say something about ... yourself!

So I just received my artist copy of this book that I did the cover art for, I was really happy to get it. I emailed the author to say thanks for sending it, but wondered why it didn't come from the publisher.
The author replied with a hey, glad you liked it, you really deserved it etc. type reply and then too bad they butchered it.
Come to find out, they cut like the 3 inch center of the cover out and pasted it on some horrid shit green background, tossed the back cover art and spine in the trash. Very Odd.

http://lamegoatpress.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cnovels&action=display&thread=153

See the my original at the beginning of the thread and the "new" cover towards the end. The author seems REALLY unhappy, I'm not mad but confused. the publisher justified it by saying he needed to make all of the books look the same.

Dude you're fucking lucky. 93 ANYWHERE will get you screwed. You might not get that lucky again. If you passed me on the freeway going that fast, I'd think to myself "Now there's goes a true blue motherfucking idiot."

No offense.

So I just received my artist copy of this book that I did the cover art for, I was really happy to get it. I emailed the author to say thanks for sending it, but wondered why it didn't come from the publisher.
The author replied with a hey, glad you liked it, you really deserved it etc. type reply and then too bad they butchered it.
Come to find out, they cut like the 3 inch center of the cover out and pasted it on some horrid shit green background, tossed the back cover art and spine in the trash. Very Odd.

http://lamegoatpress.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cnovels&action=display&thread=153

See the my original at the beginning of the thread and the "new" cover towards the end. The author seems REALLY unhappy, I'm not mad but confused. the publisher justified it by saying he needed to make all of the books look the same.

The green does not look good.

That would piss me right off. I'd want to make sure it was clear in whatever liner notes there may be that I'm credited ONLY for the actual work I did, and not the shitty MS Paint copy paste job that some dumbfuck decided to do that completely ruined it without telling me.

hahaha the new 'art' looks like they fed a baby some creamed spinach then had him shit all over the original cover. if that is to conform to the 'standard' they have a fucking ugly standard. i certainly wouldnt buy a book that looked so obviously amateur, as i would expect the inner content to be just as shoddy!

It is just confusing, the book hasn't been out long at all. Not long enough to not have this "all books must look the same" idea in thier head. So why let me do all of that work? The spine, back cover, front etc. Or simply come back and say "Hey, can you help me out? I need to change this all so my books look alike."
It went from Pro looking to "I makes it myself".
I'll just have to be mindful in the future if I'm ever approached to do any work for them to simply say, sorry no can't do it.

damn im glad i live in Maine, went 75 in a 55 few months ago guy took my info and said i get a mild warning, cool dude too he seemed like he didn't really care he was apparently out there for OUI detail anyway. everyone here complains about how strict our cops are but i guarantee there is much worse.