Russell Allen´s Atomic Soul INFO !!!

That's probably the most helpful description I've seen so far...actually sounds pretty good to me. :)

Robotman said:
There's been too many vocalists who've released rubbish that's in a similar vein to their main bands (Timo Kotipelto as one example of many).

The Kotipelto albums are similar in someways to Stratovarius, but definately not rubbish. Waiting for the Dawn is way better then the past 3 or 4 Strat albums to come out. I don't care if the vocalist's solo ablum is the same as or way different then the original band... as long as it's good music.

Review of ‘Atomic Soul’ by Russell Allen.

I hope this is some help: (God bless us promo'ed bastards!)

Avid fans of power metal have been eagerly awaiting Symphony X singer Russell Allen’s new album in the same way those anorak-clad fans of Dr. Who have been anticipating the time-lord’s latest outings, and myself a huge fan (to both as a matter of fact), I deposited Atomic Soul in my CD player expecting large dollops of the prog power metal sensation, despite Mr. Allen describing his influences as Sabbath, Zeppelin and the like. When the opening riff of ‘Blackout’ boomed out my speakers, my hopes of Symphony X comparisons were pretty much thrown out the window, but any complaints of mine were instantly forgotten about, because the explosive, rocking starter of the new opus conjured up images of every classic heavy metal band from Judas Priest to Iron Maiden. The album was recorded in the ‘Dungeon’ studio, also used by Symphony X (one of the few similarities between the two projects), and a major plus point of the album is the fantastic production, allowing every instrument to be heard perfectly. Drummer Robert Nelson has an astonishing method of playing what you want to hear, and this is boosted by a juicy drum sound - the fills in ‘Unjustified’ for instance kept me on my toes whilst the powerful cowbells of ‘Voodoo Hand’ resemble Township Rebellion by Rage Against The Machine.
Comparisons have been made between Russell Allen and Ronnie James Dio, and although at times this is evident, such as in ‘Voodoo Hand’ and ‘Seasons Of Insanity’, where the powerful voice of Allen sounds like the miniscule former Sabbath and Rainbow frontman himself, the singers do not have all that much in common; Dio sounds like he believes what he sings about, whereas Allen appears to sing more from his soul. The musical stylings may be similar in places, but whilst Dio’s themes are about magic, Allen’s theme is whiskey (‘Voodoo Hand’), and whilst Dio sings about dragons, Allen sings about women (‘Loosin’ You’) – well, at least I hope you can see the difference between the two! Sometimes Allen’s singing has the texture of Soundgarden and Audioslave vocalist Chris Cornell, most noticeably in ‘Angel’, but in my opinion Allen’s composing is far superior to the hype of Audioslave or the dullness of Soundgarden, making for a fairly innovative and exciting record.
Another great strength of the fifty minute album is the variation; it’s like the proverbial box of chocolates - just when you think you have narrowed Allen down, he pulls out another style of rock, keeping you interested up to the bitter end of ‘Atomic Soul’. After some straightforward rock and roll numbers, he pulls out an almost ballad-like number in ‘The Distance’ – the way in which he sings around the notes in this number brought to mind Italian melodic power metal band Labyrinth (albeit with slightly loosened trousers). However, he does not allow things to grind to a halt, as ‘Seasons of Insanity’ gets the dandruff flying again with an extremely catchy riff, followed by ‘Gaia’, which boasts a grand orchestral feel, resembling Symphony X. After two rock and roll style love songs (actually they are more like rants about how badly he has been treated by his woman), ‘Loosin’ You’ and ‘Saucey Jack’, the latter including cheesy yet fun clapping sections, we find the epic of the album, ‘We Will Fly’. This song, almost eight minutes long, is a real highlight of the album, and boasts some amazing interplay between guitar and keyboard, which almost eclipses the title track after it, despite Jens Johansson, member of fellow prog power metallers Stratovarius contributing with a keyboard solo. This album is essential listening for anyone who thinks that power metal and its players one dimensional, whilst satisfying for fans of Symphony X, but perhaps disappointing for those wanting a carbon copy of the band. My advice is to skip Doctor Who for one week and switch the Sonic Screwdriver for an Atomic Soul - you won’t be disappointed!

Thanks for posting this. :)

Sounds VERY promising indeed! Can't wait for the US release now...

From somebody who's opinion i repect a lot i heard that it sounded like a third rate Bad Company....i'll still get it...but i'm expecting to be dissapointed....but maybe thats a good thing.

Taliwakker said:
From somebody who's opinion i repect a lot i heard that it sounded like a third rate Bad Company....i'll still get it...but i'm expecting to be dissapointed....but maybe thats a good thing.
Gave it a quick listen and I'd have to agree. I'll give it a few more listens, and I'll definitely buy just to support Russ and SX.

First off, I'm not impressed with the production. I hate the guitar sound. I think some of the songs are a bit cliché. Oh, well. It's only rock 'n' roll. Not so sure I like it. Sorry, Russ. I still think you are a kick-ass singer.

weenur said:
Gave it a quick listen and I'd have to agree. I'll give it a few more listens, and I'll definitely buy just to support Russ and SX.

First off, I'm not impressed with the production. I hate the guitar sound. I think some of the songs are a bit cliché. Oh, well. It's only rock 'n' roll. Not so sure I like it. Sorry, Russ. I still think you are a kick-ass singer.
Ok- Finally got a copy from my DJ friend in NYC (I"ll still buy my own when it comes out)---------------WOW :yell:
I don't know much about production, I just know a kickin cd when I hear one. I like what the one guy said about it being "like a box of chocolates" (and it wasn't Forest Gump that said it :D ). THere is SOMETHING for everyone. Many different styles--BUT ALL ROCK :headbang: I agree, after a few listens, it got much better. I also thought that about my Audioslave cd, and Velvet Revolver. Both seemed to me heh, after a while I loved them. ESPECIALLY with some of my SX cd's too! Overall, it just sounds great cranked up in the car, and rockin out------loved it RUSS!!!!! :worship: Ready for the next one ;) THIRD RATE BAD COMPANY IT IS NOT!!!!! You are much taller than Paul Rodgers :tickled:

mistymountaingrlrocks said:
Ok- Finally got a copy from my DJ friend in NYC (I"ll still buy my own when it comes out)---------------WOW :yell:
I don't know much about production, I just know a kickin cd when I hear one. I like what the one guy said about it being "like a box of chocolates" (and it wasn't Forest Gump that said it :D ). THere is SOMETHING for everyone. Many different styles--BUT ALL ROCK :headbang: I agree, after a few listens, it got much better. I also thought that about my Audioslave cd, and Velvet Revolver. Both seemed to me heh, after a while I loved them. ESPECIALLY with some of my SX cd's too! Overall, it just sounds great cranked up in the car, and rockin out------loved it RUSS!!!!! :worship: Ready for the next one ;) THIRD RATE BAD COMPANY IT IS NOT!!!!! You are much taller than Paul Rodgers :tickled:
I was the same way with Audioslave(going to see them tonight). I'll keep listening to it to see if it grows on me. There are a couple of tunes I like flat out, but overall, I'm not feeling it. We shall see if it turns the corner.

Mike Pinnella's still a part of SymX...and he's released a solo album already. I doubt Russ will be going anywhere.

mr.rs said:
I wouldn't care if it was polka, if Russ is on it I wanna own it!

My thoughts exactly.

I haven't posted in awhile but I'm going to throw in my two cents. I think it totally jams. It definitely has a classic rock vibe to it and in a couple songs I thought it totally sounded like Dio. It's one of those albums that takes a few listens to really hear the coolness of it. The song 'We Will Fly' is the best one, totally awesome.

And yes I will buy it the second it comes out, calm yourselves.