Seriously ... what the fuck is djent?!?

Is it just me or is "djent" common as fuck these days? It started sounding quite original, now ever fucker is getting it, your more original these days if you DON'T have a twangy top end.

That isnt too say I don't like Sybreed or anything. Just after hearing all the rip offs it gets a bit boring.

Perhaps we need to start a Djentelman list

The Djentelman list:

Meshuggah
Despised icon
Suicide Silence

feel free to add to the list, but only true Djentelmen allowed.

except for despised icon and suicide silence having nothing to do with it and not sounding similar at all...

the main sound just comes from palm muting higher up, which almost becomes a necessity when you're at Bb or below anyways... you mute higher up (your hand farther away from the bridge) and it gives a tighter, slightly scratchy staccato sound and less bass comes through, which happens to sound really cool and aggressive when tuned really low. palm muting lower near the bridge when below Bb just gives too much bass and starts sounding muddy and is something I avoid (except for sliding my hand down there occasionally for a slow, sludgey riff which can be fun now and then...)

the style has that characteristic sound, lots of heavy grooves, lots of polyrhythms and odd time signatures, and lots of single note rhythms and half step bends. it's supposed to sound very machine-like.

Is it just me or is "djent" common as fuck these days? It started sounding quite original, now ever fucker is getting it, your more original these days if you DON'T have a twangy top end.

That isnt too say I don't like Sybreed or anything. Just after hearing all the rip offs it gets a bit boring.

It's more common, but you could say the same thing about every other style of metal... only they have many, many more bands that sound like each other.

It's more common, but you could say the same thing about every other style of metal... only they have many, many more bands that sound like each other.

True but there is also people like ones on this forum that aren't artists selling albums, a lot of clips on the rate my mix/tone thread ill listen too have that same twangy "djent". Especially with Axe-Fx/POD users.

I wont deny there is lots of other styles which sound alike but I guess this is more prominant to me since this "genre" hasn't been around as long.

The tone goes with the music aswell, the offbeat blah blah stuff. There is loads of thrash bands about but there isnt really the "thrash tone", where as "djent" is a music style AND a tone.

Is it just me or is "djent" common as fuck these days?

yeah, but it's all good. metal has it's trends. very common, but at least it ain't bad music usually. it's pretty cool stuff when done right. I can't do it, but it ain't my bag to play, just periodically listen.

I love me some djent. I also love the subtle "half cocked wah" sound, which I guess is pretty similar to djent, but a little different and may require it's own term. Djaunt? Easy to go overboard with djaunt though.

Oh, 100% agreed, believe me ;)

Trust me, I love me some djent every now and then (I'm a huge Sybreed and Textures fan), but it does get old after a while. Because djenty riffs are kind of by definition off-time and "weird", I find it hard to get a djenty song stuck in my head.

Yeah...I think I mixed Djents with Chuggs.
I'd say most of these bands that play proggy-mathy type riffs/songs recording with a POD and Superior drummer are djenty.

Eh, the playing is only part of it IMO, there are definitely characteristics to what has become known as a djent tone these days (though I agree that the term originated simply as an onomatopoeia from that style of palm-muting, so technically it was appropriate at one point, but it's grown since then IMO)

Also, as blub himself has said, them powerchords need 4 notes to be djent. Like:
Db:||-4-4-4-4-4------5-5---5
Ab:||-2-2-2-2-2------3-3---3
Eb:||-2-2-2-2-2------3-3---3
Bb:||-0-0-0-0-0------1-1---1 etc.

And the polyrhythms are essential too.

I <3 djent!

Also, as blub himself has said, them powerchords need 4 notes to be djent. Like:
Db:||-4-4-4-4-4------5-5---5
Ab:||-2-2-2-2-2------3-3---3
Eb:||-2-2-2-2-2------3-3---3
Bb:||-0-0-0-0-0------1-1---1 etc.

And the polyrhythms are essential too.

I <3 djent!

yeah, some people like to talk about that... but it doesn't really make all that much of a difference... there's tons of times meshuggah themselves are playing only single note or just two notes together and it still sounds the same... the extra 5th on the powerchord thing is something they do every now and then, but i don't think it's something essential to the sound or style of playing...

Listen to the first 40 seconds of Meshuggah's Closed Eye Visuals...that to me is djent....listen to the string boing!