say something about ... yourself!

Yeah, I'm thinkin I may have a future in Network Admin. I have an internship now mainly working with Active Directory, and I'm surprised at how quickly I've wrapped my brain around it.

AD is fun, just don't lock yourself out of the DC. Yes, it is possible....stupid bitch from one of my classes last year managed to do it. The whole group was locked out of the DC and it was too late in the quarter to rebuild the network. You can safely assume that they didn't create a back door administrator account.

yeah network admin would be something i would like to do in the future, i would really like to do it on linux just because it would be a nice reprive from having worked on windows OS's all my life, Linux is kind of refresing, but windows is soo much easier :p

Even though GUIs are standard in Linux nowadays, once you learn a *nix-based OS, you'll want to do everything in CLI.

AD is fun, just don't lock yourself out of the DC. Yes, it is possible....stupid bitch from one of my classes last year managed to do it. The whole group was locked out of the DC and it was too late in the quarter to rebuild the network. You can safely assume that they didn't create a back door administrator account.

Haha awesome.

So get this, the clinic I work with has 80+ employees and they havent set up AD. The IT admin has been assigning rights to INDIVIDUAL USERS. Silly, but what a trooper.

hah see they teach you about this (vaguely) in class but i would have no idea how to set up an active directory (allthough i might, they just dont say in the videos "this is how you set up an active directory"), or what DC stands for :lol: im fucked.

oh see now i kind of understand, in theory i know what your talking about but i would have no idea on how to actually do it, but with what i've learned today (so funny that we are talking about this and it just happens to be what im watching in the videos right now :lol:) i will probably go and fuck up my houses network trying to set up an AD :p i learn more tinkering.

oh see now i kind of understand, in theory i know what your talking about but i would have no idea on how to actually do it, but with what i've learned today (so funny that we are talking about this and it just happens to be what im watching in the videos right now :lol:) i will probably go and fuck up my houses network trying to set up an AD :p i learn more tinkering.

No hands on? That sucks. Do they at least provide you with software? My college had a partnership with Microsoft called ELMs, which included a shit ton of software. I have multiple licenses for Server 2000, 2003, 2008, XP, Vista, Windows 7.....the list goes on.

I also got some VMWare shit (like the non-free version of ESX) but it expires after a year, so I haven't used it. The Microsoft shit doesn't expire, hence why I am using the copy of Windows 7 I got from ELMs. I'm still on the college's payroll so my old boss (and old professor) signs me up for ELMs quarterly.

You shouldn't run into issues with setting up AD at your house since you have to manually set each machine to join the domain. I foresee troubles if you set up a DHCP server, though. :lol:

yes we are set-up with MSDN academic alliance, i get server 2008, 7, XP, etc. etc. and apprently our instructor is going to be setting up a thing so we can get a buch of different linux distros and Mac for our VMware. plus old versions of windows like 3.x and 9.x.

and no its just 3-4 computers on a peer-to-peer, i just like experimenting :lol:

and does anything you do over a network (on Ubuntu messing with Samba shares) on a virtual machine actually effect the network? i dont want to delete anything :p

I'm not entirely sure that he did it just because they're cheap because they get grants and stuff for shit like this. I think he just didn't get around to it when the company was small, and still didn't when it kept growing. The guy is a little out there. Oh well, its good experience for me.

Oh, and its not peer-to-peer, theres a server and everyone else are clients, but he just never set up AD.

lol yeah like that he just wanted to put them all in neat little packages we could download to fuck with, it wasn't really anything important so i assme he knows you can get them from there.

lol yeah like that he just wanted to put them all in neat little packages we could download to fuck with, it wasn't really anything important so i assme he knows you can get them from there.

Honestly, it's more beneficial to create the VM yourself during the learning process. Virtualization is becoming more and more popular so the more experience you have, the more valuable you will become.

lol dont say that for a while i was actually downloading the OS's and putting them on an old hard drive i found and was messing around with them, then uninstalling them and putting on another one (was trying to find a linux distro i liked) im pretty damn patient with computer, i just dont know much about VMware to mess with them right now :p

^lol im pretty sure you can already do that, it just takes a bit of work to setup.