Seriously ... what the fuck is djent?!?

Hey, that can explain some of my writer's block I've had recently... :)

Ever since I tuned down and adjusted my g33tar to A#, I've been able to make a couple songs and that's it. I feel very limited somehow, and I'm running in circles and not many riffs that spawn in my head sound good when I actually play them on the guitar.

However... I look at this as a challenge, I will not give up on this tuning just yet, I'm aiming to use and abuse it and make a whole bunch of songs and THEN I can move on :)

Oh btw dan weapon, admit it, you play in C because it's extremely fun to play along to Devin's stuff, amirite? ;) It's been a while since I did that... I miss it!

Oh btw dan weapon, admit it, you play in C because it's extremely fun to play along to Devin's stuff, amirite? ;) It's been a while since I did that... I miss it!

I'd play in open C (CGCGCE) if I wanted to be like Dev but it's a pain and the string tensions feel strange!

In all honesty, I've been playing in C for about 6 years - ever since I heard KSE's Alive or just breathing.

Before that I had a guitar in drop-D and one in Standard B (to be like carcass), but going to "drop C" just seemed to tick all the boxes. I'd actually rather play in standard C, but I need that dropped lowest string to be able to play 5 string chords with big intervals.

Hehe was just teasing man! =)

Yup I have to agree. I keep saying that I'm not a guitarist but now it occured to me that I'm playing guitar quite a lot, even if it's purely for song writing, and when I was in C tuning, I could play so many different things that actually sounded pretty cool and interesting... for me atleast. In A#, as I said, I feel much more confined to chug chug riffs but a recent boost in inspiration that I had ... well, yesterday, is hopefully going to change that :)

<-- Band name haha

Oh Hi,
I'm just weighing in on the djent thing. The term "djent" is an onomatopoeia for the sounds of the guitars for Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve. That album is the pinnacle of djent. Look at the intro of Soul Burn or the rhythm guitar interlude in the middle of Vanished for perfect examples. It is one half technique and one half tone. It's a very heavy palm mute usually using 3 or 4 note bar chords. The mids should be scooped but not too much because you need the mid raking "honk" of the thinner strings to stick out. You also need that trailing guitar cabinet "whooOOoomph" around the 80-100hz region as well.

IMO, Meshuggah evolved their style after Chaosphere and nothing they have done since then has really had the same djent. They play mostly one note riffs now.

Anyway, my band Tandjent (silly name yes I know haha) put out a CD in 2005 that was heavily influenced by the DEI/Chaosphere ere and has much djentiness on it!

These days I'm not so obsessed with this style but it is definitely fun every once in a while!

did you used to post over at home recording.com a lot like 3-4 years ago? there was a meshuggah type band that used to post over there that I can't for the life of me remember their name, but they recorded everything themselves very nicely and were very tight. If that was you, you have good stuff, and yes, you were very into the djent sound (and might I say one of the first to explore it)! what's funny is, when I had seen your name in the past (at least I think it was you guys), people weren't using "djent" as a descriptor back then. Where did you first see that term? I actually went "looking" for you guys on there once, but no one answered my request for what band that was. glad to see you're still around.

<-- Band name haha

Oh Hi,
I'm just weighing in on the djent thing. The term "djent" is an onomatopoeia for the sounds of the guitars for Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve. That album is the pinnacle of djent. Look at the intro of Soul Burn or the rhythm guitar interlude in the middle of Vanished for perfect examples. It is one half technique and one half tone. It's a very heavy palm mute usually using 3 or 4 note bar chords. The mids should be scooped but not too much because you need the mid raking "honk" of the thinner strings to stick out. You also need that trailing guitar cabinet "whooOOoomph" around the 80-100hz region as well.

IMO, Meshuggah evolved their style after Chaosphere and nothing they have done since then has really had the same djent. They play mostly one note riffs now.

Anyway, my band Tandjent (silly name yes I know haha) put out a CD in 2005 that was heavily influenced by the DEI/Chaosphere ere and has much djentiness on it!

These days I'm not so obsessed with this style but it is definitely fun every once in a while!

Hey man! Yah, that was me. I haven't been to the homerecording forums in yearrrrs hehe. Thanks for the compliments. I'm actually working on a remix of our CD right now and things are sounding amazing. Big improvement. When it's all done I'll probably give it away as a free download or something.

The first I heard the term was around the Meshuggah forum back in 1999-2000. I'm pretty sure it was around before that though. 96-97 at the latest.

Check us out on myspace for some samples myspace.com/tandjent. We're still selling the cd as well. I'm going to drastically drop the price here in the next couple days. We still have about 500 left to get rid of.

Cheers

did you used to post over at home recording.com a lot like 3-4 years ago? there was a meshuggah type band that used to post over there that I can't for the life of me remember their name, but they recorded everything themselves very nicely and were very tight. If that was you, you have good stuff, and yes, you were very into the djent sound (and might I say one of the first to explore it)! what's funny is, when I had seen your name in the past (at least I think it was you guys), people weren't using "djent" as a descriptor back then. Where did you first see that term? I actually went "looking" for you guys on there once, but no one answered my request for what band that was. glad to see you're still around.

Hey man! Yah, that was me. I haven't been to the homerecording forums in yearrrrs hehe. Thanks for the compliments. I'm actually working on a remix of our CD right now and things are sounding amazing. Big improvement. When it's all done I'll probably give it away as a free download or something.

[OT mode on]That would be nice! ( is that you tim?) I bought your CD back in the day...[OT mode off]

And yes, my first time was also on the meshuggah forum, a comment written by bulb if I remember correctly.

hehe... the secret is out!

BTW... Gävle? I know one Swede that lives(d) there from the Meshuggah Forum.

Can't believe I actually wrote "I've hard" instead of "I've heard". I'm such a retard sometimes :D *slams head in desk and behaves like a retard, HWAJDKSAJDHUUUUEUEEUFH*

Oh, it was Revalver huh? Guess I'm getting good at noticing it since I've tried getting a tone I like out of Revalver but I always always always have that harshness in it... can't seem to get rid of that, and that's what I recognized in your clips. Did you use Revalver on the re-recorded version or did I hear the first version?

Yeah I'm from Gävle, the greatest city in the whole world. This place is so alive, there are a shitload of musicians everywhere, it's so easy to get people to work with in projects etc, and of course, there are a shitload of jobs. Also plenty of non-slut girls to meet etc. All of what I said now would be true if it wasn't a lie so in short: Gävle sucks dick and I'm gonna be thrilled when I have the money to GTFO.

Sorry for ranting on Gävle... I actually just wanted to say that the guy from the Meshuggah forum, he doesn't happen to be from the band Vildhjarta right?

Haha I was kidding. I've never used Revalver before. Guitars were recorded using a Mesa Single Rect. through my Marshall Cab. I thought you were being sarcastic. :) I am working with convolution reverbs for cabinet simulation these days using my Engl Powerball. Very cool stuff.

I'm not sure which guy from the Meshuggah Forum you are speaking about. I haven't heard of that band.

Can't believe I actually wrote "I've hard" instead of "I've heard". I'm such a retard sometimes :D *slams head in desk and behaves like a retard, HWAJDKSAJDHUUUUEUEEUFH*

Oh, it was Revalver huh? Guess I'm getting good at noticing it since I've tried getting a tone I like out of Revalver but I always always always have that harshness in it... can't seem to get rid of that, and that's what I recognized in your clips. Did you use Revalver on the re-recorded version or did I hear the first version?

Yeah I'm from Gävle, the greatest city in the whole world. This place is so alive, there are a shitload of musicians everywhere, it's so easy to get people to work with in projects etc, and of course, there are a shitload of jobs. Also plenty of non-slut girls to meet etc. All of what I said now would be true if it wasn't a lie so in short: Gävle sucks dick and I'm gonna be thrilled when I have the money to GTFO.

Sorry for ranting on Gävle... I actually just wanted to say that the guy from the Meshuggah forum, he doesn't happen to be from the band Vildhjarta right?

Oh I see, nah it's just a very... djenty dude I suppose, and his band is kinda split between Gävle and Hudiksvall so I figured maybe it was him.

Haha oh, so it was a Mesa Single Rec... damn, I suppose the harshness in Revalver isn't due to "digitalism", but rather realistic modeling of amps. Guess some amplifiers are just supposed to sound a little harsh. Would be kinda boring if every amp in the world was smooth like Jessica Alba anyway... or wait.. what?? o_O

I HATE THE SINGLE REC

Just putting it out there ;)

And for those who don't know, I think my Dual Rec is the greatest amp ever made, so I'm by NO MEANS a Recto hater!

Oh I see, nah it's just a very... djenty dude I suppose, and his band is kinda split between Gävle and Hudiksvall so I figured maybe it was him.

Haha oh, so it was a Mesa Single Rec... damn, I suppose the harshness in Revalver isn't due to "digitalism", but rather realistic modeling of amps. Guess some amplifiers are just supposed to sound a little harsh. Would be kinda boring if every amp in the world was smooth like Jessica Alba anyway... or wait.. what?? o_O

I looked up that band Vildhjarta and I think I know who you are talking about:
Daniel "Seyd" Bergström
I do know him. I was actually talking to him the other day about IR stuff.

Btw, I think some of the harshness in our guitars was exaggerated a little over-EQing in the mastering. My remix I have going now seems a lot less harsh so far.

I HATE THE SINGLE REC

Just putting it out there ;)

And for those who don't know, I think my Dual Rec is the greatest amp ever made, so I'm by NO MEANS a Recto hater!

It's all we had to work with at the time. I'm not the biggest fan of it either. I like my ENGL a lot more these days.

I looked up that band Vildhjarta and I think I know who you are talking about:
Daniel "Seyd" Bergström
I do know him. I was actually talking to him the other day about IR stuff.

Btw, I think some of the harshness in our guitars was exaggerated a little over-EQing in the mastering. My remix I have going now seems a lot less harsh so far.

Oh cool dude :D

Would be interesting to hear the new improved version!

Absolutely ,i love some tracks on that album Tim, .The album itself sounds really good but a thicker kick drum an a less harsh guitar tone would be great .