say something about ... yourself!

Wheel of Time was a really excellent concept (being almost entirely ripped off from LotR and Dune) that went horribly awry somewhere around book 5. Totally worth reading the first one though.

Book 5 was more difficult to get though but was definitely worth it. 6 and 7 were great. Number 8 is the drag though. I've yet to progress through this one.

The books aren't for slow readers or those with short attention spans. You have to love detail to enjoy these books. To say they are shit though would be innacurate in my opinion. Also, these books aren't ripoffs from anything and have a unique writing style that make them different from anything else.

To WhiteBeast, I'd recommend reading everything else first, then tackling the WoT series. It will take a a lot of time.

Just got home from an epic night hike. It started off just as the sun started setting for the night and we were back to the trail head by midnight. Most of the way was dry trail but the last mile and a half or so was covered in snow and there was a patchy snowstorm going on. At times the wind was so strong the snow was literally blowing past us sideways and blasting into our faces. It was grim as fuck and kind of reminded me of this:

Deeds_Of_Flesh_-_Path_Of_The_Weakening_-_Front.jpg

After 4 and a half miles up, we reached the summit at 10pm and were completely engulfed in a storm cloud. It was cold, dark, snowy and desolate. I wish I had pics but they would not have turned out to represent what it was really like up there. I tried with my phone but it was pointless. After a few minutes, the clouds parted, the moon came out and shined light all over everything and the winds stopped. We could see forever! It was really cool.

It got very cold on the summit, so we started back down to warm up again. It took a long time but eventually the temperature picked back up and I got feeling back to my fingertips and toes. The was of the trip was uneventful, save for a something that made noise in the bushes just off trail. We could see the reflection of it's eyes leering back at us but we couldn't tell what it was. It was pretty small, we thought possible a chipmunk or maybe a raccoon. After a couple minutes, we walked off and that was that. We got back to the car at midnight and went home and now I zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Good times :)

:kickass:

yo Kev, what gear do you take with you?
Depends what I am doing. Last night I brought:

- Day pack
- Rain proof pack cover
- Rain pants and jacket
- Headlamp
- Yak Trax (different brand though, forget what they are called... these came in SUPER handy once we reached the snow pack)
- Soloist cookset
- Camp chair that I never used, aka dead weight
- 12oz Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
- Bottle of water
- Extra t-shirt for when I sweat through the first one

When I'm spending a couple nights in the woods, it's all that stuff plus an ultralight tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, ropes, garbage bags, batteries, food, water filter, stove and white gas, and tons of other random crap. I have a whole closet dedicated to camping stuff now and I'm turning into a huge gear nut.

I'm packing later tonight for a camping trip this weekend and I've been meaning to take pics of all my gear right before I pack it up, so maybe I'll do that tonight.

Ahh yes, my knife... I have a Benchmade Griptilian that I absolutely love. I'm not sure if it's a "survival" knife, but it's a good size for my hands and I carry it every day. Can't recommend Benchmade knives enough.

Yeah fixed blades are the shit. They feel so much beefier and stronger. I just don't feel like I need to pack around something so big for what I'm usually doing. I need a decent camp saw before I get a bigger knife. Someday though, I will have a fixed blade!

edit: plus, I'm not the greatest with sharp objects. I've cut myself with knives and hatchets multiple times and I fear the consequences of fucking up badly with such a serious tool.

http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/article.aspx?post=bdbac668-cf1e-45a1-9c6e-d5261daab316&gt1=33009

i don't drive so i'm totally out of the loop but $4 for gas really blows. i never got my license so i've never had to deal with this but it seems like the days where teenagers/young adults used to drive around on weekends just cruising and socializing are disappearing (they do this a shitload in the suburbs if not where you live, in my town where i was a teenager on friday and saturday people would just drive around all night picking up other people to go be rebels via drinking, stealing alc, or doing/buying drugs).

makes me wonder when people are going to break and demand another source of fuel so vehemently that something actually does change. until then i'll stick with bart/muni and their absurd prices and horribly unreliable and shittacular service/cars (i'm lookin at you bart and your fabric hobogerm seats)

My guess is once it reaches double digits, people will finally flip their shit. $10/gallon sounds a lot more expensive than $9.