Setlist Poll - Results Posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oculus
Set the World on Fire (brilliant opening combo)
Fallen
Orion The Hunter
The Walls of Babylon
Paradise Lost (This was amazing live, they need to keep it)
In the Dragon's Den
Egypt (!)
The Damnation Game
Accolade I and/or II

Encore: The Odyssey (orgasmic)

Some other great songs to include:
Through the Looking Glass
Church of the Machine
Revelation
King of Terrors

Yeah.... I've been on a Twilight binge lately.

Actually, according to MJR, they've done Accolade quite a few times & got lukewarm responses to it more often than not, so they're baffled by how many people ask for it.

I think it's because the first Accolade doesn't translate too well live (at least compared to Accolade II, which is, in my opinion, far superior in structure). When I saw them in early '03 they played a medley of the two - the first Accolade up until after the second chorus, followed by Accolade II (minus the piano/violin intro). It was orgasmic.

Awakenings never seemed to translate too well live, either... and for some reason they skip the intro with the awesome bass lead! Also, according to Russell, The Edge of Forever didn't come off too well live, either (the one time they played it).

well i'm glad to see this up, but everything V I think has been over done.

In no particular order....

Awakenings
The Odyssey
The Accolade 1/2
The Edge of Forever
Paradise Lost
Serpents Kiss
Sacrifice
Orion The Hunter
Masquerade
Absinthe and Rue
Damnation Game

I really wan't them to add some olde material in there, but at the same time i'm going to be seeing them on the paradise lost tour round two... I havent got to see them play any of those songs live yet so I really wanna hear paradise lost and the such.

A Fool's Paradise
Accolade II
Awakenings
Church of the Machine
Lady of the Snow
Masquerade
Rediscovery I & II
The Edge of Forever
The Sacrifice
Through The Looking Glass
Whispers

there are a lot of songs I'd like them to play. But it would need way too much time to play all of their great songs on this tour.
I would really enjoy a setlist like this
-----
Intro: Oculus Ex Inferni
* Set The World On Fire
* Dressed To Kill
* Paradise Lost
* Smoke And Mirrors
* The Accolade and Accolade II (would be great to see both in a row. but as said before a medley of these two would be awesome!!)
* Of Sins And Shadows
* Candlelight Fantasia
* Inferno
And as encore:
* The Odyssey

They could also rotate some songs. So they do one in the first show, and the next one in the second show. Might be bad for some people who are just going to see them once (I'm one of them :p ). But I think it would bring some variety to the shows. On most concerts I do know the setlist of the bands but it's just absolutely amazing if they randomly play another one :saint:
Only had this two times 'til now but it was a great experience and made the show much better.
Ah, it doesn't matter what they will play it's going to be amazing anyway :headbang:

In no particular order:

The Damnation Game
The Odyssey or The Divine Wings (best would probably be both)
Awakenings
Shades of Grey or Premonition
Rediscovery
Accolade I + II
Seven
The Walls of Babylon
Revelation

Rather than list 10 obscure songs that I personally would love but are not realistically going to be played...

This is what I would do if I were Symphony X on this tour, balancing promotion of Paradise Lost, appealing to the new/potential fans, and appealing to the long term die hard fans (in order of importance, respectively):

Ex Oculus Inferni
(Introduction - no Russ yet)
Set the World on Fire (flows from intro, plugs PL, good high energy heavy opener)
Evolution (can work a transition to replace the fade out easily, bands 'radio hit' ;) )

-brief 'we're Symphony X' intro / plug Paradise Lost-

The Serpent's Kiss (PL 'single', flows from new album plug)
Church of the Machine* (*any mid tempo groove song works here, key is slow down a bit)
Communion and the Oracle (the one light song for diversity, momentum builds hereafter)

-Introduce the band (the lull after Communion provides this opportunity because you don't kill any momentum, mood is more intimate)
-Then pull the clever 'this one's going way back for the die hard fans out there'

Damnation Game (would be SUCH a good live song, the solos are incredible)
Smoke and Mirrors (recognizable, good for old and new fans, keeps momentum building)
Of Sins and Shadows (concludes on 'the song that started it all', finishes strong)

-Encore-

[any short/heavy song from PL] (3 full songs from new album = good marketing)
Through the Looking Glass -or- Rediscovery I and II (always end on an epic)

There is only 1 good reason to end with The Odyssey - because it probably took 3000 hours of rehearsal time to make that thing playable live, and I'm sure it hurts to throw that effort away (entirely understandable). However, after at least 4 legs of touring in support of The Odyssey, I would consider that album officially plugged and move on to something else. Of course, this will depend on time allotment between now and then. If there is no time to rehearse a new epic, I will understand entirely why the Odyssey shows up.

I would truly prefer not to hear either Inferno or Sea of Lies again. Inferno is not as strong live as the band seems to think, and botching the intro every time doesn't help (hearing that low keyboard riff well enough in a live setting to stay in time must be quite an adventure) . Sea of Lies is boring live until the string skip/tap gimmick, which has its entertainment value, but it's not worth sitting through the rest of the song.

I'm glad to see Damnation Game getting a lot of love in these posts, of any 'classic/rare' song I would want to hear, that is the one I picture absolutely KILLING live. An added bonus in my set list - think about the solos in Damnation Game, Smoke and Mirrors, and Sins and Shadows - that's a major musicianship showcase right there. I think not only would the transition from the end of Damnation Game (big cheers for a classic) into Smoke and Mirrors (big cheers of recognition on that fantastic intro) be the strongest moment in the performance, but new/potential fans would walk away from that 3 song stretch thinking 'oh my god, these guys are out of their mind absurd musicians'.

The only other thing I would mention is that the band seems to have this impression that Sins and Shadows is generally understood as the song that put them on the map and therefore should be a mainstay of the set. To be honest I have never seen any extra special reception for it, and I'm not sure if the current fan base is really as in touch with that song as you may think. I find Evolution is the song interpreted as having that special meaning by current fan base. That is not to say it should be stricken from the set list - it's a strong live song and the solo trading section is fantastic and engaging. More so, I would reassess it's purpose in the set list - and consider subbing it out now and again.

Actually, according to MJR, they've done Accolade quite a few times & got lukewarm responses to it more often than not, so they're baffled by how many people ask for it.

I agree with you about the reception and I would say that both Accolade and Accolade II should not be in the set list for this tour. It's not that people do not like those songs - it's that in a live setting songs of that pace are tough because they are too chilled out to go berserk during, and yet too heavy for the lighters to come out. The only thing appropriate in response to that song is listening along and then clapping mildly at the end. For a terse set list, songs like that really mess up the momentum and concinity of the performance.

However, just because the reaction live is not energetic and obvious does not mean a lot of people don't go home saying that they really enjoyed hearing the song. In fact my girlfriend said after one of the longer shows that that was her favorite song of the night, despite us both being subdued and relaxed during its performance. So, on a tour like this one, I'd put it on the back burner. The day we finally get an 'Evening with Symphony X' show, both I and II are must plays.

Don't kill me, but theres heaps of songs i'd rather hear than TEOF, its a great song, but I think they've done much better in the more proggy department...

I agree

I agree with you about the reception and I would say that both Accolade and Accolade II should not be in the set list for this tour. It's not that people do not like those songs - it's that in a live setting songs of that pace are tough because they are too chilled out to go berserk during, and yet too heavy for the lighters to come out. The only thing appropriate in response to that song is listening along and then clapping mildly at the end. For a terse set list, songs like that really mess up the momentum and concinity of the performance.

However, just because the reaction live is not energetic and obvious does not mean a lot of people don't go home saying that they really enjoyed hearing the song. In fact my girlfriend said after one of the longer shows that that was her favorite song of the night, despite us both being subdued and relaxed during its performance. So, on a tour like this one, I'd put it on the back burner. The day we finally get an 'Evening with Symphony X' show, both I and II are must plays.

I see what you are saying, but i think most people would love hearing both back to back or something like that.
Both songs are very popular, and have a lot of soul to them, and both are in my top 5 songs of SX.
Maybe they are not the best live songs, but just because they are so great on the albums, maybe that will make up for the lack of live-ly-ness...

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set the World on Fire
Evolution
Communion and the Oracle
A Fool's Paradise
Serpent's Kiss
Paradise Lost
Eve of Seduction
Awakenings
Candlelight Fantasia

Encore:
Revelation
Accolade I and II

***I'm strongly feeling Accolade I and II will be played on this tour b/c of popular request

Songs I could care less if I ever heard again live:

Of Sins and Shadows
Inferno
Sea of Lies (Domination is the new "flashy bass intro" song)
Evolution
Smoke and Mirrors

These songs are, in my opinion, completely overrated and overplayed (particularly the first three). I would add Wicked and King of Terrors, but I think both these songs sound better live than Inferno or Sea of Lies.

"Must-Plays" from the new album:

Domination (killer live)
Paradise Lost (beautiful live)
Eve of Seduction (underrated!)
Walls of Babylon (epic awesome live)
Revelation (must be played!)

ok well im gonna start off by saying I know this setlist in its entirety is pretty unrealistic because almost the entire setlist is songs they have either never played live or havnt been playing live recently. However, I have seen the band live 4 times and I have never heard most of these live before and would love the opportunity to hear any of them. For a more realistic setlist I would understand if a song on here was replaced by another song from that album which is more popular or simiilar. But incorporating some of these would surely add some variety to the show. The order isnt necessary but this would be a nice sample order.

intro/set the world on fire

The serpents kiss (these are the 2 singles and would be good to promote the new album right from the start, were good live)

A fools paradise (certainly a fan favorite that has never been played live)

In the Dragons Den (amazing song, the drum intro would blow everyone away live, never heard it live, also the first SX song i ever heard)

Candlelight Fantasia (one of my all time favorites, i was dissapointed when they didnt play the whole song on the live album)

Absence of Light (great powerful song, never heard live)

The Edge of Forever (fan favorite that has been requested for so long, never heard it live)

Paradise Lost (would go nicely with the mood set by the edge of forever, also amazing song)

The Turning
or
Incantations of the Apprentice (the only 2 songs on the odyssey ive never heard live, chances are they wont play them but it would keep things fresh, though i suppose any other songs around the same length from the odyssey would be fine, accolade II is highly asked for and i loved seeing that live so that would work too)

Eve of Seduction (tied for my favorite song off the new album, just an amazing song and would work great live)

Out of the Ashes (I saw them play this one live one time and it blew me away, would be nice to put on instead of sea of lies to mix things up, sea of lies is good but way over played)

The Damnation Game (highly requested, would be awsome live, we need more stuff from this album, great album but way under played, dressed to kill would be fine too)

Rediscovery (this is my all time favorite Symphony X song, the more I hear it the more it grows on me, it has everything an epic should have, and is one of their most technical and well composed pieces of music written IMO. If there is one song I would like to see live above any other its this one)

------
encore

Revelation (this is tied with eve of seduction for my favorite song off the new album and would be a perfect way to end the show)

above anything else, I really want to see Rediscovery but any of these changes would be fresh and welcomed

also, I would welcome a song off the first album since I would love to hear these a little updated and with Russ singing, I was psyched when I heard they were gonna re record it with Russ but then I was disapointed when they decided not to, though I understand how busy they were and it makes sense that they didnt have time.

setlist should be around 90 minutes if I calculated it right, if not... sorry, a song or 2 could be dropped if its over time

I also just want to say thanks Jax for setting up this poll and I appreciate the guys willingness to mix things up a bit :)

Songs I could care less if I ever heard again live:

Of Sins and Shadows
Inferno
Sea of Lies (Domination is the new "flashy bass intro" song)
Evolution
Smoke and Mirrors

These songs are, in my opinion, completely overrated and overplayed (particularly the first three). I would add Wicked and King of Terrors, but I think both these songs sound better live than Inferno or Sea of Lies.

"Must-Plays" from the new album:

Domination (killer live)
Paradise Lost (beautiful live)
Eve of Seduction (underrated!)
Walls of Babylon (epic awesome live)
Revelation (must be played!)

Yeah, I think you have a point there. A song like King Of Terrors could really replace Of Sins and Shadows and I wouldn't be missing it (even when I haven't heard either one live!).

Also, as SyXified pointed out, the volume of the audience after a song doesn't necessarily show how much it was liked.

Not a full setlist, but I would love to see:

Damnation Game, Church of the Machine, Orion the Hunter, Pharoah

In general, more stuff before V, such as DWOT, TTLG, etc...

Thanks,
Bill

One of my absolute favourites is the Odyssey (surprise surprise :lol:) . And there's nothing I would like to see more than they playing it live. But of course I do understand if they don't do it.

Other than that hmm...
Both Accolades
Sea of Lies (first SX song I heard, surprise surprise :lol:)
Communion and the Oracle
Egypt
Both Rediscoverys
Wicked (love to headbang on this one!)
and maybe couple from the Paradise Lost... like Walls of Babylon and Paradise Lost

They never visit Finalnd though :cry: they were here with DT but "only" warming...

PHAAAARAOHHHS CURSE UPON YOUUUU!!!
lol signed up just to participate in the poll, well id love pharaoh to be on the new setlist =D
as for other stuff
in no particular order (may exceed 90 minutes but those are just the songs id love to hear)

oculus ex inferni
set the world on fire
eve of seduction
paradise lost
walls of babylon
accolade I
Accolade II
pharaoh
the eyes of medusa
king of terrors
church of the machine
frontiers (too much to ask eh)