Seriously ... what the fuck is djent?!?

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Okay guys, I have an idea ... of course I know Meshuggah's tone and I can distinguish it from other "normal" tones. But what exactly are the characteristics of djent?

Is it the gnarly, kind of wah-like metallic sound? It's even hard to find words in my own language, so I'm even more limited with describing it in english.

Does anyone of you know djenty bands out of the typical deathcore/techmetal-genre (even higher tuned)? Maybe I'm just too accustomed to the genre-typical sound and playing-style.

A totally asshole-question to add:
Any 5150-settings + Boss SD-1/TS or Revalver-Settings to get me in the ballpark? I need that typical djent-tone for a short clip. Basically ... "how do djent? ¯\(°_o)/¯

I know these are dumb questions to ask, but the whole genre is pretty new to me ...

suck presence boost trebbile, suck a bit o mid, thats how i do it, oh btw did you use those tracks i re-amped for oyu

Imagine you are trying to emulate (vocally) the sound of super heavy, tight, palm muted guitar riff. Say the 'Sad But True' verse riff:

Djeeent Djent-djent-djeent Djent Djent. Djent djent djent-djent-djeent djent djent.

Lots of gain and treble and detune your guitars to at least B flat or lower. Needs the low tuning other wise the treble and gain heavy settings just sound scratchy and thin.

yeah but reemeber in djent it has to be like...DJENT DJENT WAAOOOOO DJJEEEEENT JENT JENT DEJEEENT DJEJEJEJENT WEELDY WEELDY DJENTJENMTJENT

suck presence boost trebbile, suck a bit o mid, thats how i do it, oh btw did you use those tracks i re-amped for oyu

Sure I did, came out great ... but didn't I sent you a PM about it?
The whole project is halted at the moment because the band has had some internal issues *haha* ...

Imagine you are trying to emulate (vocally) the sound of super heavy, tight, palm muted guitar riff. Say the 'Sad But True' verse riff:

Djeeent Djent-djent-djeent Djent Djent. Djent djent djent-djent-djeent djent djent.

Lots of gain and treble and detune your guitars to at least B flat or lower. Needs the low tuning other wise the treble and gain heavy settings just sound scratchy and thin.

Okay, so I have a wrong idea about djent ... I thought it's the metallic "quak"-sound of a non-PM'd string. So, Sad But True isn't lower than B flat *haha* ... but I think I got it. Never would have described Metallica as having a djenty tone o_0

Don't you fucking forget BAUUUOW! A djent tone needs sum o' dat shit!

Haha on a more serious note, when I think of djent, I just think of that quack sound you mentioned, and a general metallicness to the sound. If that's not djent, well then fuck it, guess I don't like djent but I like metallic guitars :D I also LOVE the sound of brand new strings, too bad that sound only lasts for a week max... but I think that would help quite a bit in "my version" of djent.

It's also fun to have traces of djent in a guitar tone, without actually playing djent. The usual djent metal is kinda boring if you ask me, it really needs to be mixed up with something else. Like Textures... they don't have that djenty sound but I feel it would work for them on some parts!

Can someone post a comparison between a 'djent' palm mute and a 'non-djent' palm mute? I always thought the 'djent' came from loose strings being a bit wobbly as soon as you hit them on non-PM'd strings and the tone of the note sort of takes a while to come into effect, and as JoeJackson said you get a noise beforehand which sounds pretty cool.

Haha on a more serious note, when I think of djent, I just think of that quack sound you mentioned, and a general metallicness to the sound. If that's not djent, well then fuck it, guess I don't like djent but I like metallic guitars :D I also LOVE the sound of brand new strings, too bad that sound only lasts for a week max... but I think that would help quite a bit in "my version" of djent.

It's also fun to have traces of djent in a guitar tone, without actually playing djent. The usual djent metal is kinda boring if you ask me, it really needs to be mixed up with something else. Like Textures... they don't have that djenty sound but I feel it would work for them on some parts!

Exactly.

If djent = quak then I'm a djent fan. At least of the tonal qualities. I DO like bulbs stuff, but other than that I'm not really into the whole genre and I do not play anything near DJENT DJENT WOAHAHOWEDOOOOHAMMERINTHEMORNING :lol:

Gosh, I love it, when my amps quak slightly wah-like on single-notes on my low D-string :D

Any 5150-settings + Boss SD-1/TS or Revalver-Settings to get me in the ballpark? I need that typical djent-tone for a short clip. Basically ... "how do djent? ¯(°_o)/¯

I know these are dumb questions to ask, but the whole genre is pretty new to me ...

I used to use my green channel on the 5150 II for djent. its hard to do on a normal 5150 I think

But bassicly, no drive or small amount on the ts, level at 9 adjust the tone to suit.

I had my 5150 at

low:7
mid:5
High:8
Adjust the pre to suit.

But that was on the green channel...

Its also alot to do with the way you play, I kind of hit the string a certain way to get a "djent" or a "buaowwww" :lol:

I'm DJ Ent and I'm here to say
I love me some Meshuggah in every way
I got me 8 strings and it's tuned down low
I got my drums from hell and I'm ready to go

I'm a lyrical genius!!

Perhaps we need to start a Djentelman list

The Djentelman list:

Meshuggah
Despised icon
Suicide Silence

feel free to add to the list, but only true Djentelmen allowed.

Yeah, it comes down to the low tunings, kinda hard to do above B I've found. And, IMO anyway, a good "djent tone" will have the good, tight palm muted sound but also the quack on the open notes. I know what you are trying to say, basically yes what you think a djent tone is...is generally what everyone else would consider a djent tone. Some people may differ in opinion but whenever I hear that kind of tone (a la 'shuggah or Bulb, etc.) I think djent.

~006

Thank you all for clarification. I bet the confusion came from tuning-varieties. I never go below C and the band that demands the djent-clip is on C, too, so I guess that makes a huge difference.

Perhaps we need to start a Djentelman list

The Djentelman list:

Meshuggah
Despised icon
Suicide Silence

feel free to add to the list, but only true Djentelmen allowed.

Wait wait, DI is NOT what I would call djent, they're deathcore (and I haven't heard SS, but I assume they're similar). To me a djent tone is very "rubbery" and kinda digital sounding (this is a good example IMO), and as for the the djent style, I'd say it's epitomized by a spastic type of sound, with phrases ending suddenly with heavy accents on the upbeats (to me, Bulb pretty much defines modern djent, and everything else is a derivative)

I would have to say Dino from FF invented the djent, hands down... and in my neck of the woods, we refer to the metallica djent as junt, its a bit different and a little less progressive / more br00tal. jun jun jun jun jun jun gen jun junt!

sybreed pwns djent!

sybreed pwns djent!

Haha I love Sybreed's guitar tone on Antares. It doesn't sound like a guitar at some times, and I absolutely love that. Why does every band go for that authentic tube amp sound? I think it's so much fun when I hear something that is completely out of the ordinary... but of course, it still has to sound good, so it's hard to do anything wild really. When a 14 year old kid slams his Metal Zone infront of his 15 Watt Peavey, it doesn't sound good. But when these guys like Sybreed do... whatever they do, it sounds awesome haha.

I'd love to know more about Sybreed's tone, if anyone knows anything about it.

(btw, didn't mean to imply that tube amps are boring, it's just that I happen to love stuff that are a bit wild and out of the ordinary, ESPECIALLY if it's a tube amp that is going ape shit! :D)