Sell gibson and get a hellraiser?

Never really considered a Hellraiser "thin" sounding. But would certainly consider a Blue Voodoo "thin" as well as a JSX if you're not careful.

Yeah I hear ya man, i've played them before with my own guitars and thought so, but I'm also talking about how the guitars sound to me unplugged, I didn't like the hellraiser or the h-1001 or the ltd standard series one. I think i just didn't like the sounds of the wood.

Whoever started the bullshit about actives sounding the same with every guitar is a complete fucking moron and should be shot. The sound differences between instruments was so obvious that the only reason for them to sound the same were if you were deaf. The 81 colored the tone a lot less than most of the passives I've tried... I'm starting to think that people who complain about lifeless sterility in the emgs are LOOKING for the different colorations and degrees of responsiveness you can get from picking different passives.

Thank fucking fuckety fuck I'm not the only one who thinks that... win. Great post.

Jeff

to be honest i have an issue with the make of a schecter

ive had a les paul before, but they are quite possibly the most overrated guitars ever, i hated mine

but schecters are cheap for a reason, they have beautiful finishes and whatnot, but the tuning keys have always givin me trouble and im just not a fan of the way they feel

now, if you really like schecters, by all means trade your paul in for one because i would rather play just about any superstrat over the paul.

but if you want to know what i would substitute for that, you can find an amazing deal on an ESP LTD that's actually neckthru, and not set-neck like the hellraiser, and those guitars are very good for what you would be getting out of the price ofr a hellraiser.

i may have an alright attitude towards cheaper guitars, but for the most part all i buy is high-class, expensive shred guitars that are neckthru and have decent tremolos

im guessing you might not be a fan of ibanez? they have some neckthru rg series guitars that are mahogany and not expensive. and the wizard contour is one of my fav neck contours

Erm... my Schecter, and most that I've played, use Grovers. If that's the worst you can say about them, they're doing fucking great. Lots of guitars are cheaper... including more than a few Ibanez guitars.

I prefer Schecters by a long shot, no doubt... but I also own an RG550 that's older than I am. I think literally everything about my Schecter is better. Also, I'd like to know which ones are 'not expensive' and also neck-through.

Finally, ESP=Schecter so you've made a proper fool of yourself there. Set and neck through are a matter of personal taste, but build quality from the same companies and factories... whoops, looks like you don't know a whole hell of a lot about what you're talking about.

Jeff

Erm... my Schecter, and most that I've played, use Grovers. If that's the worst you can say about them, they're doing fucking great. Lots of guitars are cheaper... including more than a few Ibanez guitars.

I prefer Schecters by a long shot, no doubt... but I also own an RG550 that's older than I am. I think literally everything about my Schecter is better. Also, I'd like to know which ones are 'not expensive' and also neck-through.

Finally, ESP=Schecter so you've made a proper fool of yourself there. Set and neck through are a matter of personal taste, but build quality from the same companies and factories... whoops, looks like you don't know a whole hell of a lot about what you're talking about.

Jeff

Pwnt and +10000.

~006

Yeah, neck-thru is by no means the "better" choice necessarily; in fact, I prefer set neck, because I generally like maple necks, but a maple neck-thru body is gonna be a maple body core with mahogany wings glued on - in other words, SUPER BRIGHT (I know, I own one). And Grovers aren't the best (Sperzel or Schaller get that honor from me), but I have 'em on my LTD EC-400 and I'm constantly amazed even after 3 years at how well that thing stays in tune.

Jeff

I have no idea what I'm talking about?

ok, well...

Schector is NOT an ESP company.

ESP, LTD, Edwards, and Grass Roots are, but Schecter is not

"In 1987, the Texan investors sold the company to Hisatake Shibuya, a Japanese entrepreneur who also owned the Musicians Institute in Hollywood and ESP Guitars (Schecter Guitar Research and ESP Guitars have remained to this day separate entities)." - Guitar World, Issue: September, 2006

and hilariously enough, Schecter states most emphathetically on their website that they are NOT associated with ESP in any way, shape, or form except sharing some distribution facilities in Japan.

next,

Inexpensive neckthrough RG:

http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=400&uid=625085015

a nice mahogany neckthru rg for around $700 negotiable

and on top of your "my schecter owns my ibanez" the Rg550s were relatively inexpensive non-prestige RGs that lacked an AANJ and were the first models of RGs ever produced (1987). I wouldn't say the RG550 represent a modern Ibanez RG

to be honest the c-1 classic is the one i had tuning problems with, and it's a rather expensive, tho not the best schecter around.

and for that matter, Schecter does not make a single guitar over $1000

any schecter you throw at me could not rival an Ibanez J. Custom nor any other non-bullshit guitar company

and now with all of this stated, have anything else to add? :heh:

and now with all of this stated, have anything else to add? :heh:

Yeah, I hope you're wearing some armor plate on your ass because JBroll is about to jam his foot up it. :)

Seriously though, can someone clue me in here.... Don't ESP & Schecter come out of the same Korean manufacturing facility?

As for the whole Ibanez vs Schecter thing.... It depends on your application: If you're after "heavy as fuck" rhythm tone, go with Schecter & stay the hell away from anything with a tremolo on it (including Schecters). Adding a literal spring reverb onto your guitar for rhythm tone is counter-productive. Not to mention tuning & intonation issues when palm-muting.
resize

This is NFG for rhythms, but probably fine for leads.

Ibanez.... well, you're going to be spending some serious cash to get a good one. I'm not a fan of the basswood ones, that's for sure. They're great playing instruments & fine for leads, but I've yet to have one come in that we were able to get something truly crushing out of.

Yeah, I hope you're wearing some armor plate on your ass because JBroll is about to jam his foot up it. :)

Seriously though, can someone clue me in here.... Don't ESP & Schecter come out of the same Korean manufacturing facility?

As for the whole Ibanez vs Schecter thing.... It depends on your application: If you're after "heavy as fuck" rhythm tone, go with Schecter & stay the hell away from anything with a tremolo on it (including Schecters). Adding a literal spring reverb onto your guitar for rhythm tone is counter-productive. Not to mention tuning & intonation issues when palm-muting.

Ibanez.... well, you're going to be spending some serious cash to get a good one. I'm not a fan of the basswood ones, that's for sure. They're great playing instruments & fine for leads, but I've yet to have one come in that we were able to get something truly crushing out of.

there are many mahogany rgs that have been released lately that arent even prestige

and many that are with gotoh fixed bridges, etc

they make a ton of basswood guitars yes, but thats not all that comes without the prestige build

and i dont know really how this got into a "fend for ibanez" convo, because i'm an ibanez fan, but it's not my fav. company. but i'd def choose any brick plywood ibanez put out over a schecter

a good tremolo won't change tuning when your palm is rested on it

Actually, yes it will. Even the best ones. I have several.
Tuning will go out just by microtones, .....and here's the rub: When you're quad tracking rhythm guitars, you need absolute, hyper-precise tuning. I much prefer a stop-tail for the application.

Again, leads, have at it. Whatever you like.

On another note, ask yourself why you joined this forum: To learn something, or to tell us we're all a bunch of idiots? Most of the guys on here are really cool & willing to share info. Just don't get too defensive when someone offers something that defies standard guitar-player-mag propaganda.

but i'd def choose any brick plywood ibanez put out over a schecter
While that's certainly your prerogative, for rhythms, it wouldn't be the wisest choice.

-0z-

Actually, yes it will. Even the best ones. I have several.
Tuning will go out just by microtones, .....and here's the rub: When you're quad tracking rhythm guitars, you need absolute, hyper-precise tuning. I much prefer a stop-tail for the application.

Again, leads, have at it. Whatever you like.

On another note, ask yourself why you joined this forum: To learn something, or to tell us we're all a bunch of idiots? Most of the guys on here are really cool & willing to share info. Just don't get too defensive when someone offers something that defies standard guitar-player-mag propaganda.

While that's certainly your prerogative, for rhythms, it wouldn't be the wisest choice.

-0z-

like i said, ibanez isnt always tremolo. they have plenty of guitars that have fixed bridges, so a guitar for those rhythms you speak of certainly exists in their output. which i understand the tremolo deal with quad tracking may cause a problem, tho i know of many melodeath albums quadtracked with tremolos and resulted with no problems

secondly, i didnt initially claim that anyone here was an idiot, i posted my two cents on this guy's thread, made some suggestions and personal opinions/experiences, and likewise got bashed by some schecter elitist with a goofy avatar

The biggest difference between Schecter and ESP is that your local dealer is likely to be able to stock Schecter stuff. And, for Schecter skeptics, Schecter has a custom shop that sells U.S. made guitars for loads of money--if you're into spending loads of money on something that sounds decent. I have found that the Korean manufacturing + careful US setup = a fine guitar. Then again, I guess I've been playing for 20 years, so WTF do I know?

As far as Gibson vs. Schecter, I'll start with tuners. Every Schecter I've played has Grover tuners, which hold tune really well. On the other hand Kluson...they should have the slogan "Kluson--you're in the ballpark". My main guitar for years has been a Gibson flying V. It was completely outmoded as a gigging guitar by a $400 Dean 79 reissue V (which came with Grovers) until I replaced the tuners with Grover locking tuners. It has been the paradigm for at least 20 years that you have to play a lot of Gibsons to find a good one, and that still seems to hold true. I can get a good tone out of a $300 Schecter. That's remarkable.

like i said, ibanez isnt always tremolo. they have plenty of guitars that have fixed bridges, so a guitar for those rhythms you speak of certainly exists in their output.

I certainly understand that & wasn't ignoring that point.

My point is, and maybe I should have explained this at the onset, is that in 10 years of professional recording, I haven't had too many Ibanez guitars come in that produced a satisfactory rhythm tone. But hey, never say never!

On another note: Has anyone tried Grover Locking Tuners on a Hellraiser? I'm thinking about trying them out & curious if anyone's had any luck with 'em.