rolling movie thread

maybe this halloween a Dead marathon is in order since i haven't actually seen any of them all the way through.

so there's:
Night of the Living Dead
Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead

is that all of them? the reanimator marathon could be easier if it's only got the two movies.

how come like 80% of jackie chan's movies are totally goofy and awkward, yet i still keep watching them?
the jet li movie kiss of the dragon was dece, but i fell asleep in the twin dragons one so i have to watch it again.

name more Crouching Tiger type epics plzthx.

hk epics:
once upon a time in china series
zu warriors/legend of zu
fong sai yuk (aka The Legend)
kung fu colt master (w/jet lee - not a typo, silly but rad)
tai chi master (aka Twin Warriors)
bride w/white hair
and maybe green snake

some are more epic than others

Highlander is so good. Who wouldn't give a few years of their life to be Adrian Paul? But seriously my brother got real obsessed with Highlander this last summer and hearing him ramble on about the terrible confusing second movie is the best.

Brandon

school of rock: even though there's quite a few moments that are just annoying, there's also some really really funny parts. jack black is probably the worst person to hang out with ever, but he works great with the kids.

school of rock is pretty much a waste of time. it was JUST good enough that i watched the whole thing, but i never laughed aloud, and when it was over, i was like "wow i could totally have watched a million better things in that two hours".

toby, mia, and i saw Hero last night. i thought it was well-made, but jesus, it's the most nationalistic movie i've seen since Red Dawn. was it financed by the Chinese government?

"Do not depose the evil tyrant, because no matter what he does, in the end, he will be good for China."

hahaha, yeah, hero was pretty nationalistic, but i thought it was awesome. I've been a big fan of Jet Li and i was really dissapointed about his latest films made in amerika, but Hero was damn good. I've seen a lot of movies lately that don't seem to have a plot (Garden State, Napoleon Dynamite) and this one had an incredible plot. it was totally different from what I had expected based on the previews.

also, Garden State was totally awesome. Zach Braff is damn cool and Natalie Portman was so damn cute!

avi said:
don't expect too much from donkey-boy
yeah, definitely a let-down. but I don't expect much from Harmony Korine.

I saw Branded to Kill again recently. it's by one of my favorite directors, Seijun Suzuki. really stylish cinematography and cool jazzy score. probably the best crime/gangster movie I've seen in..forever. really influential on Tarantino, Lynch, Jarmusch, Miike, Fincher, etc.

I need to see Hero. It's one of the few Zhang Yimou films I haven't seen. I downloaded it about 2 years but had no English subs for it. :/

[edit] Branded to Kill doesn't make much sense at first but gets much better. also, what's wrong with Northern Exposure? :(

Northern Exposure is just okay. Not bad, I just don't need to see it as a dvd rental. if it came on tv in syndication, I'd probably watch.

I don't remember too much about Branded to Kill, but I thought it was kind of a let down from how much I've heard it talked up. I didn't think it was too special compared to other kooky private-eye kind of movies of the same era.

8-diagram pole fighter is probably the only shaw bros film I've seen. what other ones should I watch?

bombay talkie is the next movie I have to watch on-hand.

ricochet said:
I need to see Hero. It's one of the few Zhang Yimou films I haven't seen. I downloaded it about 2 years but had no English subs for it. :/

You can always download those too, you know.

http://subs.2ya.com/

I also had Hero for two years and only got around to watching it like a couple of months ago. Damn, sometimes lazy gets the best of me. :(

avi, shaw brothers:

the oily maniac is a must. if you haven't seen infra-man, jesus christ, do it!

the water margin [i//] is considered the big SB spectacle, and i have it lying on top of the television. i'll watch it soon.