Sell me on Reaper

I decided to just try it, as my last version was from January. I did it and it all remained as it was, with all my settings, so I guess this is the way we update it :) All working good, loving Reaper btw. Don't really like the workflow in MIDI, but otherwise loving it

I've not upgraded since I got it over a year and a half ago but I did install the new version on my other home pc.
I've had no problems with running tons of tracks-like around the 80-90 mark with lots of SIR and all guitar sims.
I had it crash a bit with midi, i haven't upgraded though so thats most likely sorted.
My big issue at the moment is that the video player in it seems to be quite buggy- if you play it from the start the video lags. like if you watch a vid and at 2 minutes in its at 1 frame. if you stop the vid and go straight to the 2 min mark and hit play it could be as much as a second or 2 off from the rame you had it at. I'm doing a project that involves writing music for a few trailers and its making it quite difficult! I'm gonna update really soon to see if the new versions have these vid issues sorted!

You might want to check Samplitude. I don't own it but I tried it on several occasions and have been delighted with it. It's a bit pricey and not very popular but It's really good.
There's a Beat detective-like tool that works just as good as the original among other things.
Midi seems well implemented too.

I decided to just try it, as my last version was from January. I did it and it all remained as it was, with all my settings, so I guess this is the way we update it :) All working good, loving Reaper btw. Don't really like the workflow in MIDI, but otherwise loving it
Thanks for trying it out, no worries for anyone else now :)

Moonlapse, I've been preaching about Reaper here for a while now. I moved from Pro-Tools due to the same limitations that you mentioned.
Yes, Reaper still took me a while to get used to, but once I'd made the conscious decision to switch, I bought the two books available on the website and I must say - they're worth every penny. Yes, Reaper is still in development and has a long way to come but I'd strongly recommend integrating it into your workflow.
The main tool I'm missing at the moment is a Beat-Detective clone but other than that I am extremely happy. The new alpha versions have a superior interface too as that seemed to be a major concern for you. THe routing-matrix is crazy cool and creating your own macros will drastically improve your workflow!
If you've any specific questions, feel free to ask.

If you've any specific questions, feel free to ask.

One thing that bugs me about editing in Reaper, though (and I'm sure it can be turned off, but I don't know how) - when editing two regions together, if you trim one over the other, rather than a straight overlap, it seems like it blends the two or something (I don't mean the auto-crossfade, but rather when you look it's like you can see both waveforms superimposed on one another, and sounds that way as well). How do I make it so dragging one region over another completely covers it?

Pretty please? :D

What is so bad about MIDI in Reaper that everyone is talking about? I haven't explored it myself yet other than just creating a midi clip and checking out the piano roll, but it all seemed ok for me. It wasn't much different from Ableton Live's piano roll so I'm kinda used to that. So what is it exactly that is bad about the MIDI... in what way do you mean it's bad?

Side note, does Reaper have any midi effects like to get arpeggios and chords and stuff? Fruity Loops has some crazy nice arpeggio and a lot of chords built in... that's kinda lovely.

I think people who don't like Reaper's MIDI either a) have had it crash on them with a lot of VSTi's or b) are whining cuz they're naked and helpless without the Cubase drum editor :D I've always programmed drums using the piano roll, and I have no problem with it personally! However, one other thing that's annoying about MIDI in Reaper is that the regions sometimes don't quite behave as individual regions that start and stop where the edges are trimmed to; most notably, sometimes when I try to drag an 8-bar drum region from one part of a song over to another (but the second is after a tempo change), sliding the region over near where the tempo change occurs will actually shift the notes within the region, which is fucking maddening. :mad: It's a rare problem though, and doesn't always occur, so I deal!

I think people who don't like Reaper's MIDI either a) have had it crash on them with a lot of VSTi's or b) are whining cuz they're naked and helpless without the Cubase drum editor :D I've always programmed drums using the piano roll, and I have no problem with it personally! However, one other thing that's annoying about MIDI in Reaper is that the regions sometimes don't quite behave as individual regions that start and stop where the edges are trimmed to; most notably, sometimes when I try to drag an 8-bar drum region from one part of a song over to another (but the second is after a tempo change), sliding the region over near where the tempo change occurs will actually shift the notes within the region, which is fucking maddening. :mad: It's a rare problem though, and doesn't always occur, so I deal!

That last problem with the region thingy sounded a bit messy but if it doesn't happen all the time... I guess you can deal with it. But there has to be a reason for it, please try to recreate the problem whenever you can and tell us about it if you can/have time ;)

Oh shit right I had a question for Reaper... or well mainly the JS effects. The Stillwell stuff like Event Horizon, is that the same plug as the real Stillwell Event Horizon, but the code has been transferred to JS and there is no interface, or what? Was thinking if I should buy some Stilwell plugs from their webpage otherwise since they seem to be quite good and don't cost a fortune, but if most of the JS Stilwells are a clone of the originals, I'm fine with that :D

Edit: Jesus Christ, look at my satanic post count (which was 666 when I edited this) :D Evul metuulz, here I cum! Come, I mean!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to, as well as printing out the wiki manual (or at least parts of it that matter to me) and assaulting it with a highlighter. And Niall, here's a vid illustrating my woes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm definitely going to, as well as printing out the wiki manual (or at least parts of it that matter to me) and assaulting it with a highlighter. And Niall, here's a vid illustrating my woes:

Hehe nice way to show your problem! Aaww, I'd like to have a camera too... so much fun to record shit! Well not literally shit... or it depends, if I shit a funny color, it would be a funny shit to record..

You're the devil in disguise... says Elvis. You evil bastard ! :lol:

Yeah but now I had to break that 666 and it's 667 :( damn, I'm not evil anymore!

if I shit a funny color, it would be a funny shit to record...
Drink poor wine and you'll shit green... I have, many times :erk:
Well... green is not so funny. I guess that's why we are devastating the planet :Smug:

Yeah but now I had to break that 666 and it's 667 damn, I'm not evil anymore!
:saint: ? :heh:
So, you've breaked the curse. Bento XVI would be proud of you :err:

Hehe nice way to show your problem! Aaww, I'd like to have a camera too... so much fun to record shit! Well not literally shit... or it depends, if I shit a funny color, it would be a funny shit to record..

Yeah dude, I've gotten so much mileage out of this digicam, it was well worth the investment! (like $200, so not terrible) - and if anyone has any suggestions to turn off the "region blending" feature (that's just what I call it) I show in the vid, I'd appreciate it!

Drink poor wine and you'll shit green... I have, many times :erk:
Well... green is not so funny. I guess that's why we are devastating the planet :Smug:

:saint: ? :heh:
So, you've breaked the curse. Bento XVI would be proud of you :err:

Haha green shit! Eeew... I've downed many bottles of wine so far but none of 'em has been bad I think so I haven't shat any bricks. Damnit, I mean shat green!

Yeah dude, I've gotten so much mileage out of this digicam, it was well worth the investment! (like $200, so not terrible) - and if anyone has any suggestions to turn off the "region blending" feature (that's just what I call it) I show in the vid, I'd appreciate it!

Might buy one sometime :)

And about your problem: Since I haven't switched over to Reaper just yet, I can't help ya but if I encounter the same thing when I do (could be a while though..), you can count on me beating the shit out of that problem and then handing you a mangled up solution =)

Oh shit right I had a question for Reaper... or well mainly the JS effects. The Stillwell stuff like Event Horizon, is that the same plug as the real Stillwell Event Horizon, but the code has been transferred to JS and there is no interface, or what? Was thinking if I should buy some Stilwell plugs from their webpage otherwise since they seem to be quite good and don't cost a fortune, but if most of the JS Stilwells are a clone of the originals, I'm fine with that :D

From what I recall, the JS versions of Stilwells' plugins use the same basic algorithms. But due to the limitations of the JS format they lack certain advanced features such as lookahead.