Gigantour Setlist Survey Results

Yngvai X said:
DT and Nevermore are also headliners and have a large fanbase as it is. SymX needs to make their set a constant "best of" that rips peoples heads off in order to get new fans.
Their set is only going to consist of 5-6 songs, because of time restraints, and they have enough great songs to swap one or two out, now & then, and still rip peoples heads off. Their fans would appreciate it, and those who aren't fans yet, will still get great material.

I don't see how, for instance, playing 'Evolution' one night and swapping it out, for say 'Sea of Lies', the next gig would fail to win them new fans.

TheWhisper said:
Their set is only going to consist of 5-6 songs, because of time restraints, and they have enough great songs to swap one or two out, now & then, and still rip peoples heads off. Their fans would appreciate it, and those who aren't fans yet, will still get great material.

I don't see how, for instance, playing 'Evolution' one night and swapping it out, for say 'Sea of Lies', the next gig would fail to win them new fans.

I agree, considering how many bad ass songs they have they can easily pull it off.

I think of Sea of Lies is the song that makes people drop their jaws moreso than any of their songs. If there's one song they should play all the time to open up to new fans it's gotta be "Sea Of Lies."

But it would be sweet if they could swap some songs every night for 3 nights, like Nevermore is doing.

Personally, I'm fine if they want to do the aforementioned songs...as long as they throw in some really obscure ones when they headline later on and even possibly if they can squeeze in a headliner at L'Amours in Brooklyn during their Gigantour festivities.
Is this something that's in the pipeline?

Jax?

Prismatic Sphere said:
Personally, I'm fine if they want to do the aforementioned songs...as long as they throw in some really obscure ones when they headline later on and even possibly if they can squeeze in a headliner at L'Amours in Brooklyn during their Gigantour festivities.
Is this something that's in the pipeline?

Jax?

MJR definitely knows that it's time to mix up the setlist, after sticking to the same basic set for the past few years (with some minor changes here and there). He was under the impression that rotating setlists were something the fans didn't like (he thought people would be mad if they missed a song one night that was played another night); I let him know that most fans find rotating setlists to be a positive thing though, so watch for them to do more of that in the future. There's no way to say exactly what they'll choose to play on the next tour; Mike has a copy of the results of the setlist survey we just did, so he's well aware of what ya'll want to hear.

Odds are against them doing any side shows during Gigantour, as far as I know. I don't know what their contract says as far as what they can/can't do during the time they're contracted to be part of Gigantour (often a tour like this will only allow them to do shows related to the tour itself; I'll ask MJR when we talk next, though, cuz now I'm curious); I'd say it's probably safer to just assume that it won't happen.

Jax said:
Odds are against them doing any side shows during Gigantour, as far as I know. I don't know what their contract says as far as what they can/can't do during the time they're contracted to be part of Gigantour (often a tour like this will only allow them to do shows related to the tour itself; I'll ask MJR when we talk next, though, cuz now I'm curious); I'd say it's probably safer to just assume that it won't happen.

Yeah, I kinda feared that this might be the case. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll take what I can get.

Jax said:
MJR definitely knows that it's time to mix up the setlist, after sticking to the same basic set for the past few years (with some minor changes here and there). He was under the impression that rotating setlists were something the fans didn't like (he thought people would be mad if they missed a song one night that was played another night); I let him know that most fans find rotating setlists to be a positive thing though, so watch for them to do more of that in the future. There's no way to say exactly what they'll choose to play on the next tour; Mike has a copy of the results of the setlist survey we just did, so he's well aware of what ya'll want to hear.

Okay, this is good to hear! :) very cool. Thanks!

Boston...feel your pain....we here in the N Carolina were completely passed over with Atlanta being the closest show. Hoping the support tour will come a wee bit closer, having not seen them since they opened for Blind Guardian.

This may be a little late, but I just counted the length of time of each song, and if i'm right, there should be time left for a shorter song (I.E. A 3 minute song) and i know just the song to put in those extra few minutes:
LACRYMOSA/ THE DEATH OF BALANCE!!!!!!!!
There's gotta be a few of you who would love to see that, especially the fellow Drummers out there who really appreciate Jason Rullo.

Yea, its DEFINITELY time for a new setlist. I mean a COMPLETELY new one.

Dragons Den
Edge of Forever
SAVAVGE CURTAIN (we all know badass curtains are the rage in pits today)
Rediscovery
The Turning
A Fools Paradise
TTLG
Orion
... just to name a FEW

and if the new album sucks, play the entire self titled album =)

urinalcakemix said:
Yea, its DEFINITELY time for a new setlist. I mean a COMPLETELY new one.

Dragons Den
Edge of Forever
SAVAVGE CURTAIN (we all know badass curtains are the rage in pits today)
Rediscovery
The Turning
A Fools Paradise
TTLG
Orion
... just to name a FEW

and if the new album sucks, play the entire self titled album =)

Please leave out Orion, it's one of my least favourite SX songs. Instead of playing the self-titled album, wouldn't it be much cooler if they played The Odyssey of The Divine Wings Of Tragedy (the songs that is)?

Anything off Damnation game would make me very happy to hear live, and any previous unplayed live V songs, and of course Candlelight Fantasia in its entirety live (though I heard in a thread that they couldnt simulate the delay guitar effects live, but I dont see why not...). Unfortunately I will be unable to make any of the Gigantour dates since Im going on vacation and it conflicts with the Gigantour schedule but when they tour for the next album it would be great to hear some of that stuff for sure!

ElvenShadow said:
Anything off Damnation game would make me very happy to hear live, and any previous unplayed live V songs, and of course Candlelight Fantasia in its entirety live (though I heard in a thread that they couldnt simulate the delay guitar effects live, but I dont see why not...). Unfortunately I will be unable to make any of the Gigantour dates since Im going on vacation and it conflicts with the Gigantour schedule but when they tour for the next album it would be great to hear some of that stuff for sure!

yeah they can, he does the same thing during Champion of Ithaca, and if I remember right he did them when I saw them.