You're first time.

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
What was your first reaction upon discovering/listening to Opeth. What song/album was it, where were you. Finally did it change how you viewed music in general. I know it did for me when I heared Deliverance on late night radio 2 years ago. I was like damn, this is pretty good, but I wasn't blown away. Later, I went and dowloaded some more songs and liked them even more. I was amazed that one band could write so different sounding songs. It was hearing "To bid you farewell" that the band finally blew me away. Within the next 2 months I owned all the albums, and even a t-shirt. Belive me I don't buy many artists cd's, only if they are very good. To this day I have not heared a band that has had the same level of impact that Opeth had. :loco:

I first heard Opeth on a music video show called Rage late at night. The song was Windowpane and at first I was interested in the guitar solos, the I noticed the structure of the song, this was very different to songs that I was listening to at the time. After it was over I thought yeah that was pretty cool and I downloaded the track. The more I listened to it the more I liked it. The next ones I heard were Deliverance and Wreath. To tell you the truth I didn't think it was the same band. Anyway, I ended up loving all of it. And it did change the way I think of music, and the way I write songs. In a good way....

After constantly seeing Opeth praised on various music message boards that I visit, I decided to check them out one day. Downloaded a bunch of random songs and ended up getting mostly stuff from Still Life and Deliverance I believe... and was immiedietly turned off by the vocals. So Opeth sat on my harddrive, collecting e-dust. However, at the same time, I was getting really into Porcupine Tree, and someone mentioned to me that SW had produced the last couple Opeth albums, including one with no growling! So after many listens of Damnation (and loving it) I finally craved more! After a couple of months, I had acclimated myself to growling and haven't looked back since.

i remember the month, time, place, song and my reaction...

january 2000 (pretty sure).....late afternoon...i received the firestarter sampler from century media i ordered...and nectar was the Opeth song on it...i must have replayed it 3 times right after that...

i then continued to go on napster.com to get a few more mp3s to make sure i liked the band...i downloaded face of melinda, benighted, twilight is my robe and demon of the fall. i then ordered every current album including the just released import version of still life which was the newest and only available edition of that album at the time for $24.00 i think it was. Needless to say theyve been my right hand metal band ever since.

I had just signed up to a tool forum called TDN September 2003, and there were a lot of recommendations for a band called Opeth going around.

So I downloaded Delieverence and was absolutely blown away, I wasn't into any death metal at the time so I preferred the clean vocals over the growls, so I fell in love with A Fair Judgement. I got into the other songs which involved growls and eventually got Blackwater Park and Damnation.

Uh..yeah.

I think i first heard Opeth... i guess... 99? maybe 2000. It was the song 'Godhead's Lament' anyway, and i didnt like it! It was on a compilation that my friend had made of random stuff he found, and he didnt like it much either. Then one day, about a year later, he bought Blackwater Park, and lent it to me... it was the song 'Bleak' that made me listen to them over and over. Never looked back since :) I now own all the albums (and Still Life is one of my favourite now :)), the DVD, tshirt, seen them live 4 times and met mike and peter.

They are my favourite band, and have been for years... hopefully will be for years more to come. I don't think they have released a single bad song.

I didn't really check out Opeth till like summer or fall of 2001 after hearing about them many times from people and magazines. I used audiogalaxy to download "To bid you farewell" and "demon of the fall." but I actually really didn't listen to those mp3s much, when I really just went to my mom's house and listened to clips from cdnow.com or amazon.com (my current computer was so slow). I bought Blackwater park shortly after from best buy and fuckin' loved it. I Listened to it over and over and over and showed my friend...then a month or so later I went to a mall (;)) and bought Still life then ordered my arms your hearse from cdnow.com...then eventually quite awhile later I got morningrise and orchid completing my collection.

When I was into RPing, I met this dude and he was like, "Dude, you gotta listen to Opeth, they're the shit!" and so he sent me The Drapery Falls.

At the time, I was into shit like SOAD, Korn, Kittie, Mudvayne, Disturbed etc. Real bad shit.

So I listen to The Drapery Falls. First guitar wail after the acoustic lead just mesmerized me... so much fucking depth! so much emotion! And I wasn't even 30 seconds into the song!!!

So when the song reaches the 2:30 mark, I'm like woah, long song [4-5:00 was long for me at that time]

vocals set in, and I just fell in love with Mike's clean voice. at the Chorus [pull me down again...] I was blown by the amount of emotion that was coming from my headphones, I seriously about fucking cried. Second verse came in, and then the chorus. I thought that it would just start over again with a musical interlude then repeat verse structure, but once again I was blown away as the song changed gears and completely shifted into another sound. After the fucking amazing guitar solo, I heard growls for the first time. First thoughts as I started to headbang was 'I don't know WHAT the fuck he's saying or HOW IN THE HELL he's doing this, but it kicks ass!!!' After the heavy part was over, I was amazed how they slipped back into a soft sequence and then back into the intro riff so smoothly. Not even the [at the time] Almighty Korn could pull this shit off!!!

I listened to it twice more before the dude sent me Bloodbath's Furnace Funeral.

After that, I was hooked.

Kept playing The Drapery Falls every single moment I could for the rest of the year while I downloaded Opeth like fuck. [yes, I'm buying the albums with pleasure now.]

Thank God for Mikey A and the 'Peths.

the first Opeth I heard was some amazon.com preview, I think something off Still Life. I hated it, mainly the growling vox, but when I heard Windowpane on headbanger's ball a few years after, I got Damnation and loved it. Next was MAYH, and because the music was so great I was able to see past, and eventually learn to like the growls.

It was actually 4 years ago this month, I was talking to my friend and i was asking for good metal bands, and he recommended opeth, said they were brilliant.

So I like a dick downloaded the songs of Kazaa ( I went and bought the vinyl, hooray for vinyl) first song I downloaded was Forest of October, I instantly fell in love with every riff, it is still today my favorite song by opeth.

hail opeth

synergy said:
no YOU'RE the first time...I fuck you in the ass, I fuck you in the ass, I fuck you, I fuck you, I fuck you!!!

Keep going buddy! I get your poop hole when you're all tired and can't escape my big meatstick!

I heard "Window Pane" on fuse tv about a year ago. I liked what I heard so I decided to go to the record store and by one there cd's...I forgot the name of the song and I just bought any random Opeth cd there...The cd I bought was Still Life...when I first heard it I was like double you tee eff???...I seriously thought of returning it because I was certain that there was a mixup...The band I had heard on tv played mellow rock not SATANIC MUSAK!!11....But after a few listens it grew on me and it became one of my favorites...Fin.

The first Opeth song I've ever heard was Harvest. Having liked what I heard, I looked into other songs from Opeth, but I was turned off by the growling. I ignored them for like a month or two, and in the meantime got into Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment. Yes, I was a metal noob. Then, having been bored and irritated by Labrie's voice and constant DT playing, I switched back to Opeth and realized that I had been too hasty before in writing Opeth off so quick. Since then I gotten used to the growls and appreciated the length, dynamics, and musicality of their songs. I was an Opeth fan after the months' break.