say something about ... yourself!

Such is the justification of every single other person in the general vicinity as well. Your short, simple answer exemplifies and proves the entire problem.
no, it's just common sense.

i can't hold up a motorcycle while a guy crawls out from under it. i can't overpower some thug who's attacking another woman. i can't even change a tire, for christ's sake. i know i would just be in the way if i tried to help, so the best thing that i could do in a situation like that is just get the fuck out of the way of people who can actually do something

Not really a problem, more just information to file away. Don't expect anyone to come to your aid, so be prepared to handle things yourself.
Not really a problem? Tell me that when you're the guy with his leg trapped under a car or getting stabbed up and raped in an apartment complex with people everywhere that aren't doing anything but watching.

However, I agree with your second sentence 100%. Best to keep that kind of stuff in the back of your mind so that at least someone is somewhat prepared to deal with the situation.

no, it's just common sense.

i can't hold up a motorcycle while a guy crawls out from under it. i can't overpower some thug who's attacking another woman. i can't even change a tire, for christ's sake. i know i would just be in the way if i tried to help, so the best thing that i could do in a situation like that is just get the fuck out of the way of people who can actually do something
It's common sense to avoid helping someone that needs help? You're implying that you couldn't or wouldn't even call the police from your cell phone if you saw a woman getting attacked by a thug?

You couldn't ask someone else that was nearby that was bigger and stronger to possibly help lift a motorcycle off a guy's leg? You'd SERIOUSLY just walk away from a guy that couldn't help himself without doing anything? That's really sad, sorry to say.

Come on Will, hurry up. I gotta leave the internet for a while and I won't give a fuck by the time I get back!

I'm not going to endanger myself to help someone I don't know without any kind of compensation. If I knew that I could help the situation without getting hurt, myself, I would. I'm #1 in my eyes.

"YOU'RE A SELFISH PIECE OF SHIT!"

Yes... But then again, that's why I want to join the Navy. I'll ultimately be able to help people WHILE being compensated.

Nice job ignoring me, by the way. :wave:

It's common sense to avoid helping someone that needs help? You're implying that you couldn't or wouldn't even call the police from your cell phone if you saw a woman getting attacked by a thug?

You couldn't ask someone else that was nearby that was bigger and stronger to possibly help lift a motorcycle off a guy's leg? You'd SERIOUSLY just walk away from a guy that couldn't help himself without doing anything? That's really sad, sorry to say.
okay, sorry, i just thought you meant what i could do within my physical capabilities to help them directly. yes, cell phones, getting help, it's common sense. but if it's just me in the car stopped in traffic and there's a guy with a flat car or he's trapped under a car or something, i know that i cannot physically help him. if it's something i know i can actually help someone with, i will do anything i can for them. hell, i hold doors open for strangers and automatically go to pick stuff up if someone near me drops something

and hell, on the flipside of that whole roadside trouble thing, if i am alone, just driving at night or something, how can i know that the guy stopped on the side looking like he has a flat tire isn't just waiting for some unaccompanied woman to stop and help him so he can fucking knock her out and throw her in his car? christ, anyone can buy a police uniform and siren - who knows how many people are attacked by people under the guise of policemen.

edit: bitch, i do volunteer work! :lol:

been thinking about taking some time off work, before i (potentially) start school again, and going back to the stuff.

I agree with you Kevin. Sometimes even if you don't think you can do much, it's better to try, and maybe someone will see you trying to help, and come out to offer a hand as well.

As far as the guy not saying thank you, your right he was probably in a haze. When I was in a real bad car accident years ago, I was fine physical, but I hit my head so hard I needed help out of the car by the paramedic, because I was just sitting in the car, like DUH! I was knocked out and just snapped out of it as well, it was like I didn't know where I was for a minute anymore. Then the embarrassment set in, which was a little odd. I had to have him help get my contact lenses out for me, because my eye was already swelling up. LOL! I felt like a truck ran over me the next day and was bruised everywhere!

But, sometimes is that you have helped that makes a difference, not that you can.

We watched a 2.5 hour movie on the presidency of JFK. I know they didn't really need to cover it, but I was a little offed when they spent more time on his affairs than they did on his assassination (or the mystery around it). So I had a nice long conversation with my dad again on the conspiracy theories. And that's why I love my dad. :)