What was your first Opeth album?

What is the first Opeth album you bought?

• Orchid

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Morningrise

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • Still Life

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 49 45.8%

• Total voters

wach0052

underneath the waves
Oct 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
What was the first Opeth album you bought? (Not including Deliverance since it hasn't been released yet.) How/where did you hear of them? What was your first reaction when listening?

Morningrise - I read an interview with them in an old beat up relapse records catalogue (the one with amorphis on the cover). I was not initially impressed. It grew on me, to say the least.

my first album that i bought was orchid.

i had downloaded all orchid's mp3s and at this stage of my opeth journey, i really didnt even realise how great they were. i was at the record store one day and picked it up, i looked at the track list and thought yeah ive heard these mp3's and they are so weird. like so "all over the place" perhaps if i buy the album i may begin to make sense of the confusion that was in my mind. so i bought it and never looked back :p

OPETH ARE THE SHIT!

Oh, I voted without reading first. I thought it was which you heard. I couldn't have voted correctly anyway, since I bought MAYH and SL together.

My Dad bought Blackwater Park for me, seeing as I had interest in them. Albeit, at that particular time, I wasn't truly interested in them. After ten listens of BWP, I had a musical epiphany, it clicked, and I got hooked for life! I have since bought Still Life and Orchid. I will forever worship Opeth!

Originally posted by Hondo
Oh, I voted without reading first. I thought it was which you heard. I couldn't have voted correctly anyway, since I bought MAYH and SL together.

Hondo, you read the poll just fine. I was going to insert a stipulation stating that if you bought two or more at the same time (since it seems like something people would do with opeth), you should vote on which one you heard first, but I figured people could sort that out for themselves. :)

Blackwater Park. I got into Opeth only about a year ago (unfortunately) during a stupid high school assembly. My friend brought his CD player with him and a compilation with "The Drapery Falls," the first song I ever heard. I was hooked, to say the least. BWP was the most available album, so I got it first.

The first Opeth album I bought was "Morningrise." I'd heard them previously on the Century Media "Firestarter" compilation (the track was "Nectar"). I was very intrigued, especially after having read numerous interviews with them. So, I bought that one considering that I'd heard at least one track from it. I actually wanted to buy MAYH first, but the store didn't have it at the time.

Read about Opeth in some metal mag, and I really liked the promo pic of them and figured by the image that I would probably like the music... I went on AG, downloaded Blackwater Park and never looked back...

I heard the edit of The Drapery Falls ona kerrang! cd of all places. I thought it was one of the best songs i'd ever heard, so I purchased BWP. It frightened the fuck out of me initially as I had no idea there was growling and I wasnt into extreme or underground metal at the time (heaviest thing I listened to = metallica).

But even though it scared the shit out of me, I loved it, and the rest is history...

I read an interview with Opeth where they kept being described as something "really original" and "an aquired taste". I was up for a challenge, and since Blackwater Park was the most recent release, I decided to get that one.
My first reaction was... WTF is this??? But the music grew on me and I think the CD was in my stereo for 2-3 months after that... :)