say something about ... yourself!

Check out Norwegian forest cats in that case! Not only is their hair super long, but they're the biggest house cats one can get. They look way better than Mayn Coons. (SP?)

Vortex just signed Storm Seeker to Century Media for an August release. Excellent.

zjb62b.jpg

tl;dr and srs bzns alert!

On an unrelated and very serious note, I just got an enormous wake-up call. I'm at a potentially extremely destructive level of psychological unhealthiness even though I didn't realize it myself and thought I was a normal, healthy person. I need to change, right now, because I'm at the level psychologists label "red flag level", where all the attempts to avoid the thing one fears most have produced the exact opposite, and that fear becomes the reality one is confronted with - in my case the fear of being a bad person, one who's become a complete antithesis of the principles I held so high, of being evil, and irredeemable, of failing oneself and one's standards. It's basically the level that signals the beginning of extremely destructive behaviour towards the self and the environment. Right now I'm a disaster waiting to happen, to myself and my surroundings. It's not too late to turn it around, I hope, and I'm starting right now.

I'm feeling awful, afraid and mentally very ill (not in a crazy sense, but in a damaged/poisoned one), but I know what's wrong with me now, I know what all those things beneath the surface have been that make me so judgmental, intolerant and sometimes downright cruel. The things that made me a bad person - exactly the very thing I've always found most important to avoid. I'm going to try and heal myself even though right now it looks like an impossible task. First thing I have to determine for myself is whether or not I'm irredeemable, whether or not I'll ever be able to understand, and truly realize and live with the fact that the standards I hold for myself and others are unattainable and that I can accept that people, including myself, have faults and that being human is not a reason for condemnation. I don't know if I'll succeed, I might not.

As to how that affects you guys, some of you are the same as I am, just as unhealthy in different ways, and I still feel completely justified in confronting you with your imperfections, even if my methods weren't always productive. I still stand by many things I've said that were critical, because even though they may have been painful, they were things that needed to be said, things that if received correctly, hopefully have have made better people out of you.

But the main reason I'm so messed up inside is guilt, so I need to start finding ways to stop that feeling consuming me. One of those ways is understanding why I act this way and explaining it to you people, even though you're all people on an internet forum and internet is serious business and all that bullcrap. You people are all real people, and though some of you may dismiss what I say or even laugh at it, you all have feelings and coming to terms with myself means respecting yours.

Therefore, to some of you, I've been unnecessarily harsh, judgmental, intolerant and hurtful, striking out at you unfairly and unjustly. You have no idea how difficult it is for me to admit this, even on an internet forum, but I was striking out at you people when in fact I was, without even knowing it, raging against myself for not being able to live up to my own standards, and dulling that guilt, justifying myself by capitalizing on others' faults, or what I saw as faults. It's no excuse, and I'm not making any, but I am saying that if I've kicked out at you unjustly, that the one I was truly hating was myself and my imperfections. For that I am truly, deeply sorry. Towards you for being that way, and towards myself for knowingly allowing that behaviour to deceive me and pushing me deeper into my personal Hell, where the desire to make the world better was unconsciously replaced by the desire to silence critics, justify myself and put down others to make myself appear better. I have to change this back to what it once was, I have to fix my faults instead of silencing people that draw attention to them, and that way, I can again begin to do what healthy people like me do: make the world better by setting a good example, instead of ruthlessly convicting everyone but myself.

It's going to be a hard road, if it's even worth starting at all, but I have to do this or I'll destroy myself (which right now feels entirely justified) and maybe others as well, and that I will not allow to happen. This post was one of the first steps, and I don't doubt many of you will see it as weakness, or a good opportunity to be snide or gloating, but so be it. If people react this way, that's their faults showing, and I need to learn that people are permitted to have them. However, if you do feel the urge to be rotten about this post, stop for a moment and wonder if it's not at all realistic that you are like I am. And wonder if, maybe sooner or later, you'll receive the same wake-up call that'll make you feel as awful as I am feeling right now.

I have a long, slow, painful process ahead of me, and right now I just want to lay down and die, hating myself for not being as virtuous as I wanted to be, and thought I was, but as long as there is still a possibility that I can get through this and come out a better person, I'm going to fight.

Wish me luck. And hope, like I am doing right now, that I'm not irredeemable.

Just my two cents.

I think you're overreacting a little bit. You and I are similar, at least in the way we hold ourselves up to be bastions of impenetrable walls and impeccable integrity. We have extremely high standards for what we want out of life and are uncompromising in attaining those goals; I'm not talking about money or success or anything of the sort, I'm simply talking about lifestyles.

However, the thing that's more worrying than anything else in your statement is that you hold so fast to your integrity that when you find something you dislike about yourself, it seems like you're going off the deep end and exaggerating it to the point of insanity. I mean, stop a second and think about it: what are you really upset over? So you've become a little jaded and cynical and sometimes project that onto other people...and? Everyone has their faults but to let it affect you to this degree tells me that either that's not the entire truth of the matter or you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Relax. You don't have a fucked up life. You weren't an abused and abandoned child. You have a good job. You're a good looking guy. You live in fucking Belgium. You have a great quality of life. You're very intelligent and open-minded and derive enjoyment from a plethora of hobbies and interests. So you occasionally snap and throw shit at people because they don't measure up to your standards, and by doing that you're not measuring up to your own standards. Big deal...join the club, we've got jackets. We're all big boys and girls and we wear big boys and girls underpants, so we can take it. :p

Just my two cents.

I think you're overreacting a little bit. You and I are similar, at least in the way we hold ourselves up to be bastions of impenetrable walls and impeccable integrity. We have extremely high standards for what we want out of life and are uncompromising in attaining those goals; I'm not talking about money or success or anything of the sort, I'm simply talking about lifestyles.
It's not really overreacting. I'm realizing that something's seriously unhealthy about myself and I need to take steps to fix it, and part of this process is acknowledging how I feel and how I've acted, and why.

However, the thing that's more worrying than anything else in your statement is that you hold so fast to your integrity that when you find something you dislike about yourself, it seems like you're going off the deep end and exaggerating it to the point of insanity.
And that is the sign of my unhealthy state. I'm not saying I'm worried that I'm insane, I never did, I'm saying there's been worrying evolutions inside myself and I need to put a stop to those before it's too late. For me, the thing I fear most is finding out that I've betrayed my own principles, that I've been condemning others while the most condemnable one is myself. I don't want that to happen, so I need to fix it.

I mean, stop a second and think about it: what are you really upset over? So you've become a little jaded and cynical and sometimes project that onto other people...and? Everyone has their faults
Exactly. And having faults is one of the most difficult things people of my personality type can live with. And in order for me to be able to do so, I need to start by learning to live with other people's faults.

Relax. You don't have a fucked up life. You weren't an abused and abandoned child. You have a good job. You're a good looking guy. You live in fucking Belgium. You have a great quality of life.
It's not about any of that. I understand what you mean, but no amount of material success or comfort can change the basic desire of a person. I know you're trying to get me to put those things in perspective, but you simply can't put being unhealthy and destructive into perspective, because it's such a personal and internal thing.

You're very intelligent and open-minded and derive enjoyment from a plethora of hobbies and interests. So you occasionally snap and throw shit at people because they don't measure up to your standards, and by doing that you're not measuring up to your own standards.
Exactly. Every time I lash out at someone, I fail myself and the standards I hold so high. That's no problem for other people, but it is for me. You're absolutely right in what you say, that it's not a big deal, but for someone with my personality, it's incredibly difficult to realize that having faults is permitted. You can tell me it is, but it'll take a lot of work before I can realize, and accept it.

Big deal...join the club, we've got jackets. We're all big boys and girls and we wear big boys and girls underpants, so we can take it. :p
I'm sure you can, and I was never worried for your emotional wholeness. It's never been about that. I know you guys can take all the shit, the thing is, I need to make a change, and I can only start with myself - and making a change means admitting what I do wrong and why, so I can fix the broken parts inside me and begin to feel better about myself.

Thanks for the insight though. You're right about everything you say, it's just that I need to fix this problem myself. I need to do things for the right reasons again, not because I want to hide the fact that I'm getting closer to having my basic fear become reality.

My mom came in a while ago saying that she had something for me...turned out to be a pair of infant girls boots...she said she hoped she wasnt rushing me and my fiance. for those of you who dont know...I'm 20 yrs old. My Life Is Average.

I am eating Red Baron Zah and Food Lion Hotwingz...and miller high life.

word.

I think that's great El Stormo. That's a sign of a healthy person actually if you didn't know. You should focus on that, but don't focus too hard to where it'll make you crazy...Don't put too much on yourself to be this amazing purveyor of integrity and righteousness. I think some of the reasons you stated on why you act a certain way can be applied to alot of people here, actually. I frequently get the feeling that everyone just thinks so highly of themselves...I want to laugh out loud when they talk about "being human" and a great person and what not.

I think that's great El Stormo. That's a sign of a healthy person actually if you didn't know. You should focus on that, but don't focus too hard to where it'll make you crazy...Don't put too much on yourself to be this amazing purveyor of integrity and righteousness. I think some of the reasons you stated on why you act a certain way can be applied to alot of people here, actually. I frequently get the feeling that everyone just thinks so highly of themselves...I want to laugh out loud when they talk about "being human" and a great person and what not.
You're right, thanks :)

My mom came in a while ago saying that she had something for me...turned out to be a pair of infant girls boots...she said she hoped she wasnt rushing me and my fiance. for those of you who dont know...I'm 20 yrs old. My Life Is Average.

I am eating Red Baron Zah and Food Lion Hotwingz...and miller high life.

word.

married at 20? damn that's pretty intense; congrats if that's what works for you. i couldn't imagine getting married before 30 but then again i'm odd.