Sell me on Reaper

Reaper has never crashed for me.
It's hugely flexible and if you put the work into assigning shortcuts and creating/downloading macros then it will be able to do anything you want, how you want it.

The routing is what sells it for me though, it's just ridiculously good and every time i open up the routing matrix i just go WHY doesn't everything have this.

I'd say working with reaper how it comes when you download it, it's a bit slower to work with than other DAWs i've tried. If you take the time to customize it, then it'll be much faster

Reaper has some cool stuff that Cubase misses out on, like tab-to-transient and detailed performance info. You can, for example, get a list of tracks by CPU usage, so you know that the lead vocal is using 15% of the CPU and guitars are 7% each. You can then look closer at the guitar stack, and see that Wagner Sharp is using 5% and SIR is using 2%, for example. In Cubase, you just have a meter for how much the whole project is using. Cubase has much better disk performance when using a lot of tracks, though.

Reaper has never crashed for me.
It's hugely flexible and if you put the work into assigning shortcuts and creating/downloading macros then it will be able to do anything you want, how you want it.

Are there any templates that approximate PT-esque workflow?

The reason I'm looking to get away from Cubase is because I don't want to customize half the software's feature sets to my needs... I'm after a default that's in the ballpark and software that works great 'out of the box' (ie. PT!!!!). I prefer to spend time mixing over tweaking program feature sets.

I have to say this talk of external editing and crashing under certain circumstances is a bit worrying. Cost is not so much an issue, as finding a DAW that is stable and efficient is. I might give the free version a spin, but am afraid I might dismiss it out of hand due to the interface. If it behaves a lot like Cubase, is there any reason to actually get it over Cubase?

If cost is no issue, get SAWstudio. OzNimbus swears by it and he knows what hes talking about.

-Greg

Wrong...to mix a song on Nuendo is like to mix a entire song with a dildo in the ass compared to mix a song on Reaper (exept when involves MIDI Stuffs):

1° When you freeze a track on Nuendo, you cannot aply new effects or automation.
2° If you want to make a send on nuendo for 20 tracks and change every track pan, you're screwed... it will takes a loooooooong time.
3° When you do some automation on Nuendo, you cannot change the overall volume.
4° Try to make a sidechain on Nuendo, and try it again on Reaper. I'm sure you will understand that dildo thing.

And there's more...

Holy shit, those are exactly the main things that bug me about Cubase/Nuendo. As irritating as these are, I find it far more irritating to mix in Reaper. I go back to it every once and a while because it really is such a promising piece of software but I end up pulling my hair out. I can work very, very fast in Cubase, Sonar and Pro Tools, but for me, Reaper just feels cumbersome for some reason. I also used to mix with Logic before it was discontinued on the PC way back in the day. I must agree that with everything taken into account, Reaper is a step backwards.

okay lets say this. my old comp with ONe gig of ram and a pentium 4 could run 72 tracks in reaper with drum replacement and all and vocal chains and guitar chains and busses
with out fucking up

its so not resource heavy at all its genius plus its always updating and being awesome :D

my old comp with ONe gig of ram and a pentium 4 could run 72 tracks in reaper with drum replacement and all and vocal chains and guitar chains and busses

Did you have to do any optimising in the disk access options? I could never make it read more than thirty or so tracks (with no effects) before it started cutting out. I tried changing the disk caching options but I didn't really know what I was doing.

Reaper has never crashed on me...I honestly think that its just as capable as everything else (besides PT of course)

I'm keeping one eye on Reapers current alpha releases. So far they've gotten in-line MIDI editing in there and you can now have stacked folder tracks (one feature I really wanted for the sake of workflow). I'm waiting to see if they ever include a grid/audio-warping capability that blows away Steinbergs though.

I have one doubt about Reaper, I've been using in the past 3 days, and when you create a track you just create a track, you can't define a stereo or mono, so it's just "hybrid"? If you stuck a stereo plugin it's a stereo track or if you stuck a mono plugin it's a mono track?! I'm asking this mainly because of parallel compression and such, I have to create a track, stuck a plugin there and say have a send from the snare. This is a bit odd to me, as in Cubase you had to create a "Group Track", instead of just a track a have another track send there... That's what makes it a bit confusing to me... is there any way to "check"? If it's stereo or mono?

Oh, and how do you update? Just download the .exe from their site and run it? Because it still asks if you want to install all plugins etc etc instead of just "upgrade" or something

The tracks have 2 channels as standard, although they can be set to have many many more. If you put a mono plugin in the chain it makes the signal mono for all intents and purposes. your sends and returns can be sent to specific channels of specific tracks as well. e.g. you can send one signal to the left of a track and another to the right. It's all in the routing dialog (the funny button on each track that looks like a USB symbol)

If there's a new version you download the new version in full and install it.

sorry not a clue, i only know the method never had to do it myself. If you're worried about it deleting stuff i reccomend trawling the cockos website and forum for info