Schecter Loomis Tone

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
Several guys here have mentioned that they are not happy with the tone on their Loomis Schecters. I am not sure if it is a conspiracy or not.

Anyway, I was recording some shit with my Loomis the other day and I noticed it sounded like shit because I hadn't really warmed up and was playing like a pussy. It occurred to me maybe that is the problem some of you forumers are having. Are you crushing the strings when you pick? If you are not sure then you probably are not doing it. The tone that comes out of that thing is golden if you destroy the strings. So my suggestion is: destroy the strings when you pick if you have Loomis Schecter and you will sound better.

I think part of the issue is that (IME) ash differs a lot more piece to piece than mahogany (or alder or basswood). Some pieces are really bright, others really boomy and everything in between. This is the sort of thing good luthiers can sort out by selecting the piece for the tone you want. OTOH an off the pile mass made instrument is going to vary wildly so you have to choose wisely which is tough if there's only one in the shop or you're ordering online.

....Or it may be a false flag and we have ESP plants in this forum trying to undermine confidence in Schecter. I'm kidding of course, but OTOH gearslutz is filled with dealers who'd love to convince you Neumanns sound bad and something with a lower price tag (and higher markup) is better.

I guess at a certain price threshold you assume they're of good quality, but I guess I just always assumed "signature series" guitars were overpriced so gullible people would buy them and the company would make money off the artist's name. I'm sure that isn't true all the time, but if you gave me the choice between buying a really nice Schecter and a really nice Schecter with Jeff Loomis' name on it, I'd take the former over the latter almost any day of the week.

I like the loomis but they are usually too dark sounding for my taste. Too bad they don't make hellraisers extremes on 7 strings for production, that shit would be epic. The 707's on the loomis suck ass, get a 81-7 or blackouts if you haven't already.

Its most likely the EMG 707s. They get very muddy and fizzy when you apply gain as oppose to an 81/85 which thickens up when you apply gain so they take a lot of EQing. EMG really dropped the ball on them IMO.

Everyone loves a tight bottom end.
if-you-know-what-i-mean-mr-bean-rage-face-jas-fasola-podtekst-erotyczny-mem-oryginal.png

....Or it may be a false flag and we have ESP plants in this forum trying to undermine confidence in Schecter.
Fun fact: The same parent company actually owns both Schecter and ESP. Both LTD Deluxes and the higher-end Schecters are made in the same factory in Korea (World Instruments). :)

Fun fact: The same parent company actually owns both Schecter and ESP. Both LTD Deluxes and the higher-end Schecters are made in the same factory in Korea (World Instruments). :)

That's incorrect. LTD owns ESP and Schecter and they are all owned by Ibanez.

Well Loomis has great finger tone and a picking hand hammer fist so and is impeccable at low noise high gain fast rhythm/lead, my friend went to see a clinic and his Powerball was on like gain 9 which is way OTT for any high gain amp and everything else on half, so if you have that amount of control thats a start,

some part of me feels like that the only thing that works with this guitar which is fat as fuck (they are overly chunky in general) and EMG's woofiest fizzies pickups, the 707's ... are ENGL amps which he uses, so you've got the muddy low mid darkness and fizz from the guitar and the kind of pronounced high mids and super tight bottom end of the ENGL working together.

The guitar would sound liek deth through a Mesa I imagine.

I have a loomis model, I really like it, I did find it to be a little harsh with higher gain settings. However, when I turn down the gainon the amp and boost with a tube screamer it makes a world of difference with the muddiness of the pickups.

I don't think that's right... LTD is a sub brand of ESP from the 90s and the owner of ESP did buy Schecter but I don't think any of them are owned by Ibanez which is owned by a different Japanese conglomerate that owns Tama. (Just sayin.)

I was being sarcastic to the guy who didn't get the sarcasm of the other guy.

I did get the sarcasm, just felt like it was the time to get all nerdy. Guess not. :(

Ah ok. Actually I didn't notice he edited his post adding that he was kidding so when I read your response, totally sounded like you didn't get the joke. Yeah I have no life...

I have the JLV-7.

I like the tone for the most part, BUT - there's this ultra high end, 'clacky' sort of element that cuts through everything and sits on top which is fucking annoying.
When I say "cuts through", it's like the gain structure of my EVH, plugs ins or any distortion doesn't really catch and compress it.
It's almost like the strings have been mic'd, high passed and mixed in. (It's more like a notch eq boost actually)

I don't know which part of the equation is bringing this to the mix- Could be the bright neck, direct p/u to output (no tone control) and the 707 pick up itself.. or all of the above.
Each of those factors are new to me. ie never had a maple finger board, never had a guitar with no tone control (not that I ever used it but apparently just being there can make a difference) and never had a 707, had a 81-7 ..and I have a direct comparison with PODxt patches that sounded good with basswood/rosewood/81-7 schecter that are total anus with this JLV

Seriously. Do it. It kills off the shrill top and brings out the mids. Chords ring out much clearer and defined. It definitely improves the sound of the guitar. Especially when you're plugged in to an unforgiving amp like the Mark V.

Regarding the 707, i used to have a Jackson COW 7( that comes with a 707) , never liked the sound of it, there was this weird clacky noise that once you "hear it" it's get more annoying everyday. I Replaced the 707 with a 81-7 and problem solved. Tight and defined without this singlecoil type of sound. The 707 is indeed a really weird pickup that need to be putted on the right guitar with the right player.