, generally, doesn't really on song-dominating riffs as much as say early Zeppelin.

Whole Lotta Love is basically one riff with a cool mid-section comprised of some experimental noise-making. "With Stregth I Burn" is so much more than that.

I was never saying the riffs in Death, Black or Doom arent excellent, I simply said the general tone of a song in those styles isnt dominated purely by guitars alone.

ALL the music i write is death and black metal based.
I love the grinding brutality of it all but it's a sum of parts. I love the death growl, the black scream the blast beats...

Yes, if this thread was in General Metal things might be different. Thats why I stated we may all just be wrinkly old bastards here, chosing predominately 70's/80's - but hey they've stood the test of time. Lets hope Bolt Thrower, Darkthrone, Immolation, My Dying Bride (et al) are remembered this fondly in 20 yrs!

riff masters... without the basics like Page, Iommi, Blackmore, Young(s), Jon Roth, Van Halen, Hoffman, Murray, Schenker(s)!, Rhoads... Blah, Blah, Blah.... None of the rest of this discussion would be relevant...

Next.

And to clear up the traditional/ extreme argument, THRASH HAS THE BEST RIFFS!!! IS THE FORM OF METAL THAT FOCUSES ALMOST ENTIRELY ON THE RIFF AND NOTHING BUT THE RIFF DUHHHHHHHH:tickled:

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
As JD suggested, I meant no offense toward the genre or its fans. When I said "unfortunately", I meant unfortunately for me. I don't get to enjoy those musicians because I just can't stomach the growling that accompanies it. I know that is my loss, but I've tried to appreciate that style of singing. It just holds no appeal to my tastes...at best I can tolerate it, if used sparingly and the music is fantastic enough to offset that which poisons my palate.

NP: Malice - License to Kill

Opeth - incredible musicians
Children of Bodom - "beginner" death vocals. More of a screech than a growl.
Death - see Opeth.

Those three get very little listen from me, but they aren't bad. Dummy Burger (Dimmu Borgir) also did a nice version of "Metal Heart." It is a little faster than the original and has the death vocals, but somehow it sounds cool.

Bryant

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Defined in a nutshell. I don't care much for full-on assaults for a whole album. Too repetitive. I prefer a wider range of emotions.

It must be a product of me growing up with Savatage and Jon Oliva. :D

Ditto.....

That is why I love "Seasons in the AByss" and "South of Heaven" by Slayer, but don't care so much for the rest of their catalog.

Bryant

CrimsonWarrior said:
And to clear up the traditional/ extreme argument, THRASH HAS THE BEST RIFFS!!! IS THE FORM OF METAL THAT FOCUSES ALMOST ENTIRELY ON THE RIFF AND NOTHING BUT THE RIFF DUHHHHHHHH:tickled:

You really aren't too far off base there. While I wouldn't say great riffs are predominantly thrash riffs, I can name many bands/guitarists that have great riffs that are thrash bands or at least have some strong thrash influence.

Slayer
Powermad
Wrathchild America
Metal Church
Metallica
Megadeth
Coroner
Testament

the list goes on...

Bryant

More thrash bands with insane riffing:

Believer
Vio-Lence
Dark Angel
Forbidden
Depressive Age
DEATHROW
Sacrifice
Acrophet
Realm
Mekong Delta
Aversion
D.R.I.
Mystrez

And tons mroe CAUSE THRASH HAS THE BEST RIFFS

CrimsonWarrior said:
More thrash bands with insane riffing:

Forbidden

And tons mroe CAUSE THRASH HAS THE BEST RIFFS

Agree with Forbidden, but although I think thrash did bring out more than their fair share of great riffsters, don't discount the other subgenres of metal along with their forefathers.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Ditto.....

That is why I love "Seasons in the AByss" and "South of Heaven" by Slayer, but don't care so much for the rest of their catalog.
Ditto right back. Those are really the only two Slayer albums I like as well. I love South of Heaven! That album is almost godly.

As for thrash featuring great riffs, I agree. Although thrash is far from my preferred genre, I have heard some killer riffs from their contributions: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Metal Church, Exodus, Anthrax, early Iced Earth etc.

NP: Phenomena - Psycho Fantasy

Jeff Loomis
Randy Rhoads
Jimmy Page
Scott Gorham,Brian Robertson,Gary Moore
Angus Young And Malcolm
James Hetfield
Dimebag
Iommi

Blackmore, Van Halen, Rhoads and Vai all write pretty good riffs. I think its also worth mentioning that Page did not write 'Whole Lotta Love'. That riff was stolen by Led Zeppelin from a black American bluesman. I don't have alot of respect for Page anymore because hes a very dishonest player and person.

Dave Mustaine, Riff master, he hasnt created that many special riffs, the only one that comes to mind now is Holy wars but Halen I can think of many Hot for the teacher
Panama
Mean streets
Aint talkin' 'bout love
Same goes for Rhoads Iommi and the Young brothers, They have conjured up amazing riffs in there alchohol soaked brains.