say something about ... yourself!

Well, I really do have GAD. I've had it since I was a small child. It's a problem with my adrenal glands that cause me to have constant stress in my stomach every waking second of my life.

See, that's a little too easy to handle. I have Specialized Anxiety Disorder, where I'm completely fine unless I'm thinking about having flaming rabbits thrown at me.

Jeff

It was a joke. Have a lollipop.

lollipop-kids-drum.jpg

I had a brief episode with that sort of thing, but mine worked itself out on its own. It didn't go down without a fight, though...

Jeff

conquer it

I know you were asking him a different question, but perhaps you just said it. For me, when I get a feeling like that, it becomes increasingly easier for me to use that as sort of a push. If you get that constantly, I could only imagine how well you would be with Martial Arts. Maybe that's a discipline you can use to embrace what you have?

That's what I mean. You, individually, could transform a discipline like that (Not even martial arts, it could be yoga or whatever) into something else for the betterment of yourself. Something you could embrace as part of your life that aids with that. I never asked before if it actually was more a bother than a good thing but if it's the former, I think it's worth a look into, no?

How did you conquer it?

I've always had stress issues and over time the manifestations just change. Right before the anxiety and panic attacks I was just unusually hostile and didn't do much of anything but math and music, and eventually I just started getting paranoid about the stress giving me more serious health issues... one thing led to another and I just wound up having serious panic attacks. I'm not sure what changed a few months after that, although I suspect that I was just more challenged and engaged in studies, but a short while later the panic attacks went away and I just went back to being hostile and unapproachable.

The way I deal with stress changes with time and I don't think I have much control over it, although a good round of screaming at walls, playing guitar, and solving math problems cools me down most of the time. When things get really bad I just get strange, barely controllable urges - I'll find it very hard to hold back from punching someone I suspect to be thinking about fruit, or I'll have to throw paper airplanes with fortunes of impending doom off a roof, things like that - and at that point I just give in to whichever ones seem less harmful to my future as a graduate student. Fortunately, I usually get away with most things without problems, like posting nonsense messages on my office door and bulletin boards or the occasional Airsoft war in the hallways. There are advantages to being clearly marked as "oddball", but unfortunately qualifications have to outweigh eccentricities or nobody puts up with shit... yet another good reason to go to college.

If you have an actual physical condition that causes problems I really don't think our situations compare much, since mine just comes from being obsessive about a few things (math) and not wanting to deal with anything else (food, sleep, jobs, behaving appropriately) because it's not worth the time. That's probably something you should talk to a proper doctor (endocrinologists, I think they're called, deal with that kind of thing) about, since adrenaline isn't healthy for a lot of things.

Jeff

I saw Twilight yesterday... I laughed during the whole movie with my friends... That was like wtf.. I'm sure that this movie is a fantaisie of someone geek who cannot have sex with an human.. hmm I understand myself :p