say something about ... yourself!

You can try it for free to see if it is worth your money. Whether donating for open source or paying for commercial, the equation is still good product = consumer dollars.

But sure, Open Office is a free (bloated, Sun infested piece of shit, less functional than MS Office which ought to be impossible) software package.

Less functional you say? What, did you use it once? Or did you listen to someone else talk about it?

The point of FOSS vs closed source/proprietary is that you can force changes through donations, whereas proprietary companies don't really care, except in rare occasions. If a FOSS developer decides not to listen to input, his funding is going to disappear because users had to fix it themselves if they want it done, whereas MS or "insert here" will likely ONLY listen to the biggest pocketbook. And you're not allowed to fix what they broke, due to IP laws.

Less functional you say? What, did you use it once? Or did you listen to someone else talk about it?

The point of FOSS vs closed source/proprietary is that you can force changes through donations, whereas proprietary companies don't really care, except in rare occasions. If a FOSS developer decides not to listen to input, his funding is going to disappear because users had to fix it themselves if they want it done, whereas MS or "insert here" will likely ONLY listen to the biggest pocketbook. And you're not allowed to fix what they broke, due to IP laws.

I used it for a year when I didn't have access to MS Office through work.

I know the arguments for open source, and I do and will continue to use open source and donate when appropriate, however that has nothing to do with me paying for proprietary software I think is worthwhile, especially when I find the open source alternatives lacking. I could donate and hope the FOSS developers improve their product, or I could buy something that I know works now.