say something about ... yourself!

wikipedia:

Italian ice is a frozen dessert made from either concentrated syrup flavoring or fruit purees. It is not shaved ice that is flavored, rather, it is made by the same process by which ice cream is made: mixing ingredients and pouring them into a batch freezer. Common flavors include cherry, coconut, piña colada, blueberry, and lemon. Some specialty shops also sell a wider array of flavors, such as cantaloupe, orange and chocolate.

edit: if you look through the comments on the italian ice wiki and the granita wiki you'll see people arguing the subtle differences between the two that make them unique from one another hahaha

It's a granita in Italian...hmm. I always thought they were called slurpees back home, for people who never heard of the term ICEE. Are there still ICEEs? You know, the ones you get in the convenience stores with the polar bear on the cup?

I know it's not a sno cone because those are just chopped ice with flavoring squirted on top of them.

ah, no, Italian Ices are definitely different from ICEEs or Slurpees. Italian ices are a lot thicker and not liquidy in consistency. ICEEs/Slurpees/Slushes usually have larger ice crystals as well, though I guess ICEEs and Slurpees are closer than that of the generic "slush", like a Slush Puppy ( I think that's what the ones from High's were called). But they all have a lot of liquid that separates out from them.

Ah cool, so it really is a granita then! I had never had one till I came here...we always had ICEEs and Slush Puppies and stuff back home, but I thought they were the same. But maybe that's just because I hadn't had them in such a long time.

But the granite here are quite liquidy, though, which is why I thought they were just like Slush Puppies. Once you suck all the liquid out of them, you have to start eating it with the straw/spoon they give you until it melts into more liquid. I've honestly never had an Italian ice in the states. Now I'm curious. The granite here are pretty sweet, though...almost sickeningly so. They serve them in quite small cups usually because after you're done you feel like your teeth are gonna rot out of your mouth. The mint ones are especially nice for cooling off on a hot day.

I'm doing some googling about it and maybe the reason I think they were so prevalent back in the day is that it seems it was originally a Philadelphia (and maybe New York) thing. Meaning that's why they were all over the north east whereas everywhere else I tend to see the "Snow Cone"/"Shaved Ice" stands.

But yeah, it's basically water-based "ice cream". Which from reading about granitas seems to be the exact same thing. But I suppose the one difference is that granitas are made to cover that whole range of eat with a spoon to drink with a straw, where as Italian Ices are actually a patented food here distinct from Slurpees. It's thick enough you can just scoop them into a paper cup. A scoop of slurpee would just ooze everywhere.

They have gone crazy with having a wide range of flavors now, but I remember back in the day the one big flavor you could get everywhere was LEMON ICE (and I'm pretty sure they just called it Lemon Ice at the time and didn't say italian anywhere)

Anyway now we're going to go to RITA'S ITALIAN ICE AND CUSTARD!!!! because one finally opened in Texas. I am likely going to order a gelati. You're welcome to rant about the improper use of Italian on that one because the food it names is not at all gelato! (A Rita's gelati is just a cup with layers of custard and italian ice)

Nummy! Gelato just means frozen in Italian. It doesn't mean ice cream, it's just the term they use for it. I know, they're a weird people. "Can I get a cup of frozen, please?"

I sometimes miss American ice cream like Blue Bell and Ben and Jerry's. Good stuff.

my motorcycle exam is in 3 weeks, cant wait:cool: already looking for a bike and it is probable going to be this one:

hondahornet900-2.jpg

well i'm sure it will be the Honda Hornet 900cc

Anyway now we're going to go to RITA'S ITALIAN ICE AND CUSTARD!!!! because one finally opened in Texas. I am likely going to order a gelati. You're welcome to rant about the improper use of Italian on that one because the food it names is not at all gelato! (A Rita's gelati is just a cup with layers of custard and italian ice)

I got the strawberry custard. That shitz was so good, we had to come home immediately for rape.