Schecter Loomis Tone

Nice, Rex, bringer of good news. We need to put an end to this conspiracy genius.

Edit...

Bollocks. A quick google has pissed on my quick connect bonfire it seems.

Edit...

Hurrah! I took one out, and was pleased to find quick connect goodness. Should be the easiest pickup change of my life! Reckon its worth replacing the neck for a 60?

I was thinking about sticking a set of white ones in. It would look pretty freaky. Any love for white? I have love for white at $130 for the set lol

Seriously. Do it. It kills off the shrill top and brings out the mids. Chords ring out much clearer and defined. It definitely improves the sound of the guitar. Especially when you're plugged in to an unforgiving amp like the Mark V.

What this man says.

I was on the verge of ditching my 81 before going the 18volt route. Really eases up the transients, gets rid of the mid-range honk we get from chugs.

Hey, bringing this back to life.. Lately I've really been contemplating on replacing the pickups on my Loomis or just plain selling it. I removed the 18V mod because it was making the pickups sound a little less defined, though it took away the shrillness to an extent, It took away a little too much of the clarity. I'm wondering if just adding a tone pot to this thing and tucking it inside the cavity would make a difference on the tone? I found it strange that I picked up a Fender Mex strat for $250, threw my old D-sonic in there and it fucking decimated the Loomis tone. Any suggestions on wiring a tone control, pickup suggestions, etc. I know I defended it with the 18V mod, but it was the only working guitar I had at the time.

I've owned a Loomis for around 4 or 5 years and I've always loved how it sounded. Similarly, I've owned a C7 Hellraiser for around 1 year longer than I've had the Loomis, and I've always enjoyed it, too.

I bought the Loomis used and it had some SD blackouts in it - something I thought I wanted. The clarity of the guitar in general prompted me to swap the 81-7 and 60-7 out of my hellraiser and put blackouts in it. Soon after doing so, I put the EMGs back in it, and then got rid of the blackouts in my Loomis for a set of 707s again.

I don't mind the 707s at all. The ash is a brighter wood than mahogany so the darkness and sort of hollow sound of the 707s is great for what I do, and it helps give the guitar a very percussive quality and really thumps when I play it hard. I find the somewhat fizzy highs can really help me cut through a band situation, and help a tone cut through in a recording situation, but honestly, I'm nowhere near as experienced with the recording stuff as many of you here.

Both of my schecters are running at 18v and it certainly adds a little to the dynamics, and opens the guitars up in a way that I enjoy and suits the music I play very well. As has been said a lot by people in here, though, when it comes to articulation, definition, and overall dynamics, a lot of it has to do with your hands, particularly in your muting and pick attack styles. Muting the strings a certain way can really make them thump.

For what it's worth, I've regularly run both of my schecters through any combination of the following...3 channel dual recto, 6505+, 1960a cab, mesa traditional cab. ALWAYS with an ISP Decimator and a ZW-44 overdrive pedal (although I recently sold the 6505+ and 1960a cab).

Because mesas are kind of weird amps to EQ to begin with, I found the boost absolutely essential, so I could turn the gain down on the amp. There is a fine line between enough gain to make the guitar sing and thump the way you want it to, and having far too much fizz and no definition. The presence knob on channel 2 while in modern/bold/diodes can really make a difference to how the guitar sounds, and it's a control I frequently play with when going between guitars.

I'll be tracking for my band's album in the coming months and I'm considering swapping the 81-7 out of my hellraiser for a 707 in the bridge of my Loomis, just to see how it sounds. Part of me thinks it'll be great because the extra definition could really come in handy for death metal, but I think there is every chance it could end up being too bright, and when recording, it's easy to get away with a darker tone and let the mix speak for itself, than it is to cut through in a live situation (in my opinion).

Anyway, for those interested, here is a song I recorded with my Loomis a few years ago. It's the last song I wrote for my band and it'll be getting recorded on the album. Both tracks are the same song with the same tracks, but they have different recabinet settings. I was thinking very much DHIADW when I recorded these tones, and funnily enough, the darker, less fizzy tone that I think is more towards the DHIADW sound is actually a recto cab in recabinet 3. Anyway, have a bit of a listen. I'm not engineer at all and it's certainly not perfect, but I think the tone is quite good for someone with my lack of experience.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1044020/Epic recto win 3.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1044020/Epic recto win 4.mp3

That's a nice tone, and I can definitely hear some subtle differences in the articulation, particularly in those single note runs.

I think putting an 81-7 in my Loomis is a totally good idea now.

I highly recommend Lundgren M7Cs. They sound absolutely fantastic in my Loomis!

1381547_10151972580693987_711990316_n.jpg

I highly recommend Lundgren M7Cs. They sound absolutely fantastic in my Loomis!

1381547_10151972580693987_711990316_n.jpg

Tell me more! :yow: Any sound clips?

They are very expensive and I'll have a hard tome cinvincing myself to buy them when I could just replace my bridge with an EMG 81-7.

Does anyone have experience with the EMG X pickups in this guitar?

They're expensive, yes. But imo worth every penny! I just uploaded a video of a song that was recorded using this guitar/pickup combo. Can give you an idea of the sound of them.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, mate. That sounds cool. I'm not sure I'll drop the cash anytime soon but it's definitely something to think about.
For now, I'll just swap the 707 with an 81-7 out of my hellraiser and see how it sounds.

I'll give this a bit of a bump, for those interested...

I don't have any recordings, but I swapped the 707 in my Loomis for an 81-7 the other day. I've been jamming it a little and it sounds great, but I'm not sure the difference is really big enough to justify the effort. I think the 707 lacking in highs helps the mids of the Loomis come through a bit more, as the ash body has a very different tone to the mahogany of my hellraiser. I'll jam it for a while and then swap the 707 back in and put the 81-7 back in my hellraiser and see how I go. I'll need to make a call soon because I'll be recording.

Either way, it sounds good.

Bump time.
I'm looking to move on to a higher calibre of guitar in a few months when I can make up the funds.
I have been using an Ibanez RG350EX with EMGs 81/85 tuned down to A#. Eventually got into seven strings and got an Ibanez RG7321 with EMGs 81-7/707 and loved it. I've been having intonation issues with it for the last couple years now and want to move onto something bigger and better.
I've had my eye on the new 2014 Loomis model (neck-through), just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it and what they think to it. I'm hoping to visit a shop near me that might have one in and try it out.
The new model has a swamp ash body and a thinner neck. And also has EMGs 57/66.

I have an Ibanez Prestige RG2627ZE that has literally been the best guitar I've ever purchased. I did not even need to touch it from a set up standpoint, and I'm insane when it comes to the setups on my guitars.

I have 2 Ibanez Prestige RGD RGD2127Z guitars. One with Dimarzio pickups installed and the other I had the body routed to fit EMG 57-7 and 66-7 pickups in it. At the time when I received the newly outfitted RGD with the new EMG pickups, I thought I had found "my tone" finally. But since then, I really don't find a huge drastic difference between the 57-7, 66-7 and the 707s. I've actually come to prefer the 707s on the RG2627ZE I think more than the 57-7, 66-7 pickups due to the slightly more compressed sound from the 707s.

By the way... I'll also mention this, I purchased an ESP LTD guitar that was outfitted with EMG 707s and I hated it. I ended up selling it. Looking back, that guitar sounded nothing like my Ibanez with 707s. It was horrible. I remember it lacked serious output even compared to my passive pickup guitars. Point being... I think some pickups or electronics might be defective or not installed properly.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 707 or the newer 57-7/66-7 pickups. It all depends on slight variations between them. The more important thing is make sure everything is installed properly.

Bump time.
I'm looking to move on to a higher calibre of guitar in a few months when I can make up the funds.
I have been using an Ibanez RG350EX with EMGs 81/85 tuned down to A#. Eventually got into seven strings and got an Ibanez RG7321 with EMGs 81-7/707 and loved it. I've been having intonation issues with it for the last couple years now and want to move onto something bigger and better.
I've had my eye on the new 2014 Loomis model (neck-through), just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it and what they think to it. I'm hoping to visit a shop near me that might have one in and try it out.
The new model has a swamp ash body and a thinner neck. And also has EMGs 57/66.

I just got a new 2014 Loomis (black hardtail) about 3 weeks ago. Incredible guitar and good value for the money. I'd put it against any Ibanez Prestige any day. Also, just so you know, it's not a neck-thru. It's a set neck.

I can't compare it to the older Loomis (never played one) but here are my thoughts:

The neck is really comfortable. Thin, but not flat. The fingerboard edges are rounded which is something I really like. The fretwork was great- no sharp edges off the fretboard. I get seriously low action on it. The stainless frets are really nice. Very smooth on bends.

The best part (in my opinion) is the pickups. The 57/66, to my ears, seem very different than most other EMGs. In fact, if you're someone who typically likes 707s, 81s, etc. you may not like them. They're still hot (very hot, actually) but very dynamic. They really respond well to the player's touch and volume knob changes. They seem fuller in the mids (in a good way) compared to say, an 81-7 or 707. Still tight in the lows and not harsh in the highs. I've always been a passive PU type of guy but these just might be my new favorite pickups. Very versatile tone with these PUs.

I have a Kemper and this guitar sounds great regardless of the profile I'm using. That says a lot because it seems like other 7-string guitars I've had sound good through certain types of amps and like crap with others.

I really can't say anthing bad about it. The pickup selector switch is very close to the right hand, which might bother some people. Personally, I like it, but I could see where if your style involves a lot of right hand movement you could accidentally hit it. Also, some people prefer the vol knob closer to the hand, others prefer the switch. I wouldn't mind if it had included a tone control, even though I'd probably rarely use it.