say something about ... yourself!

It has nothing to do with sleeping or staying awake...well, not the action of doing either, rather. It works to stay awake as long as you can because you'll only sleep 9-10 hours, maybe 12 hours, and by that time the alcohol will have already passed through your system. If you go to sleep immediately after getting hammered, the alcohol is still in your system. By not passing out, you're getting a head start on processing and expelling the alcohol, by drinking water you're keeping your body hydrated because alcohol dehydrates you (and that's basically what a hangover is), and by going to sleep as late as you can while doing all of the above, you insure that by the time you wake up you'll already be fully hydrated and will have processed and passed all the alcohol in your system...hence, no hangover.

by drinking water you're keeping your body hydrated because alcohol dehydrates you (and that's basically what a hangover is)

That's just one reason for a hangover, there are actually 3 more as far as I know:

-the destruction of proteins in your brain
-the lack of water follows also a lack of dietary minerals and glucose
and
-the intercalation of toxic acetaldehydes (which are found especially in cheap wines)

Actually all alcohol is broken down metabolically into acetaldehyde as one of the steps during its elimination. If you're drinking too much then the breakdown of alcohol can't keep up with the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme kinetics and you get the toxic buildup of acetaldehyde. Cheap wine would speed that accumulation up though I suppose, as they're not given time to age so still have a high level of acetaldehyde.

Actually all alcohol is broken down metabolically into acetaldehyde as one of the steps during its elimination. If you're drinking too much then the breakdown of alcohol can't keep up with the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme kinetics and you get the toxic buildup of acetaldehyde. Cheap wine would speed that accumulation up though I suppose, as they're not given time to age so still have a high level of acetaldehyde.

Isn't just ethanol broken down to acetaldehyde? Cheap wine also contains other alcohols, which I actually ment in the first place, whose decay product are causing the hangover. (So I was wrong in my first post, sorry, I'm running a bit against the language barrier right now)

It's just a general alcohol metabolic pathway. Pretty sure you're right about the cheap wine thing though, it wasn't something that I had ever thought of before but I've recently been learning details of beer brewing science and all I know so far is that acetaldehyde is also produced by yeast in fermentation but over time is broken down as well, so I just took a random guess at the source.

edit:
emot-science.gif
pro-tip: Asians get red faces when they drink due to a mutation which causes a acetaldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency resulting in excess buildup of acetaldehyde

Sitting on my new balcony, enjoying the night time view with a bowl and a Racer 5 and my laptop and some tunes. I think this place is going to work out splendidly :)

It's just a general alcohol metabolic pathway. Pretty sure you're right about the cheap wine thing though, it wasn't something that I had ever thought of before but I've recently been learning details of beer brewing science and all I know so far is that acetaldehyde is also produced by yeast in fermentation but over time is broken down as well, so I just took a random guess at the source.

edit:
emot-science.gif
pro-tip: Asians get red faces when they drink due to a mutation which causes a acetaldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency resulting in excess buildup of acetaldehyde

yep, that's the vasodilating effect of alcohol, just a lot more noticeable in asians.

You pulled a me...

7N487.jpg

About to go to my grandfather's visitation at the funeral home. He'd been in really bad shape since May and finally passed away last week. Sucks, but it's definitely a relief for him and the family.

Also, almost walked right into this guy the other day, eeeeeeeeeeeep!

314604_10150468291093998_743498997_11001828_1133345513_n.jpg

http://www.cracked.com/article_1946...ues-that-are-about-to-make-life-creepier.html

this is the kind of stuff i think about and dread every day, and pretty much why i love sci-fi and have a morbid fascination with our doomed future. basically all my sci-fi nightmares are coming true and i can't even imagine how fucked up the future will be when advertisements and government watching is so functional that we're all basically a 100% open book with no privacy. really fun and interesting article, in a morbid and dystopian kinda way.