Seriously ... what the fuck is djent?!?

I'd love to know more about Sybreed's tone, if anyone knows anything about it.

(btw, didn't mean to imply that tube amps are boring, it's just that I happen to love stuff that are a bit wild and out of the ordinary, ESPECIALLY if it's a tube amp that is going ape shit! :D)

They used a POD. Dirk from Soilwork came in as a session drummer to do the drum tracks as well.

They used a POD. Dirk from Soilwork came in as a session drummer to do the drum tracks as well.

Yea I know about Dirk, that crazy bitch drummer... he's quite wicked :)

POD? Hehe damn, the tone is very lifeless but I still like it... as I said, probably mainly because it's not "just another miced up 5150 with v30s" kinda tone. It's fun to hear something different from time to time ;)

As a side note, I bought a Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor distortion pedal on sale yesterday, for like 50$ just for the fun of it, and tried using it to warm up or fuck up the signal before it hits the DAW, but it was kinda mediocre... so it's on sale again via the intarwebz, for more money than I spent on it, haha. Some kid ought to buy it, because it's black and so metuuuulz!

And oh, from this thread, it has become quite obvious that I indeed don't like djent... I just happen to like the quack or wobbly tone, but since djent is the actual technique, as shown by TheDude, I don't really care much for djent :p I wouldn't want a tone like Meshuggah's but I would be satisfied with a tone that is sort of like Textures, probably with a slightly more of a mid boost before the amp. I think that's what I've kind of tried to do on my latest digital tone attempt.

Oh and that riffage from that kid/dude on youtube.... man, was that even serious? I thought he was playing Meshuggah songs, but he's actually playing his "own" riffs in that video right? If so, it's just tragic...

I think djent has become such a craze these days, that it's the 'standard tone' for anyone in their bedroom with a pod and EZdrummer/DKFH superior. I have heard lots of recordings where people have a djent type of tone and it doesn't even fit the music very well, and I guess it's because on the line6 modellers it's much easier to get a djent tone, because by it's nature it's very stale and digital sounding, whereas getting a nice thick 5150 In Flames type of sound, or a Nevermore Recto DHIADW type of sound is much harder on the digital modelling stuff, so people just go with djent.

There are some people who do it very well, but for the most part, the majority of the recordings are just Meshuggah ripoffs that have a little 'something' different about them so the person recording them can argue they are only influenced by Meshuggah and they're not trying to copy them.

To hear a true example of what "djent" is, listen to Meshuggah's God's of Rapture from the album None at the 3:15 mark, or the very beginning of Sublevels off Destroy Erase Improve. End of story.

Man I miss old Meshuggah.

me too...i rocked DEI in my car the other day, and had almost forgotten how ridiculous that album sounded

future breed machine = heaviest song E.V.E.R.

I think DEI is probably my favorite Meshuggah album, but I think Nothing has their best sound and production, as well as being their heaviest album.

p.s. some of you guys are way too uptight about "djent." I don't think anyone here could list more than 15-20 bands in the style, yet there are hundreds upon hundreds of metalcore, death metal, black metal, thrash, etc. etc. bands that sound alike and have their own trends. what's the big deal?

For me, djent just has some particularly immediately identifiable characteristics to my ears that I'm not a fan of - much like I despise any hardcore breakdown (everything stops, tempo change) without exception (I don't feel as strongly about djent, it just doesn't do much for me)

I think DEI is probably my favorite Meshuggah album, but I think Nothing has their best sound and production, as well as being their heaviest album.

How is possible? ¯\(°_o)/¯

I will respectfully disagree, but the sound is certainly unique. When I first put Nothing in my CD player, I thought something was wrong with my system. I think that sound is atrocious at best. The remixed version is not much better in my humble opinion and overall the album was a major letdown for me. At first, I had convinced myself that it was a great album because I was such a big fan, I waited so long for its release and I did not want to be dissapointed. The more I listened, the more I realized that it is an incredibly boring and uninspired album (for me) and had such a lack of creativity from their previous albums. Anyway enough on that. BTW, does anyone share the same love for Contradictions Collapse as I do?

For me, djent just has some particularly immediately identifiable characteristics to my ears that I'm not a fan of - much like I despise any hardcore breakdown (everything stops, tempo change) without exception (I don't feel as strongly about djent, it just doesn't do much for me)

not all breakdowns change tempo :O and not everything stops,

Djent to me sounds like an 8 string guitar played slap bass style.

Although I quite like it in short doses, it all sounds quite samey to me.

I prefer the 8 string to be played Dino Cazares style where the lowest strings are used to compliment the standard 6 rather than dominate the whole piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be quite interesting when djent becomes really popular and everyone starts doing it.

BECAUSE to play djent you need to tune to at least B flat, and once you go that low, *proper* metal riffs start to sound not that great. I love a lot of aspects of djent, the groove, interesting rhythms etc, but it is a genre with a very restricted life-span due to the limitations enforced by the required tone and tuning to play it. The true pioneers of the genre such as Meshuggah, and then latterly Tesseract/fell silent and Bulb/periphery will be the originators in a sea of people that sound exactly like them, just not as good or original.

That's why I play in C: metal riffs sound good, and you can still do djent-ish polyrhythmic groove riffs, but they don't sound like you're simply ripping off meshuggah due to not playing in A/G/F or however low you want to go.