Seriously ... what the fuck is djent?!?

bulb

NOW I know!

(Got the joke?)
Oh man, picture day today^^

I like to think of Djent and a spice that is in a lot of metal dishes lately. Your progressive mathcore might have some Djent in it, just like your lasagna might have some sweet basil marinara in it. It might have a lot of sweet basil marinara. I fuckin LOVE sweet basil marinara. Djentiness be damned, if it's Djenty, it's Djenty.

Oh, I get it now. So basically: "Its not delivery, its Djento"

I still have NO idea what Djent is.

This has been getting confusing. Many, many years ago before I ever joined this forum, djent was a style of palm muting Meshuggah (most notably) often used and it sounds EXACTLY like the example the Dude posted. That's what it sounds like when you mimick it with your mouth - djent djent djent!!!!!! Now the term has evolved into describing a style of music, but I don't really understand how.

This has been getting confusing. Many, many years ago before I ever joined this forum, djent was a style of palm muting Meshuggah (most notably) often used and it sounds EXACTLY like the example the Dude posted. That's what it sounds like when you mimick it with your mouth - djent djent djent!!!!!! Now the term has evolved into describing a style of music, but I don't really understand how.

That's what is so damned confusing. The bands that are supposed to be "djent" sound nothing like Meshuggah from a songwriting and a production standpoint. There have been bands and people like Misha who have mentioned their influences such as Meshuggah.

IMO the guitar tone of ALL the Meshuggah albums has never been what has been defined as djent. I remember when I first hear Bleed back before the album was released thinking, "those guitars have some chug to them". Nothing like bands such as periphery are doing today.

The only similarity I can see of Meshuggah to any other "djent" band is in the sognwritting, the polymeters, but the new wave of "djent" bands have gone on their own tangent in terms of musical and production structure to where they are nothing like the very band that influenced them to have their sound.

Today though, my definition of djent has always been from the guitar tone, and the pinnacle of that tone was brought to fame by Misha, therefor, the best example would be to listen to the guitar tone of Periphery, that is Djent.

This guitar tone is djent, that is the current definition, it is nothing more than that, if you want to talk about what it previously ment, that is a whole other debate:

I can oversimplify:

Old meaning: odd polymeters
New meaning: Periphery guitar tone/production

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the Ideas within also was to make atonal music.
In these tracks you will never find a real "riff" so to speak, a melody that really builds and and is arranged.
Its mostly about playing notes in a rythm and creating long runs with this (listen to songs like combustion from Meshuggah) and then breaking into extremely short jazz-like melodies which because of there abscenese are then way more "melodic" ... its very wierd ... kinda pronounces the melody ...

If I listen to for example the intro riff to bleed, its really not about the melody at all.
Its rythm, actual sound and musical ability that is used to make a cool track ... kinda like "geek music" ...
I think its really one of the most odd styles of music, a usual pop or rap fan will pretty much go insane when youre blasting it in a car with him.

Trust me, I love me some djent every now and then (I'm a huge Sybreed and Textures fan), but it does get old after a while. Because djenty riffs are kind of by definition off-time and "weird", I find it hard to get a djenty song stuck in my head.

The Djent thing has ruined my taste for music! Been playing with those tones too much! And as for Meshuggah, I didn't really like Meshuggah or anything of the sort when i first heard them. I couldn't sit through a record without getting a headache but after making a conscious effort to get into them, i learnt to love it! Now i wake up every morning with fucking polyrhythms in my head!

I'm having to make another conscious effort to return my taste to everything i've ever loved because 4/4 time just stopped cutting it! I'm recovering now thank god.

Never stopped loving Wintersun though. Excellent taste there my friend! I've even got my Wintersun T-Shirt on in my Avatar! (That was in the O2 Arena In London just to brag!)

Im bored of Djent already and only heard the term at the beginning of the year,
i like some parts of songs that may be considered Djent but on the whole i get bored of it rather quickly
Rest assured it will go the way of NuMetal and be scoffed at within a year or two, its a fad IMHO it will pass, let the kids with the skinny jeans and deck shoes have their fun.
Perhaps think of it as Metals version of what Autotune is to Pop music right now.

To me, there's nothing quite like a slightly crunchy guitar with delay and reverb, all of a sudden blooming out to a lush and fat high-gain sound without any effects. To me, the pinnacle of guitar tone is Lateralus by Tool. It's just fucking unbelievable to me how organic and human it sounds.

'Shuggah I like for their song writing and brutalz..... but their guitar tone is pretty sterile and unpleasant when outside of a Meshuggah context, imho.

Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Djent tone is many times created using a Line 6 amp modeling product such as the Pod series or the Axe-Fx. When possible, an amp model such as the Big Bottom or Modern High Gain on these devices is used in conjunction with a modeled Tube Screamer in front. Engl and Mesa amplifiers are typically used when tube amplification is preferred.

Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords. Electronica influences such as glitchy percussion and synthesizers are also incorporated.-urban dictionary