Sell me on Reaper

I would guess he means doing destructive editing, as in gaining the audio file up and actually saving it within the file so that is not undoable next time you open it, and stuff like that. I've never needed to do things like that though when there is automation so... :)

I really hope Reaper doesn't crash with VSTi, I see no reason why it would, it's pretty stupid. I'm planning on using a mighty load of VSTi so.... well, I just hope it's not like that!

Yep, I'm using Wavosaur to do some undoable things in my tracks :devil:
Reaper rarelly crashed here, really rare to happen (and generally when it does I'm using like 36437612986 softwares running togheter). It sucks a bit for humanizing MIDI thou.
I use a external editor to edit fades and stuff, so I don't need to use a gate on my guitars... am I so n00bie that I've missed a internal editor in Reaper?
The ONE thing I miss in Reaper is: the freeze function... oh, how I wish...

Well I'm not sure what you mean by "internal editor," but you can trim/split regions, insert fades by clicking and dragging in the upper corners of regions (and get them in slip mode by holding shift, as I mentioned), and adjust the snap point, which is all I need!

Well I'm not sure what you mean by "internal editor," but you can trim/split regions, insert fades by clicking and dragging in the upper corners of regions (and get them in slip mode by holding shift, as I mentioned), and adjust the snap point, which is all I need!
I know and I use it too. I'm just used to take away noises, do more surgical fades and stuff with a editor say... like sound forge. Long before I record myself I did some audio editings. I must be used to it, like an adiction...

Okay, so I'm officially ready to jump ship from the Steinberg bandwagon and adopt a new DAW, provided the circumstances are right. I was waiting on some major overhauls on this software with version 5, but it seems all they've done is decrease stability and throw in a bunch of useless (to me) extensions, mainly relating to beat sequencing and programming.

I've spent too long wanting Cubase to behave like ProTools. I'm at a point where I realize I'm never going to enjoy the workflow in it at all.

What I'm after in a DAW is basically everything that ProTools is, minus the lack of ADC and reliance on the silly hardware dongles. I'm an RME user, and plan to keep it that way (their drivers are absolutely amazing...).

Does Reaper have a logical workflow like PT? Have they fixed the god-awful looking interface? Does it have a BD equivalent for drum editing? Can you route everything everywhere? Are there any major limitations? Is it stable? How are the keyboard shortcuts?

Please Reaper users, spew your propaganda forth and I'll actually listen for once!

That's the exact same thing I've been thinkin today. I bought a sound mag, that has a preview showcase for Cubase 5 and started reading. "You can do that kinda loops...blah blah blah...Groove Agent One is so cool ...blah blah... Pitch correction with vst3s...blah blah...Did we already mention loops.."

All bullshit. Just a bunch of toys for n00bs.

Still they're way behind of PT when it comes to editing.

There're only 2 things that can be helpful.

1. Channel Batch Export: Finally you can export all channels seperately at once. (it's about freakin time)

2. 64 bit support: Well, it's no improvement, it's a "must have" but since it'll take time to collect 1TBs of RAM, it's no biggie for me.

One thing that bugs me about editing in Reaper, though (and I'm sure it can be turned off, but I don't know how) - when editing two regions together, if you trim one over the other, rather than a straight overlap, it seems like it blends the two or something (I don't mean the auto-crossfade, but rather when you look it's like you can see both waveforms superimposed on one another, and sounds that way as well). How do I make it so dragging one region over another completely covers it?

Reaper crashed quite often last time I checked. MIDI editor is of no use when you know Cubase. I'd say if you have really busy sessions I wouldn't go the Reaper-way. Cubase isn't perfect yeah but way better than Reaper in terms of stability and reliable workflow.

I don't mind the extra features in Reaper, sure they are neat but I have 3rd party VSTs for most of what I need anyways...

Plus, talking about VSTs, Reaper doesn't like some of 'em whereas I have absolutely no problem with Cubase whatsoever.

Moonlapse, have you ever dabbled with Sonar? It's not as cheap as Reaper, but I love it. the only thing I've ever found it to be missing is a destructive editor, which other software lacks as well anyway, and many ppl don't even need.

Moonlapse, have you ever dabbled with Sonar? It's not as cheap as Reaper, but I love it. the only thing I've ever found it to be missing is a destructive editor, which other software lacks as well anyway, and many ppl don't even need.

Yes, Sonar is awesome. I've mixed a couple projects in Sonar and it was easy and fun. I hate the midi editor though compared to Cubase though.

Sonar is the badgers nadgers :)

Joe

Reaper is everywere....... if you don't like something, it's just make a request, if it be the will of the most, the team will work to fix it soon as posssible.

Good Things:

. Multiband compressor very very complete. Even the number of band is unlimited.
. Routing Matrix <<< that's awesome...you routing with lasers
. 64 bit floating
. FAIR PRICE, REAL WORK, RESPECT AND CARE <<< The most important things in this world... and i believe that's the strongest point on Reaper... the developer is always listening you....

Edit:
Besides that.... i believe that "a real man mix with physics" (by Jbroll, or someone else)....

i used Nuendo for 3 years and switched to logic 8. I am happy now. Great platform. From Nuendo to Reaper is step back.

i used Nuendo for 3 years and switched to logic 8. I am happy now. Great platform. From Nuendo to Reaper is step back.

Wrong...to mix a song on Nuendo is like to mix a entire song with a dildo in the ass compared to mix a song on Reaper (exept when involves MIDI Stuffs):

1° When you freeze a track on Nuendo, you cannot aply new effects or automation.
2° If you want to make a send on nuendo for 20 tracks and change every track pan, you're screwed... it will takes a loooooooong time.
3° When you do some automation on Nuendo, you cannot change the overall volume.
4° Try to make a sidechain on Nuendo, and try it again on Reaper. I'm sure you will understand that dildo thing.

And there's more...

REAPER IS PERFECTLY STABLE FOR ME !

IT DOESN'T CRASH

(on my computer)

so

just try it

maybe sometimes it will crash on your machine or maybe it will not

Are you sure for Reaper sound quality ? Especially for final mixdown (bounce).