Seen this Textures guitar video?

Excellent! This is a great example of ideal metal rhythm guitar playing - this is how it should be done!!

I will add that no producer/engineer should bother putting much time or effort into trying to get an "amazing" sound out of a guitarist's DI tracks unless they at least come close to this level of accuracy and consistency. Instead, put that time into the rest of the mix, so you can at least try to make up for it with the bass and drums. I've learned this lesson the hard way in years past, trying to make really weak DIs sound huge for an artist - waste of time.

Anyone have issues with being able to pick all 3 strings on the 3-1 riff that he demonstrates (riff starts at 4:27 on the studio album version of the song)?
I can play the Bleed opening riff (albeit not at full speed for long periods, usually slow down the song in a DAW so I can play the riff for longer periods without being totally sloppy and having my arm cramp up) which is the same rhythmic pattern, but on one string.
When I try to do this same rhythmic pattern on a 3 string power chord, I can usually get the 5th of the root, but can barely seem to pick the octave note (the string/fret your pinky is holding down).
Do I just suck? :erk:

Anyone have issues with being able to pick all 3 strings on the 3-1 riff that he demonstrates (riff starts at 4:27 on the studio album version of the song)?
I can play the Bleed opening riff (albeit not at full speed for long periods, usually slow down the song in a DAW so I can play the riff for longer periods without being totally sloppy and having my arm cramp up) which is the same rhythmic pattern, but on one string.
When I try to do this same rhythmic pattern on a 3 string power chord, I can usually get the 5th of the root, but can barely seem to pick the octave note (the string/fret your pinky is holding down).

You should try play some black metal stuff. Play 3 string chords tremolo and you'll be fine after 2 weeks. It will make you pick harder in general as well.

^Ohh, I got no issues with the picking hard part. Plenty of time playing Metallica and Megadeth has sorted that out, easily.
Guess I'll just try some more simple rhythmic patterns with 3 string trem picking, then onto the 3-1 "Old Days Born Anew" riff.
The same riff features in Gojira's "Esoteric Surgery", although one semi tone higher. That's where I also noticed I had trouble doing it across 3 strings.

Nice! I love his hard picking, and how he plays everything in downstrokes if possible. I didnt play guitar in a year, but getting home next saturday. Really looking forward to it :D

I don't feel there is a big difference in sound between picking 2 or 3 strings when playing fast muted powerchords.
I just play two strings with the left hand but still fret the third string. You'll hit it anyways.

It depends entirely on if you are playing downstrokes or upstrokes. ;)

^^Yeah, because Textures are totally trite and boring and unoriginal.

Please, post better.

They are?

Nah I'm just fuckin' with ya. Although that post is doing kinda the exact same thing you were bitchin' me out for doing just the other night on msn ;)

Have you tried holding your pick differently? i find it better if it's like.. not far from the whole hand, and it's the thumb that controlls it's movement now that i think about it, it kind'a carries the weight of the strums, I can play bleed @ full speed or faster ;D but if i go for the same speed with the 3 notes of the chord, no way, the slopiness is very... sloppy. I'd have to practice a bit i guess like Ola says

Might not be to everyone's taste but the man can sure play!

Strange, that sort of stuff is very reminiscent I used to mess around with a few years ago with my band but we never really took anywhere.

Thanks, man. I love this band. Just got the polars cd (again) yesterday.

As far as these vids go, I wanted to bring something up about the triplet/one picking pattern ( as heard mainly in the end of the first vid or in "Bleed" by Meshuggah)

As a drummer, insted of a constant right foot down beat (or down-strokes for the guitarist) with a single up-stoke for the triplet:

example

down up down down (repeat)

or on the kick: RLR R

I play the pattern: RLR L

With the speed of "Bleed" it makes the most sense on drums to use this method because its the best way to have an equal amount of energy used by both legs.

What I'm wondering from a guitar perspective is, do you guys use this method? Triplet and a up stroke, once the tempo becomes too high?

Does this make sense?

it makes sense, for bleed i do DUD U DUD U DUD (down up down, up, down up down...). I've just discovered the secret message on bleed.DUD U DUD U DUD Dude you dude you dude! after a little practice, it's almost a reflex, and there's certainly lots of harder shreds. Oh and btw, it's not mechanic as many vids you see on youtube, you've gotta follow the tempo of the "lower" tempo, not the killer speed of the "underlaying tempo layer" if you know what i mean, i found that following the "slow" tempo (snare and... china or crash whatever) with the shredding, it's a LOT easier, has a LOT more sense, and it plays tight as fuck. For srsly. ha