RIFF-MASTER HALL OF FAME

JonnyD said:
You Should Check out James Murphys Solo albums TSO! if you havnt already that is!:D .... When am I wrong?!?
James Murphy never made a bleep on my rader, JD. Did a little research and found out this guy has been around, in some of the best metal and prog bands in the biz. Associates himself with top-notch musicians. This all sounds very appealing to me. :D

I'll keep an eye out for it, buddy!

kittybeast said:
Unca' Hawk will be proud I googled!:tickled:

/me pats tha kitty on her back and gives her an A...

Did I hear some purring? :tickled:

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Ever the teacher, our Unca' Hawk is! No doubt about that.

Like we say in the Netherlands, its a proffessional deformation. :erk:

Death Animal said:
Yes. There was vote somewhere that sweet child o´mine has best riff ever.
I´dont think so but he make wery good rifs indeed.:Spin: :Spin:
:Spin: :Spin: :Spin:
:Spin: :Spin:

I think I read somewhere that Axel came to Slash with some of the music for Sweet Child o Mine and Slash wanted nothing to do with it originally.

EDIT: Alright, I am certain I read that somewhere but upon further investigation it would appear to be false. Apparently Slash was playing the intro riff jokingly during a jam session , and it took off from there.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Some awesome nominations so far, great job people! I am on board with about 90% of them.

I can't speak for the death metal riffsters though. Although I've dabbled in death and have heard some killer riffage, I seldom listen to it because the vocals just rub me the wrong way.

Anyone else notice most nominations are for musicians that were firmly established in the 70s or 80s? Sadly, killer riffs pretty much went the way of the guitar solo in the 90s. Thankfully there were/are still some younger bands riffing it old school. Unfortunately, most of them are playing death metal.

NP: Accept - Restless and Wild (WOLF!!)

there is nothing unfortunate about Death Metal... it is a artform like any other metal genre and should be given respect... to not like it is a matter of preference... afterall how can anyone respect the metal genre you like if you don't respect theres... DM has alot of good musicians and of course riffs... I enjoy listening to Behemoth and other bands... my current preference in metal is Black Metal but i like to listen to DM once in a while.. as well as other metal genre's like classic, Doom , thrash etc..

I still think Meallica's" Kill'm All "has the most powerfull riffs on one album, although I lost interest in them after that....I mostly like single son,gs with great riffs like "Ton of Bricks" from Metal Church, "Streetwoman" from Loudness, "Temples of Sirynx" from Rush, "Mother shipton's words" from Tad Morose, " Pull me under" from Dream Theater, "Raze" from Exodus, "Angel of Death", both from Angel Witch and Slayer etc....

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
there is nothing unfortunate about Death Metal... it is a artform like any other metal genre and should be given respect... to not like it is a matter of preference... afterall how can anyone respect the metal genre you like if you don't respect theres... DM has alot of good musicians and of course riffs... I enjoy listening to Behemoth and other bands... my current preference in metal is Black Metal but i like to listen to DM once in a while.. as well as other metal genre's like classic, Doom , thrash etc..

I dont think TSO was doubting that DM was a art form, its just an art form he cant get into. I LOVE some DM like Morbid Angel, Suffocation, and Obituary but there are hundreds of others I wouldnt even bother with ... I dont listen to Genres specifically, if a band has something to offer my ear I will like them regardless of which of a thousand titles it could have ....

Back to topic ... Let me throw in Bobby Gustufson(sp?) formerly of Overkill his shit on "The Years of Decay" is Classic .... and actually D.D.Verni too His bass Riffs are out of this world :D

Iommi is the king of the memorable riff. Just think about those classic Ozzy-era records. These riffs are to die for: Supernaut, Iron Man, Hole in the Sky, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, NIB...the list is endless.

Page also authored some timeless riffs (Moby Dick, Heartbreaker, Black Dog, Immigrant Song, etc). These just stay in the brain forever!@

And Blackmore! Smoke on the Water, Space Truckin, Woman From Tokyo, etc (assuming he DID pen these).

Also: Cris Oliva. he was also unique....many memorable riffs.

3 that should be in, without question-

Iommi
Angus Young
Steve Harris

3 more that aren't in the same level for various reasons, but close-

Randy Rhoads
Ritchie Blackmore
Jeff Loomis

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
As JD suggested, I meant no offense toward the genre or its fans. When I said "unfortunately", I meant unfortunately for me. I don't get to enjoy those musicians because I just can't stomach the growling that accompanies it. I know that is my loss, but I've tried to appreciate that style of singing. It just holds no appeal to my tastes...at best I can tolerate it, if used sparingly and the music is fantastic enough to offset that which poisons my palate.

NP: Malice - License to Kill

When I think about Riff Masters, as much as I like Death/Black/Doom Metal, I'm sure we can all agree they can be considered to be catering for extreme tastes. IMO musically death/black/doom is more about the overall delivery of a full on assault rather than just a rockin good time. It appears many others have the same opinion and that is why so many of the same names have reappeared, either that or we are all a bunch of wrinkly old bastards! Its not that Dismember or Suffocation or Emperor havent written good riffs rather they are remembered more for extremity, tone and atmosphere. Whereas rock, metal and thrash arent so preoccupied with those areas thus the riffs are generally more acceptable to the masses. /end opinion

Priest of Evil said:
IMO musically death/black/doom is more about the overall delivery of a full on assault rather than just a rockin good time.
Defined in a nutshell. I don't care much for full-on assaults for a whole album. Too repetitive. I prefer a wider range of emotions.

It must be a product of me growing up with Savatage and Jon Oliva. :D