Roadrunner

I love Ghost Reveries and it has grown to be one of my favourite Opeth albums.
But I do get sick of Roadrunner Records killing a lot of bands for me by advertising the music on their label like some infomercial.

Pain While Urinating said:
I love Ghost Reveries and it has grown to be one of my favourite Opeth albums.
But I do get sick of Roadrunner Records killing a lot of bands for me by advertising the music on their label like some infomercial.

I know what you mean, they almost seem to try to be more than just a record company with their slick in-store displays et al.

If I were in a truly grim and frostbitten band, I would get the maffia to distribute my records.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i thought "king diamond? cynic? sepultura? disincarnate? deicide? obituary? suffocation? opeth...theyre finally home".

My thoughts were.... Death, King Diamond, Cynic, Septulura, Disincarnate, Deicide etc... were dropped/left for a reason...

...Nickelback, Devildriver, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot, Trivium... boy does RR suck now...

Then this quote rang through:
"Basically I got fucked, that's the best way to put it, with Symbolic. Roadrunner had a totally disillusioned idea of what metal is. And that's why Symbolic wasn't pushed. That's not their idea of metal, their idea of metal is Coal Chamber and Korn. Symbolic basically got shove to the side and that's why metal in America has been screwed because of choices made by bigger labels deciding what metal is suppose to be about.

I got shoved to the side and you know what I could have said, "fuck all of this and I'm quitting, but I didn't. I think the album(Sound of Persev..)'s a perfect example of, you know, coming back saying whatever. I'm not gonna let people discourage me.

Eventually Roadrunner are going to jump back on the heavy metal bandwagon and it's gonne be cute, it's gonna be really sickening to see a label jump right back on what they got big from, but basically what they've turned their backs on in the process."

-Chuck Schuldiner

You may want to take into consideration what label Death went on for the sound of perseverence...considering what bands that label is currently hosting now. Its the european sellout version of what roadrunner now is.

Regardless, the point is Opeth could possibly be the band to raise the bar for roadrunner a bit to realize that they can have a prosperous label without having to water down their entire band catalog. And Opeth certainly doesnt seem to care about making any compromises in a label's favor, so i dont know what there is to worry about. Frankly, i dont think or worry about Opeth enough at this point to even really give it anymore thought than that. Ill continue to listen to them while they produce quality material, but anything deeper than that, and i cant really give a shit.

SPLASTiK said:
Symbolic basically got shove to the side and that's why metal in America has been screwed because of choices made by bigger labels deciding what metal is suppose to be about.

no, the bigger labels don't decide that. the people do, and the label thrives off of it. the nu-metal scene was an extension of metal that had its time as a mainstream fad. it all comes and goes in cycles. in almost every genre, there is a go-with-the-trend sub-genre that purists despise. its not "tr00."

JoeVice said:
no, the bigger labels don't decide that. the people do, and the label thrives off of it. the nu-metal scene was an extension of metal that had its time as a mainstream fad. it all comes and goes in cycles. in almost every genre, there is a go-with-the-trend sub-genre that purists despise. its not "tr00."

yeah, but one would like to think that Roadrunner would recognize their former respectability among metal fans and at least try to stick with that instead of hopping from one metal trend to the other.

BUT guess what...they're a business. A pretty big record label. they want to make MONEY. The easiest way to do that is to provide the masses with what they want to hear...even if, sadly, that comes with the sacrifice of what RR used to be.

Sanzen said:
yeah, but one would like to think that Roadrunner would recognize their former respectability among metal fans and at least try to stick with that instead of hopping from one metal trend to the other.

- if they had stuck with real metal for the sole purpose of making metal fans happy, they would be a bunch of flakes. that would be equivalent to "wearing the cross on your shoulder." hopefully, they changed directions because from within, someone really liked nu-metal. i'm in no place to make that judgment, but i hope thats how it went down.

but, when you put aside what should really matter, which is the love for music, you're left with realizing that they're a business. A pretty big record label. they want to make MONEY. The easiest way to do that is to provide the masses with what they want to hear...even if, sadly, that comes with the sacrifice of what RR used to be.

JoeVice said:
no, the bigger labels don't decide that. the people do, and the label thrives off of it.

I think they do to a degree. A big label finds a band like a Korn or whatever, gets them to record an album that's well recorded/produced and then promotes it. Gets it played on the radio or MTV, magazine ads, interviews etc.

And then usually if it explodes they tend to sign a bunch of similar bands in an effort to make a bunch of money. But it's the label that pushes the band out there and without them there's nothing for the people to decide. Chances are if you're promoted well more people will hear it and potentially like it, the labels decide how much to promote you.

SPLASTiK said:
I think they do to a degree. A big label finds a band like a Korn or whatever, gets them to record an album that's well recorded/produced and then promotes it. Gets it played on the radio or MTV, magazine ads, interviews etc.

And then usually if it explodes they tend to sign a bunch of similar bands in an effort to make a bunch of money. But it's the label that pushes the band out there and without them there's nothing for the people to decide. Chances are if you're promoted well more people will hear it and potentially like it, the labels decide how much to promote you.

- if people don't buy it, they won't push it anymore. if the in-group digs it, it becomes a trend. then, that label has reputation points amongst the in-crowd, and people buy it because its associated with what is cool. any new band that joins this becomes cool too. and you're right, this is where the label power comes into play and makes decisions for the people who have already hopped on the band-waggon. but, its the demand of that person that has the real power.

well one thing is, from a recent interview i read with blakkheim from katatonia, the main thing that's delaying the bloodbath dvd release is roadrunner, so that kind of sucks imo :erk:

This was on the RR site:

METAL GEORGE AND THE DRAGON - 25.04.2006

To celebrate St. Georges day, which for all those who don't know (i.e. the English) was on Sunday, we have posted a short guide to:

DEFINITIONS OF METAL'S COMPLEX SUBGENRES

* Power Metal
The protagonist arrives riding a white unicorn, escapes from the dragon, saves the princess and makes love to her in an enchanted forest.

* Thrash Metal
The protagonist arrives, fights the dragon, saves the princess and fucks her.

* Heavy Metal
The protagonist arrives on a Harley, kills the dragon, drinks a few beers and fucks the princess.

* Folk Metal
The protagonist arrives with some friends playing accordions, violins, flutes and many more weird instruments, the dragon falls asleep (because of all the dancing). Then all leave........ without the princess.

* Viking Metal
The protagonist arrives in a ship, kills the dragon with his mighty axe, skins the dragon and eats it, rapes the princess to death, steals her belongings and burns the castle before leaving.

* Death Metal
The protagonist arrives, kills the dragon, fucks the princess and kills her, then leaves.

* Black Metal
The protagonist arrives at midnight, kills the dragon and impales it in front of the castle. Then he sodomizes the princess, drinks her blood in a ritual before killing her. Then he impales the princess next to the dragon.

* Gore Metal
The protagonist arrives, kills the dragon and spreads his guts in front of the castle, fucks the princess and kills her. Then he fucks the dead body again, slashes her belly and eats her guts. Then he fucks the carcass for the third time, burns the corpse and fucks it for the last time.

* Doom Metal
The protagonist arrives, sees the size of the dragon and thinks he could never beat him, then he gets depressed and commits suicide. The dragon eats his body and the princess as dessert. That's the end of the sad story.

* Progressive Metal
The protagonist arrives with a guitar and plays a solo of 26 minutes. The dragon kills himself out of boredom. The protagonist arrives to the princess' bedroom, plays another solo with all the techniques and tunes he learned in the last year of the conservatory. The princess escapes looking for the 'Heavy Metal' protagonist.

* Glam Metal
The protagonist arrives, the dragon laughs at the guy's appearance and lets him enter. He steals the princess' make up and tries to paint the castle in a beautiful pink colour.

* Nu Metal
The protagonist arrives in a run down Honda Civic and attempts to fight the dragon but he burns to death when his moronic baggy clothes catch fire

Disclaimer: This post is not a representation of the views or opinions of Roadrunner Records. We just thought it was quite funny.

I like the way they dont mind making fun of 90% of their rosters "moronic baggy clothes" :Smug:

Hahahah I remember my bro reciting that list almost in it's entirity to me a few weeks ago. Good to finally read the thing.

vampyrouss said:
This was on the RR site:

I like the way they dont mind making fun of 90% of their rosters "moronic baggy clothes" :Smug:

well...they werent making fun of it...seeing as thats pretty old...