Saddest song you've ever heard

I can't believe you guys can't get into Agalloch. They're so good, listen to In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion. I can't see anyway you won't like it. Have you heard that track yet? I find a ton of their songs great but that one is the one that got me into them and to me is one of their best works.

I find Agalloch to be a bit gimmicky. A bunch of guys who draw influence from many other bands who have already accomplished what they have created, but better.

They aren't anything special or unique. The singer is their best quality. The growly vocals are awful though.

But they certainly do sound good if you're into gimmicky/mediocre, knock-off bands that show their influence greatly.

Here I can say that I wholeheartedly agree with Stefan, I've tried Agalloch several times, but there isn't a single riff, melody or phrase that even moves a single cell in my body.. I tried, I really did.. I wanted to like it.

Also I have to agree that Antimatter have written some extremely sad and down stuff, even though I'm not even a huge fan. Antimatter is a total party killer. That's Duncan Patterson's influence, he also wrote most of Anathema's darkest and saddest songs, Lost Control for instance, my god that is one miserable song.

Duncan is one of my inspirations. I'd say he's one of the greatest song writers to have ever walked this earth. In my own opinion anyway.

Here I can say that I wholeheartedly agree with Stefan, I've tried Agalloch several times, but there isn't a single riff, melody or phrase that even moves a single cell in my body.. I tried, I really did.. I wanted to like it.

Same here. Tried songs and albums many times.. seems everyone into Katatonia, Opeth, Anathema etc. loves 'em. I just don't get it.

Yeah, I love that song so much... every song from both records I find outstanding. Though Infinite Submission has always been a track that really gets me from Rain Without End.

I find Agalloch to be a bit gimmicky. A bunch of guys who draw influence from many other bands who have already accomplished what they have created, but better.

They aren't anything special or unique. The singer is their best quality. The growly vocals are awful though.

But they certainly do sound good if you're into gimmicky/mediocre, knock-off bands that show their influence greatly.

They are very Ulver at times but similiar to a band like Daylight Dies they don't have the most original sound but they do it so well that it doesn't really matter. I'll take a quality song over an original song any day.

They are very Ulver at times but similiar to a band like Daylight Dies they don't have the most original sound but they do it so well that it doesn't really matter. I'll take a quality song over an original song any day.

I'll take a "quality original" song over a quality song, or an original song any day.

sadness itself is a personnal, introspective thing
We could recognize sadness in a drop of water or in a dead flower, it's personnal.
I have recognized 'Brave' as their more intense and saddest song.
My opinion.

Agalloch singer cant sing.
at all.

I do like Agalloch, but sadly this is very true. Every bootleg I have ever seen, the clean vocals are out, and the 'growling' (ie whispering and trying to sound metal at the same time) is ever weaker than on the recordings. I was talking to a friend of mine who went to the recent live dvd recording, and they actually started the set again when they fucked up a song. Poor...

...hey ..there this is ma first reply ..eva here ...nd ..
opeth -weakness but man ...here is a topic ..in 1 of the best metal sites about this ..shit
3. The Smiths – “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now”
4. Radiohead – “How to Disappear Completely”
5. Eminem – “Stan”
6. Evanescence – “My Immortal”
7. Annie Lennox – “Why”
8. Pink Floyd – “Comfortably Numb”
9. Jeff Buckley – “Hallelujah”
10. Bruce Springsteen – “Secret Garden”
---------------------------------------------------
nd here is the best ten for the metal ...death doom/doom

1. My Dying Bride “Two Winters Only”......Meisterwerk II" (2001)
2. Converge - “They Stretch for Miles”.....The Poacher Diaries
3. Swallow the Sun - “The Morning Never Came”
4. Primordial - “The Coffin Ships”........The Gathering Wilderness
5. Katatonia - “I Break”...
6. Cathedral - “Reaching Happiness, Touching Pain”.....Forest Of Equilibrium
7. Candlemass - “The Well of Souls”.......nightfall
8. Thergothon - “Yet the Watchers Guard”.........Stream From The Heavens
9. Anathema - “Cerulean Twilight”...........The Silent Enigma
10. Saturnus - “Thou Art Free”.........For The Loveless Lonely Nights

:headbang: ibrahim katatonia 4 ever

Duncan is one of my inspirations. I'd say he's one of the greatest song writers to have ever walked this earth. In my own opinion anyway.

I agree with you here. One thing though, as much as I love Antimatter's music...I really just don't like his voice. It honestly reminds me of Pearl Jam or some grunge/dirt rock voice. If you look at my lastfm shit I have played it a lot, the music is great but his voice I just cannot get into at all..
Even still, I think Epitaph is one of the more moving songs I've heard.

I agree with you here. One thing though, as much as I love Antimatter's music...I really just don't like his voice. It honestly reminds me of Pearl Jam or some grunge/dirt rock voice. If you look at my lastfm shit I have played it a lot, the music is great but his voice I just cannot get into at all..
Even still, I think Epitaph is one of the more moving songs I've heard.

You don't like Mick's voice?

I guess we all do and do not like certain singing voices. I especially don't care much for Jonas voice on LFDGD, Discouraged Ones, or Tonight's Decision too much. There are certain lines that just seem out of tune, or just awkward on those albums. Such as on "gone" the first lines sound strange to me. I really like the singing on Viva Emptiness and TGCD though.