say something about ... yourself!

patient_bear.jpg

except that 192.168.0.1 is just a generic private ip address, which though commonly used as the default gateway address on consumer level routers, is hardly written in stone, is user configurable (I use a 10. private address space with a /26 subnet in my home LAN), and is a poor analogue for "home."

Thusly the much superior:

noplace.jpg

Which is universal, immutable, and a very good analogue for "home."

how are you using a 10. IP address? haven't all of those been taken already?

Going back to the office in Sausalito for the real job interview this afternoon. Apparently out of hundreds of resumes, I'm one of only four people who were selected for interviews, and the job seems pretty sweet so I'm hoping for the best!

yeah but aren't private address 192.168.0.1-192.168.255.254? lol im at school learning this shit as im typing it right now :p

There are private address spaces for Class A, Class B and Class C. You're right with the 192. address space but there are also private address spaces using 10. and 172.16-31 (I think) networks. Think about the differences in the classes (/8 /16 and /24) and you'll see why there are private address spaces in each network class.

Like previously mentioned though, CIDR (otherwise dubbed subnetting) is often used, which tends to cancel out the whole class thing. For example, Comcast Small Business gateways are addressed 10.1.10.1 but instead of being /8 (class A), they come /24 (class C). Classes are pretty much obsolete but are often referred to as they easily explain the type of private space. It's generally easier to say 'class A' than the actual network address.

yeah Network+ sucks :p i understood everything in A+ fine but after three hours here learning about IP addresses and the OUI model im ready to fuckin quit :zombie:

OUI? I'm assuming you mean OSI model. I remember the OSI model due to my studies but to be honest, I've never applied it in real-world settings.

It's not so bad....just wait until you get into subnetting. That is where the real fun begins. You'll probably never use it either, since everything you are learning will be obsolete once IPv6 launches.

So are you taking CompTIA specific courses or something? To be perfectly honest, I'd save your money and apply your learnings to obtain Microsoft-based (or Cisco-based) certifications. CompTIA certs are pretty generic (think Geek Squad) and a lot of companies don't give two shits about them.

OUI? I'm assuming you mean OSI model. I remember the OSI model due to my studies but to be honest, I've never applied it in real-world settings.

It's not so bad....just wait until you get into subnetting. That is where the real fun begins. You'll probably never use it either, since everything you are learning will be obsolete once IPv6 launches.

So are you taking CompTIA specific courses or something? To be perfectly honest, I'd save your money and apply your learnings to obtain Microsoft-based (or Cisco-based) certifications. CompTIA certs are pretty generic (think Geek Squad) and a lot of companies don't give two shits about them.

yeah it's CompTIA, im working at a movie theater making minimum wage so i figured go through CompTIA get those certs and get something like geeksquad for some experience and come back here and get some windows certs and move up from there etc.

my aunt said she would most likely have a job opening at hanscom airforce base if i got a Linux+ cert so i might do that.

and yeah i meant OSI, someone was talking about an OUI a few minutes ago so must have been subconsious :p

Shit, that just reminded me that I have a Unix cert.

Anyway, go for Linux dude. If you don't have any experience in Unix-based systems, you may struggle a bit at first. What does the job entail? Tell her to hire me and I'll move to wherever the fuck. :lol: I'm getting tired of Washington.....but I am still in school here.

Piss.

yeah its in Massachusett's, and she was saying they are pretty desperate, and apparently you get to travel a lot, quite a few of the employees are stationed over in Germany.

which is fucking perfect because i love Europe, know a bit of german, and I have enjoyed my experimenting with Linux so far :p

does it matter much if the linux+ is CompTIA? it is really hard to find a place that offers these courses up in Maine, im traveling a good 180 miles two days a week just for these certs because theres no place we could find thats closer...

It probably won't matter. Like I said, a lot of companies don't give a shit about CompTIA certs as much as Microsoft but having the cert shows that you have knowledge. Microsoft, Cisco etc. just have more credibility and it's generally dependent on the company. My logic is based off of observations I have made in the job search process I had previously conducted.

Is it a civilian-based job or do you have to enlist into the AF?

Hubschrauber katzen pimmel hut!