Russell Allen's Atomic Soul

Now that it has been out awhile, What are your opinions on Russell Allen's solo work? I personally love it...it is unique and pretty rockin'! It is not, however, metal...at least not most of it...that is not a bad thing, though...

My favorite tracks are Voodoo Hand, Saucey Jack, and Atomic Soul...just a great effort...I truly believe that Russell Allen's Atomic Soul is the best solo work from an otherwise occupied artist in a long time...

I feel a truely great artist is a versatile artist. Russell proves he is great at blues, metal, and whatever he collaborates on. True talent has something for everyone. I'm sure we all agree. I enjoy all his endeavors. \m/
PS: He just kicks some metal ass! :headbang:

When I met Russ at the signings of Gigantour, I tried to stand out from the crowd (stupidly I wore my Odyssey shirt instead of my V shirt... me and about 400 other people). I tried to mention something a little personal to each member of the band. I couldn't think of anything for LePond. Rullo I also had a hard time with. I asked how his wife was doing. Pinella I commented how his Enter by the 12th Gate album is amazingly beautiful and awesome. It's true! Mr. Romeo got a complement on his Dark Chapter and Guitar Chapter works. I was ready to get to Russ when all of a sudden some guy runs up to him in a V shirt with an Atomic Soul CD in hand and asks him to sign it then gets a picture with him. I didn't bring my CD or camera :( Didn't even think about it actually. So I looked like a crappy fan compared to him. :\

Anyway, but Russ was really really cool. I told him I have that cd too. He's like, "Oh really? You liked it?"
To which I replied, "I loved it man. Gaia's my favorite track on there. You did an awesome job."
"Thanks. :D," he replied as he shook my hand.

(also saw him sit right behind me for a few seconds before Dream Theater went on)

I just now realized this has little to do with the album.... so to make it more on topic I liked it.

We Will Fly is so above all the other tracks on the album, it makes the rest look very inferior, but its a solid album, I could do without the first 2 tracks, but after that, its excellent.

very cool album, especially if you go to the website where russell talks about his influences, and basically how he's not always able to show off all his influences with SX, but he was with Atomic Soul. becomes very clear when he mentions bands like soundgarden and alice in chains(the most apparant to me on the album). i really think the album shows that russell can just plain out rock, even outside of the confines of SX. id say for me, the best part of Atomic Soul is clearly the lyrics...unbelievably funny and totally 80's, but still completely rockin. i mean, just listen to Loosin You. "you think that love is a late night booty call." such a departure from SX, but a great one!!!!

Hmmm, the first two tracks are my faves. And I dig that his '70s influences show. Very cool record.