Roadrunner

please, all think this

mikael says once: fuck the nu-metal scene

now opeth go touring with nu-metal bands, nu- power bands....

listen up GR very well..... do you have hear something weird? the album is full of nu-metal riffs (see the beginning of reverie - HF), like BWP (see bleak) the olny thing i'm expecting is Mikael saying "keep on rollin' baby" to confirm the bad decision (and that fucking steve wilson, he destroys opeth. until still life opeth kicked ass, but with BWP ..)

Who Cares. Lets see if Roadrunner somehow effects the sound of the next album, THEN lets start having this discussion.

And Bleak did NOT have a nu-metal riff at the beginning. Just because it sounded middle eastern influenced, it automatically becomes Nu-Metal? I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Blackwater Park was a masterpiece.

And which Nu-Metal bands have Opeth toured with after the release of Ghost Reveries? I'm not sure about the other countries, but over here so far its been Nevermore, Fireball Ministry, and Dark Tranquillity.

Those bands don't really fall into the Nu-Metal Category.

xXBraveMurderDay said:
Who Cares. Lets see if Roadrunner somehow effects the sound of the next album, THEN lets start having this discussion.

And Bleak did NOT have a nu-metal riff at the beginning. Just because it sounded middle eastern influenced, it automatically becomes Nu-Metal? I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Blackwater Park was a masterpiece.

And which Nu-Metal bands have Opeth toured with after the release of Ghost Reveries? I'm not sure about the other countries, but over here so far its been Nevermore, Fireball Ministry, and Dark Tranquillity.

Those bands don't really fall into the Nu-Metal Category.

devildriver :erk:

opethpainter said:
3.OPETH NOW CAN JUST LIVE PLAYING THE MUSIC THEY LOVE, BUT THIS DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE MAINSTREAM. CHRISTINA AGUILERA IS MAINSTREAM, OPETH IS NOT.

They are popular.

The name has caught on and is at the very least recognized by most metal/music fans of some degree. Even those who've never heard the music, you can generally bet have heard the name somewhere.

Opeth made decent chart positions with GR.

It doesn't mean they did it by selling out though, which is commendable. I think the chart listings and increased popularity are just residual effects of all the hard work they've put into the band for 16 years.

And what constitutes a "nu metal riff"? Opeth have some simpler riffs from time to time, but does that make them "nu metal riffs"? It's not like they've started rapping or anything (well, SPD :lol: ).

Labels suck ass, anyway.

vampyré said:
Wow!
They sure have done their own thing 'record labelwise'!
Kudos to Opeth!

pretty fucking daft arent you? i meant as far as doing what they want, not what a label recommends or wants for the most part. this concept is really very simple, im not sure why youre having so much trouble with it.

Those of you who said that Steven Wilson ruined the band are fucking retards.

And that is as objective as it gets.

That being said, I believe Opeth did "sell out" a bit after they signed with RR but I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing in the sense that since they're better known throughout the world they can reach out to more people and do more gigs, etc etc.

Now the only thing left to see what course they've taken is to wait for the new album to come out and just stop assuming things.

I don't agree that Steven Wilson has ruined Opeth, although you can see an influence. He's done great things at the level of production too - BWP is just crushing in places and all the subsequent albums sound good for similar reasons. I'm not knocking any of Opeth's earlier stuff either, although I don't think that the recordings sound as nice.

And what does "selling out" mean exactly? We can all think of examples of metal bands who are sell-outs. I suppose when bands start to put ego and commercial considerations before their love of music and their relationship to their fans they are selling out. I don't think Opeth are like this, although you quite often hear Mikael talking about money. I think that Opeth want to make a living from music so that they don't have to do anything else, not because they want to be millionaire rock stars.

Also, what is the problem with signing to a mainstream label? As long as the label isn't attempting to tamper with the artistic side of things their commercial reach is a huge benefit to fans who struggle to obtain recordings on obscure labels. Finally, maybe people are being too negative: maybe we should be delighted that a mainstream label is investing in a quality band rather than yet more NuMetal. Maybe this says nice things about the industry?

Since everyone knows Plutonian tree-frogs are roadrunner's biggest predator, just before moronic jackals.