RIP... Earl..

MetalNations

Aug 29, 2002
In Space
RIP my good friend. May the Metal Gods be with you. Passed on Last Night.

(AESMA DAEVA Guitarist, Root Of All Evil Records, Root Of All Evil Raido and many more)

From his blog... in Feb. '07​

Where the F&@ is Earl?
Current mood:
sick.gif
sick​

Today...Sunday the 17th of Feb here...yep....it is....is the first day I have had enough energy and pain relief to sit at my stupid computer and get more than the bare minimal done. I AM NOT TELLING YOU ALL THIS FOR SYMPATHY. I do not need it. I am just looking for a way to tell everyone what is going on as efficiently as possible without going into huge details with everyone. The rumor mill has been flooding again so this is the official 'word' that I am not dead...I just got real sick AGAIN! What is happening and has happened to me in the last 8 years of this BS is just that...WHAT IS....I cannot change it so I am going with the flow and doing what I can on my end to 'fix' it. I also want to let you all in on it so you can better understand why I have missed several radio shows, Jerk Jams, local and national concerts and the general hanging out with some and/or of parts of you. (NOTE: Many of you have called and/or written e-mails and I havn't gotten back to you in a timly matter or at all...sorry but when you are sick and feel like ass and ect ect ect...you (I) do not really want to sit on the phone)....
My bladder Cancer has gone from slow growing to aggressive stages and has advanced into my spinal column and has one large node pushing into my cyotic nerve, which is a huge nerve that spreads into both of your legs all the way thru your spine. I woke up one morning and had the worst Charlie Horse I had ever had. You know what I mean, one of those leg cramp things you get in the middle of the night that hurt so bad you wanna die? Well...instead of just being constricted to the calf, this puppy went from my toes to about mid back...and I could NOT get it to go away. A few days later and after many more of these attacks, I was off to the doc for tests and all and my MRI showed many little nods up and down the spine plus this big one which means radiation for the big one and monster-kill- death-moses chemo for the others. I am half way thru the radiation process...I have another 2 weeks of that. I get a 2 week time off and then on for the chemo and have no idea how long that will take. They will also be giving my 'matainance chemo' for my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma during this period. The stem cell transplant I had last March has held the Lymphoma back but also reduced my immune system to where it tied the Doctors hands to help me the way they wanted to with the Bladder Cancer. Normally, they would just build you a new Bladder out of your lower intestine which is stronger and more durable and not filled with Cancer and all would be swell...BUT....this is still a MAJOR surgery and so they cannot give it to me for risk of infection is too high. The bladder and kidneys and all that are the things that take all the toxins out of you....and many people who have surgery on thease areas get infections from the surgery. If this were to happen to me...I would not make it thru (or a 1 in 3 chance...which is BAD ODDS)...so it is off the table for at least a year or more or if at all. So, they have to do it this way and I may have to be quarrentined thru the process (chemo that is) to ensure I do not get any infections.
So....I am spending my time trying to make a few dollars and keep the biz afloat and sleeping like 18 to 20 hours a day. Very erratic at times also and I could be up for 2 hours and then out or up for 5 or 6 and then...well...whatever the fuck. What ever time it is (AM or PM) doesn't matter...strange to have this disconnection with even time...and all the thoughts and weirdness that comes with solitude and hours and hours of pain-pill induced dozing is also bizarre. I gotta thank Klause for coming by and making the shipping and packing thing happen....a true entity send there. I hope that in the 2 weeks I have off B4 chemo will get me out there to see a few of you and have some fun. It will be interesting to see what my hairstyle is that comes back after this next round (as if any of that really matters)....still...interesting....wanna vote? Curly? Ugly? Afro? Greeninsh brown like tobacco spit luggies?​

Truly sorry to hear that John. If he was "Rooty" from Ebay, I used to order from him all the time a few years back and found him to be an honest, reliable guy. Either way I'm truly sorry for your loss and I hope he has found true peace and freedom from the suffering he's endured. I will drink to his honor shortly.

Jason

Truly sorry to hear that John. If he was "Rooty" from Ebay, I used to order from him all the time a few years back and found him to be an honest, reliable guy. Either way I'm truly sorry for your loss and I hope he has found true peace and freedom from the suffering he's endured. I will drink to his honor shortly.

Jason

Yup that is him.

I first met Earl about 20 years ago when he was playing with Disturbed. Easily one of the coolest guys ever. So many fond memories of talking metal with him at the Root Cellar. He gave everything to metal and will be missed by many. Rest in peace Earl.

I was out of town and without Internet access this weekend and this unfortunately happened. I thank everyone that called/texted me and let me know. Earl was a good friend. I knew he was sick and had heard how bad his condition had gotten, but his passing still hit kind of hard. I will sadly be out of town for his funeral services. I am truly bummed that I will miss it. I think Earl would respect the fact that I am missing it for Iron Maiden.

Earl helped keep metal alive in the Twin Cities (or the Twin Towns of Terror, as he would say). His radio show introduced me to tons of new music before the Internet. The same with his store. It was a place for metalheads to hangout. I met many good friends through Earl & his store.

The memorial brodcast of his radio show is available for streaming here. It will be up for 2 weeks. It starts around 2:30 minutes into the brodcast. I am listening to it now.
http://www.kfai.org/node/11689

RIP Earl. I remember many a trip down to Root Cellar Records, driving an hour in hopes of finding the new releases I could have more easily found online or at Best Buy, just because I never knew what might turn up or who I'd run into. I know that a lot of bands try to look as menacing as possible onstage, but Earl *always* looked like he was having fun up there with Aesma Daeva. Of course the shop has been closed for years and I missed going there, but I really looked forward to what Earl would be doing next musically, be it with AD or something else.

Best wishes to his family, and to the many friends who are left here remembering him.