You're first time.

mh, i ordered BWP because i liked the cd-cover. thought the music was good but didnt get into it really. relistened the album like 3 months later for two or three times and was totally hooked!

For me it was about 1 1/2 years ago. I was at my grandpa's 80th birthday party. Back then I was really into nu-metal, even though I'd always wanted something a bit heavier...

So my 2nd cousin played me "Deliverance". My jaw dropped. I heard the opening growls, I'm like "Holy shit...this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for". Then the acoustic part...I wondered if it was the same band. But it was still really cool. I continued with the song, and liked it more and more every second it played.

I went home, kinda forgot it for a bit, then, downloaded a bunch of random Opeth....It was great. They almost single-handedly got me out of nu-metal. I didn't like their early stuff much at first, but it's grown on me a lot. I own 6 albums of theirs, 2 shirts, and a poster now, and they're still my favorite band.

Jinn said:
When I was into RPing, I met this dude and he was like, "Dude, you gotta listen to Opeth, they're the shit!" and so he sent me The Drapery Falls.

At the time, I was into shit like SOAD, Korn, Kittie, Mudvayne, Disturbed etc. Real bad shit.

So I listen to The Drapery Falls. First guitar wail after the acoustic lead just mesmerized me... so much fucking depth! so much emotion! And I wasn't even 30 seconds into the song!!!

So when the song reaches the 2:30 mark, I'm like woah, long song [4-5:00 was long for me at that time]

vocals set in, and I just fell in love with Mike's clean voice. at the Chorus [pull me down again...] I was blown by the amount of emotion that was coming from my headphones, I seriously about fucking cried. Second verse came in, and then the chorus. I thought that it would just start over again with a musical interlude then repeat verse structure, but once again I was blown away as the song changed gears and completely shifted into another sound. After the fucking amazing guitar solo, I heard growls for the first time. First thoughts as I started to headbang was 'I don't know WHAT the fuck he's saying or HOW IN THE HELL he's doing this, but it kicks ass!!!' After the heavy part was over, I was amazed how they slipped back into a soft sequence and then back into the intro riff so smoothly. Not even the [at the time] Almighty Korn could pull this shit off!!!

I listened to it twice more before the dude sent me Bloodbath's Furnace Funeral.

After that, I was hooked.

Kept playing The Drapery Falls every single moment I could for the rest of the year while I downloaded Opeth like fuck. [yes, I'm buying the albums with pleasure now.]

Thank God for Mikey A and the 'Peths.

That was much how my experience was except it was at band practice when the lead guitarist played this for me. I was blown away by how full everything sounded, the tone, the vocals, the drumming, everything. I was hooked.

The first song i ever heard by opeth was 'deliverance'. and, i remember my reaction was 'wow, this is actually pretty good.' I was amazed at the way they combined different time signatures and dynamic changes, while keeping the basic feel of the song. ive heard other bands such as meshuggah etc.. exploit the use of different time signatures in most of their songs, without having any special meaning or feeling to their music. and i admit, it took me a few listens to actually get into opeth's style. but, once i heard the songs from blackwater park, i was immediately hooked. i especially like, being the bass player that i am, the fact that they're a death metal band and you can actually hear the fucking bass. ive never, in my entire life, heard of a band similar to opeth. they are truly unique.

i now own all of the opeth albums (except morningrise) and, there hasnt been a single day in the past two years that i havent listened to an opeth cd.

I was tripping on mushrooms, ate about 16 caps, got real fucked up, borrowed MAYH from my friend, listened to it about 4 times all the way through.......talk about having the music draw you in....**shivers** yeah that was a pretty magical, well insanely evil experience, loved the desperation in Mike's voice at the end of "WHEN,"
so yeah MAYH= my fav album of all time

This shit made me laugh so fucking hard... hilarious.

Jinn: Opeth saving lives?? Bwahahahaha!

BurningSky said:
My first time? Well, it was actually quite special. Me and mike were out with the rest of the band, kickin' a few back in the bars, but we decided to head back to our place. It was our anniversary, 3 months, but we had yet to break it in. Well anyway, Mike had the whole room set up and ready, I was so shocked when I got back. Roses everywhere, that sort of thing. Well anyway, he just looked into my eyes, and I into his. We both knew it was time. Harvest began, and it was a love affair ever since.

Well, about two years ago I was really into classic rock and 70s/early 80s metal (and still am of course). Then one day I was just fucking around on the net and found an mp3 of The Moor in one of those open folder listings you can find on google or wherever. So I listened to the song, and like everyone else I was kind of turned off by the growls but still thought it was kinda cool... but once I heard the soft parts and the "oooh ooh ooh" towards the end of the song I was fucking floored. They've since become my fave band.

deliverance said:
yeah man, you do.

well! I'VE BEEN HANGING OFF MY FECKIN CHAIR, TELL ME! haha, not really, but i'd like to know.
i've been meaning to ask the same thing for about two months. thanks for stepping up D1. you are the feckin man!