Russell Allen´s Atomic Soul INFO !!!

Somebody said "shish kebap" ? :)
Hey, you know what tastes good :) Actually it is written as "şiş kebap" in Turkish.

weenur said:
It isn't that hard, actually. It resembles English quite a bit. Some of the vowel pronunciations are a bitch( like "ui" ). I was conversational quite a while ago, but it's all left me now. I remember some words, and I might be able to understand someone speaking slowly, or read it still, but speak it, er... I'd sound like someone coughing up a lung. hehehe
Dutch is pretty close to German in most parts... I can get a general grasp of what someone's saying (when spoken slowly) without ever having actually learned a word.
So if you (Rose Immortal) can speak German, Dutch might follow. :)

The Stormbringer said:
Dutch is pretty close to German in most parts... I can get a general grasp of what someone's saying (when spoken slowly) without ever having actually learned a word.
So if you (Rose Immortal) can speak German, Dutch might follow. :)

Unfortunately, I only had a few years of German, and it wasn't very well-taught. :(

ErikSchierboom said:
Am I one of the few people not impressed at all by Atomic Soul?

You're not the only one. THe point to be made though is that it's not a S-X album nor does it resemble one. I don't think his vocals are that attractive here either and the style of songs don't suit me at all. So I'm not blown away by it. If you like the style (the aforementioned southern bluesy 70s rock'n'roll) then go for it.
The best song on the album I think is the 8min We Will Fly.

Gary

Robotman said:
You're not the only one. THe point to be made though is that it's not a S-X album nor does it resemble one. I don't think his vocals are that attractive here either and the style of songs don't suit me at all. So I'm not blown away by it. If you like the style (the aforementioned southern bluesy 70s rock'n'roll) then go for it.

Gary
AND THAT IS THE POINT! I haven't heard it yet, but I would hope that it sounds NOTHING like a SX cd. Why even do a solo record if it's the same stuff you do all the time. :yuk: BORING! As for the style, well I guess you WOULD have to like it to really enjoy it. However, we all know where Russ's roots are, so it sounds like it is exaclty the way he wanted it to be. :worship:

Robotman said:

Are we talking a Skynyrd or Stevie Ray Vaughn kind of approach, or (God forbid) CCR? Or something totally different?

mistymountaingrlrocks said:
AND THAT IS THE POINT! I haven't heard it yet, but I would hope that it sounds NOTHING like a SX cd. Why even do a solo record if it's the same stuff you do all the time. :yuk: BORING! As for the style, well I guess you WOULD have to like it to really enjoy it. However, we all know where Russ's roots are, so it sounds like it is exaclty the way he wanted it to be. :worship:

I do understand the point :) - I'm not, and will not, criticise it based on the fact that it isn't SX. This is a great example of a singer doing something totally out there - and congrats for that; just don't expect current SX listeners to be enamoured and suddenly have a great desire to dive more into this style of music. This is a slight diversion until the next SX album more than anything else. It'll get hyped briefly (and for all the wrong reasons UNFORTUNATELY; i.e., it's Russell Allen from SX) and then forgotten. It's a shame their label doesn't have more connections with media who do play this because as it stands this won't go out to the people who should be hearing it.

There's been too many vocalists who've released rubbish that's in a similar vein to their main bands (Timo Kotipelto as one example of many). Atomic Soul is not my style of music and I think if this was released by Jesus himself then SX fans wouldn't even glance at it. But as a testimony to his roots and passions then this is an interesting example but as a metal fan I won't be spending any more of my life listening to a style of music that just doesn't do it for me.

If I understood this style of music better than I could give you a better appraisal of it but I just don't. My only reference point here is Russell's vocals and Symphony X. And both are not like we're used to.

I'm not one to use full-MP3s to sample music but I would HIGHLY recommend checking out sound samples from Inside Out's webpages to see if you actually like what he's doing before blindly buying this.

:)

Gary

just wondering... mysymontaingrlrocks... that's not you on your avatar right???

Btw, this project by Russel seems quite interesting, I never heard of it before.

Iced Dog said:
I'm not big on that style of music, but I think for what it is, it's a decent album

Well I agree, it's not the style that deters me. I actually think that it's a very good thing that Russell tries himself on other genres. What does disturbs me is the way Russell uses his voice. His voice sounds.... "plain", for lack of a better word. His range is not that big on the album and it's all in the same vein. In SX albums his vocals are incredibly diverse (just listen to The Odyssey!) and he uses his full talent IMHO. On Atomic Soul I believe he doesn't. I was hoping for a little bit more variety, secretly I was hoping on something as varied as Jeff Buckley's masterpiece Grace.

But hey, correct me if I'm wrong, this is Russell's first solo effort ain't it? If so, perhaps I shouldn't be that hard it's just not what I expected it to be. :)

ErikSchierboom said:
Well I agree, it's not the style that deters me. I actually think that it's a very good thing that Russell tries himself on other genres. What does disturbs me is the way Russell uses his voice. His voice sounds.... "plain", for lack of a better word. His range is not that big on the album and it's all in the same vein. In SX albums his vocals are incredibly diverse (just listen to The Odyssey!) and he uses his full talent IMHO. On Atomic Soul I believe he doesn't. I was hoping for a little bit more variety, secretly I was hoping on something as varied as Jeff Buckley's masterpiece Grace.

But hey, correct me if I'm wrong, this is Russell's first solo effort ain't it? If so, perhaps I shouldn't be that hard it's just not what I expected it to be. :)

any soundclips availible yet?

Hehe cool album never thought russell with mention the words "booty call"
"ooh baby baby" in a song
LOL

The promo has been distributed for about a week. I have a copy borrowed from my record store owner friend. I am really enjoying this CD. It is not music for prog fans, it's for RUSS ALLEN fans. He is basically saying to us "this is where I came from, the music that shaped me to what I am". It's a credit to his influences and the sounds of these songs remind me of Bad Company, Deep Purple, Led Zep, even southern rockin' blues like Molly Hatchett. I love it. This is one kickass driving album. Thanks, Russ!!